Australian Gangster

The violent content means it’s not suitable for the 8.30pm timeslot anyway.

Australian Gangster schedule to be a 2-night run on Monday and Tuesday night next week. Each episode is 90 minutes.

Good to see it have an airdate of Monday and Tuesday (instead of the usual Sundays, and a week apart). The 9pm start is okay i guess if there is alot of violence. But i just hope that the 90 minute episodes are just that, and not extend it to 107 minutes full of ads.

Monday’s premiere is 100 minutes long (9.10pm to 10.50pm) including ads.

Next week’s premiere is facing a new legal hurdle. News Corp reports Melinda Barbaro, the widow of Pasquale Barbaro, has sent a “cease and desist” letter demanding Seven and production company Roadshow Rough Diamond halt the screening, because of the “psychological impact” on the couple’s two children. Mrs Barbaro has also consulted a law firm to begin legal proceedings against both companies.
Pasquale Barbaro was shot dead on the streets of Earlwood in Sydney in 2016.

Really? I don’t think that’s correct. We have had series with violence and possibly a lot worse air at 8:30pm

From TV Tonight newsletter:

With a cease & desist sent to 7 by family objecting to Australian Gangster, it looks to have been removed from media previews.

This is turning into another Underbelly.

It’s the same show really.

An original soundtrack, composed by Richard Pike, is now available on Spotify and Apple Music.

Caught up with the show over the weekend. Seven might have promoted it as “inspired by real events” to avoid legal troubles, but the characters displayed in the closing credits clearly gave it away.

Alexander Bertrand (who later starred in Les Norton) did a brilliant portrayal of Pasquale Barbaro as did Louisa Mignone (Zaina in Wentworth and Violetta in Ms Fisher’s Modern Murder Mysteries) as his wife Melinda. The mini-series as a whole was quite good with some dark humour, such as the scene where Pasquale hurriedly played the DVD of horror movie Child’s Play for his kids, before dashing out of the door.

The involvement of Create NSW meant the crew got to film in real-life locations like the Sydney Tower, Anzac Bridge and Sydney Airport domestic terminal.

According to an article from The Age Green Guide on September 9, John and Dan Edwards were planning to a series on a different Pasquale Barbaro when they first pitched the idea to Seven in November 2016.

I really enjoyed this series and it was a lot better than I was expecting. We’ve seen so many Underbelly style miniseries so I’m over the genre but I think it was a really good production.

I completely agree with you about the humour. There was some really good banter and the dialogue was great even when it was serious.

Also agree about the standout performance by Alexander Bertrand. He really was brilliant, especially after seeing how different his character was in Les Norton where he was a real ocker Aussie. I think he really perfected his Italian Australian accent and he never dropped it once throughout. He deserves an award for that performance.

2 Likes

I was surprised at this. I really enjoyed it.

One thing I did notice is although a accurate re-creation of 7NEWS graphics, they used the current version of the mission. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I really enjoyed it too. I thought everyone on here would hate it though judging by how condescending some tv websites were of it.

Fast paced, something different than the usual fare of Australian drama this year and thought the filming and acting was very good.

Abuzar Sultani and Siar Munshizada were yesterday given life prison sentences for the killing of three underworld figures, including Pasquale Barbaro. Fellow gang members Josh Baines and Mirwais Danishyar were jailed for 36 years and 15 years respectively for their roles in Barbaro’s murder.

Their murder trials took three years, which delayed the broadcast of Australian Gangster.