August 2019 Stabbing Incident in Sydney

And I think all networks need to tone down the size of their banners and should drop them during news stories.

Just been to the UK and can’t tell you how refreshing it is to see news with minimal banners. They pop at the start of a story and disappear for the rest of the story. Quality stuff. If only our news services could make their news look classy like that.

1 Like

7’s “The Latest on FB Watch” has 520,000 views in 8 hours.

Would make it the most watched single “bulletin” in all of Australia. By far.

It’s not really about the news or, you know, actually reporting on the ground, getting original info and the like for NBC and ABC - when it comes to world news. It never has been. This happens constantly with Australian stories. Their job is to keep their viewers - who are too zoned out to care or think - in insulated bubbles of only their manicured “star reporters” sitting in glamorous, busy-looking, branded, air-conditioned offices in Europe telling them reports comprised of the most superficial information lifted from other agencies doing the same thing, so that it comes across often as pretty unreliable, overly simplified, clichéd third or fourth or fifth-hand information that’s gone through multiple European offices. The result is very poor journalism. But then, for ABC and NBC in particular, it’s not really about good journalism.

Oh, and don’t include too many of those pesky foreign accents either - like interviews with locals in those faraway places - because what’s coming out of their mouths is usually difficult for the home viewer in Buttfuck to get their head around.

1 Like

‘Special Coverage’ on Sunrise this morning. Whilst it was done well, I am not sure 10 minutes of coverage with 2 reporters at the start of the show was warranted- more than 12 hours after the incident. The only ‘new detail’ was that the perpetrator is still under mental health assessment, which could have been mentioned in a 90 second report.

5 Likes

Yes for ACST viewers. However Darwin receives Sydney afternoon news so they would’ve had decent coverage from both Nine and ABC.

Did Sunrise actually think it was appropriate to have a photo of the attacker as a backdrop behind Kochie and Sam for their entire show this morning???

1 Like

well since im out side sydney i turned to the today show as i thought 12 mins of coverage was way to much , did sunrise think that only sydney sider’s were watching today???

Never have I seen such a ridiculous reaction to a stabbing before. Recent murders in Melbourne have received nowhere near this kind of saturation, despite being what I would consider far more insidious.

Goes to show how Sydney-centric the Australian media is.

5 Likes

Ratings numbers:

Nine’s 6pm bulletins outside Sydney were way down on usual. Brisbane in particular where it had its lowest Tuesday result for the 2019 survey.

2 Likes

I think that goes more to Nine’s rolling coverage that put their coverage out nationally. As I posted above, Seven only had rolling coverage in Sydney and in QLD even the Seven 4pm news did not have the Sydney events as their main story while Nine having just had one hour of non-stop coverage from Sydney started their local 4pm news with the same story.

2 Likes

While I agree with your overall point about the Australian media being very Sydney-centric, I seem to recall comparable recent incidents in Melbourne (January 2017, December 2017, November 2018) getting a similar level of media coverage nationally compared to what I saw for yesterday’s Sydney CBD stabbing?

The Darwin shooting back in June? Now that actually was a far worse event which probably would’ve received blanket rolling coverage (complete with a “nation in mourning” angle, etc.) for days afterwards if it happened in Sydney or Melbourne. But instead, the commercial networks were slow to pick up the initial coverage due to their lack of resources in the Top End.

1 Like

It was breaking news about a threat to public safety in the middle of the afternoon in Australia’s biggest, most heavily populated city when all of the newsrooms were running at full capacity in preparation for the afternoon and evening news output. Of course they were all over it. If it had happened in an outer suburb of Sydney (think Minto 2016) it wouldn’t have received the same level of coverage. Big, breaking stories in the heavily populated east coast capitals will always receive saturation coverage. We had days of it during the 2011 Brisbane floods.

5 Likes

When Vic and Qld state political stories lead the national news bulletins on Nine I don’t see anyone on Mediaspy complaining, yet NSW stories on the same bulletins get complaints.

I can’t see the problem with a one minute story about breaking news in Sydney leading a Brisbane news bulletin. It was a different news program to the one that preceded it.

1 Like

I don’ think I have ever seen that happen

Try watching around election time, and when a leader gets shafted.

1 Like

Very disappointed with 9 and 7 identifying a woman I know personally incorrectly as the alleged perpetrators mother. She is in fact his aunty.

If you ask me, I reckon the ABC’s Media Watch program should be informed about that!

Those were terror attacks though, this was just a mental health case. Stabbings like these happen frequently.

Most of the rolling coverage of yesterday’s event started AFTER the guy had been taken into custody. The public safety of whom? The paint on the inside of the paddy wagon?

10,000 homes flooded is a pretty rare event.

3 Likes

Nobody knew that until a couple of hours after the event.

Stabbings as part of domestic violence incidents I guess are frequent. A guy walking through the streets of Sydney, or any city, wielding a knife and attacking random people is rare.

1 Like

Caps of the Seven coverage between 3pm and 5pm:

4 Likes