Australian Community Media

1 Like
1 Like

So the Cat wants a taxpayer handout to cover his debts

1 Like

‘We’re fighting every day’ for your news’.

ACM have gutted newsrooms that have already been butchered by Fairfax and Rural Press and now they want to make out they’re a saviour.

Delusional and hoping for a gullible audience to believe their tripe. Wake up if you haven’t already.

1 Like

They’re still banging on about their (now abandoned) plans to merge with Prime being limited because it will reduce voices in some markets, yet have never explained how the community actually benefits from a voice reduction other than it saves their business.

For a business that continually says that regional media is important, they do a really poor job of justifying why they should be the beneficiary of changes that have real potential to harm the industry they want to thrive.

According to the article, ACM has “more than” 110,000 digital subscribers across the 40 mastheads where they offer a digital subscription - seems low, perhaps a reflection that people don’t want to pay the price ACM puts on their output

2 Likes

I’ll put this here for the lack of a regional newspapers thread

2 Likes

Newsprint prices are set to skyrocket on July 1, which the government was previously warned was coming during an inquiry into the health of the regional newspaper sector.

1 Like

Watch for some movement on this in tomorrows papers

Problem is they don’t control the paper supply so they are at the mercy of them. Don’t think it is reasonable (IMO) for the government to be directly supporting them in this instance when it is simply the market at work. Either find savings elsewhere or start cutting the physical papers again. It is unfortunate though.

2 Likes

I understand where they’re coming from but feel as though the timing of this could backfire significantly. People who are affected by the cost of living crisis, interest rate rises, regional housing shortage, regional health crisis etc are likely to view this headline as being tone deaf and predominately self serving.

2 Likes

It is.

As desperate and laughable as regional TV crying poor.

What did ACM announce yesterday as speculated here they would?

Nine ran self serving twaddle on TV & online news regarding newsprint cost. Nothing about ACM’s decision as have they announced anything?

1 Like

All the ACM newspapers ran the below front page.

From all reports it didn’t go down all too well, people I know that have links to the Border Mail have said that staff at the paper disagreed with the decision to run that front page but were overruled from higher up.

1 Like

ACM put the price of their papers up this week - not insubstantially either - blaming cost of production increases. Interestingly, they didn’t bother to tell customers until the day the cover price rose (they’d told newsagents and retail outlets in advance).

I’d imagine that a lot of these papers will be reaching a tipping point where the cost of the paper really outweighs any benefit the paper actually delivers (being content). I imagine they’ll see a decent drop in circulation in the coming months as a result.

2 Likes

News Corp and Fairfax/Nine also told newsagents and retail outlets (but not customers) in advance of price rises for their papers. Although, when Herald Sun and Daily Telegraph last raised their cover prices earlier this year, they published a small article on page 2 of the paper a couple of days prior.

1 Like

I’d hate to think how much ACM’s cover price it be without the 26 full pages of advertising for Harvey Norman/Joyce Mayne/Domayne.

2 Likes
1 Like

The channel numbering in the headings above the listings does my head in. Why aren’t they directing viewers to the HD channels? Nice to see ACM bothered to keep up with the changes to regional channel names but they continue to list “local news” for a regional Seven area that hasn’t had it for decades. Looks like the same guide is used across all of ACM’s mastheads regardless of regional variations.

1 Like

They probably are new episodes of Judge Judy on SC Ten, as they aired Infomercials (or with Nine for five recent years) in that slot for many years.

1 Like

ACM is closing down several community newspapers across South Western Sydney, including Campbelltown Macarthur Advertiser, Camden-Narellan Advertiser, Wollondilly Advertiser, Liverpool City Champion & Fairfield City Champion, with this week’s edition of each paper being its last.

Each final front page of the above papers via this link:

The St George & Sutherland Shire Leader will continue to be published.

1 Like