Australian Community Media

even now theres not much in it

1 Like

My local ACM paper today is 16 pages - two of which are an ad for Coles.

You’ve got to wonder how long realistically these papers have given the lack of non Coronavirus news and what appears to be very little advertisers.

3 Likes
1 Like

So will The Canberra Times now be printed in North Richmond in outer north western Sydney?

1 Like

Here is a similar article without the paywall:

EDIT: reaction from Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance

1 Like

The Australian and the AFR are both reporting that News Corp is negotiating to sell its regional and community newspapers to Australian Community Media. The NT News is not for sale, and a couple of other ‘key titles’ could stay with News if a deal is finalized. A bone of contention in the negotiations is exactly what titles News would hold on to.

1 Like

The Hobart Mercury might be another title that could stay with News Corp so the company still has a print presence in every capital except Perth and Canberra? Not sure if titles in larger regional markets like the Townsville Bulletin, Geelong Advertiser, Gold Coast Bulletin and Cairns Post would be kept or sold, although I can definitely see just about all the former APN Regional papers being flogged off to ACM.

I also wonder what will happen in markets (of which there are several in Sydney, not sure about other areas) that are served by News Corp and ACM suburban papers.

2 Likes

News would keep all six capital city papers, and yes you would imagine only the biggest regional papers would be a possibility of staying with News.

1 Like

ACM - the dregs from Fairfax and News.

1 Like

looks like its off

4 Likes
1 Like

The full petition can be found here

1 Like
1 Like

ACM seem confused about which country Canberra is in (top-right):

It’s bad enough they hide the National news section (below “What’s On”, the practically empty “Sport”, “AllHomes”, pointless “Travel” , & “Recommended” sections), but now they seem to have a strange idea of what belongs in there.
The old joke about Australia being like the 51st state of the USA comes to mind, but nah.

2 Likes

Good news for all the furloughed and sacked ACM journos!

1 Like

I notice that ACM have really ratcheted up the use of the paywall as well - very little of their local content is outside the wall now

2 Likes

The question would be is the increased audience translating to any increase in revenue?

1 Like

UPDATE 29/6

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like