Australia Day Honours 2021

… says who? that’s like saying it’s OK to be a little bit pregnant …

I should clarify - it isn’t like a typical media embargo as all the people involved in nominating the winners and the winners themselves know. So lots of people outside the media have information on the winners.

4 Likes

er actually yes they are … irrespective of where it’s sourced, if the media organisation has received information under embargo they are obliged to maintain that embargo … all that’s going to happen as a result of this is that the panel will no longer send out the information in advance to any media organisiation that has shown disregard for the agreement …

… true to a point … but those people only know about themselves or the person they have nominated so you would have to be suggesting that the “leak” came from Court herself (or one of the people who nominated her) … unlikely I would have thought …

Embargos are not legal documents, Justin had every right to break it, seeing as it wasn’t even given to him by the organisation, he got it from a source.

It’s in the public interest that a bigoted personality, best known for her anti-gay views is being given an award, based only on culture wars, not because of her tennis achievements as she’s already been awarded for those, it’s not like she’s won any other titles recently.

5 Likes

It also gives other recipients of awards some clean air so have their honours recognised and celebrated on the day without the focus on Court’s questionable upgrade to an AC.

2 Likes

Agreed. To the best of my knowledge, the embargo hasn’t been broken for any recipients expected to receive their honours (or at least media coverage) on January 26 other than Margaret Court.

Either way…

*There were people far more worthy of recognition in the Australia Day honours last year than the highly divisive Bettina Arndt.
*There will be people far more worthy of recognition in the Australia Day honours this year than the highly divisive Margaret Court.
*There’ll probably be people far more worthy of recognition in the Australia Day honours next year than another questionable, highly divisive choice.

3 Likes

… you forgot one
*from next year the panel will only send out an embargoed media release to those journalists who can be trusted to respect it …

Again, Smith didn’t receive an embargoed media release.

4 Likes

Even more reason for the panel to justify reducing who gets the list early

1 Like

They are released early to allow media to prepare coverage and the like. But the fact is, way more people know about the contents during the internet age than would have in previous eras.

4 Likes

again … who mentioned “Smith”?

Doubt it. It’s important the event it talked about. Limiting the information is just going to take it away from the headlines.

1 Like

I didn’t realise that the bar for a public interest test was so low that a thought the discourse post the 26th being “pointless and tedious” clears it.

That’s not to suggest that it shouldn’t get coverage - this will be the third honour to be awarded to Court (one under the imperial system) the last two basically “levelling up” to a higher honour, for what? Her sports performances were decades ago and her divisive beliefs certainly don’t deserve coverage let alone honouring

There are issues with how we issue honours - especially those at the higher end of the scale and it doesn’t help that in the recent past they’ve been awarded a lot more to forward some political motive or agenda

4 Likes

Rupert Murdoch, who received a Papal knighthood in 1998 and an AC in 1984, has been awarded an Australia Day UK lifetime achievement award.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Which (along with Sam Kerr’s award) has absolutely nothing to do with the official Australia Day honours awarded by the GG.

But it seems the Twittersphere has already bolted to the incorrect conclusion.

1 Like

Other winners include -
Senior Australian of the Year: Miriam-Rose Ungunmerr-Baumann (NT)
Young Australian of the Year: Isobel Marshall (SA)
Local Hero: Rosemary Kariuki (NSW)

4 Likes

Grace Tame from Tasmania has just been named the 2021 Australian of the Year. She started the campaign for #LetHerSpeak which led to #LetThemSpeak about rules in Tasmania and I think some other states preventing victims of sexual abuse from being able to identify themselves. Grace had been raped by a school teacher when she was 15.

Hopefully after the way the discussion has gone over some awards the past few days we can celebrate true achievements and while it’s a terrible thing that happened to Grace, I’m glad she was able to turn it into something positive for so many others.

I also noticed that Grace is the daughter of Penny Tame the former WIN News reader from Tasmania also.

5 Likes

O’Brien was recognised with an AO for his “distinguished service to the broadcast media, and to journalism, as a current affairs television presenter, interviewer and reporter”.

The 2021 Australia Day honours list were released at 10pm AEDT.

5 Likes