As-yet-unnamed Newshub replacement

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/350269580/samantha-hayes-front-stuffs-new-6pm-tv-bulletin-alongside-other-key-talent

14 Likes

Great appointment, seems like the natural choice.

Key Journalist hires

Journalists including Jenna Lynch, Laura Tupou, Ollie Ritchie, Juliet Speedy, Zane Small and Heather Keats, are among the group of new hires.

Other hires

Leading the team is one of the country’s most experienced broadcast producers, Claire Watson, who has been appointed 6pm’s executive producer, while Steve Gore-Smith, currently Newshub’s Senior Manager of Operations, will become Stuff’s Director of Video Operations and Technology.

9 Likes

Simon Shepherd, Rebecca Wright, and Nick Truebridge have also signed up to join Stuff too.

5 Likes

I think Nick Truebridge might be going to the written word side.

1 Like

Was it not rumoured recently it’d be simple called 3News?

2 Likes

It was. It has not been officially announced.

1 Like

Cheers

I can see it obviously leveraging Stuff’s resources and making reference to it, but mostly acting similarly to ITN’s production of UK commercial news for ITV, 4 and 5.

4 Likes

I thought they might have not hired anyone from Newshub’s political team when Stuff already have two pol journos with a lot of tv experience… Tova and Andrea Vance

1 Like

I guess they’re in jobs already so it would have required some shuffling around - and Vance/Tova have probably done their dash being political editors. Am sure they’ll pop up from time to time though

1 Like

Since Rebecca Wright has signed up, she’ll join forces with Tova O’Brien as her former 3News colleague!

Screengrab from the NZ IP Office just now…

Untitled

As mentioned in the NewsHub Thread a couple of weeks ago, looks like +HR=E News is the go-er… as for the gower, it looks like Paddy G’s going to do his own thing on the internet. Not sure how he’ll get on protecting a brand with an expletive in there though!

15 Likes

Have they confirmed it yet? They said it was being considered. Its a stink name in all honesty

1 Like

What in gods name is This Is The Fucking News?!

6 Likes

I think Paddy has left it 9 years too late to start selling t-shirts with “This is the Fucking News” … but hey, could be wrong lol

5 Likes
11 Likes

More content for The Cheap Seats :smile:

4 Likes

ICYMI - this clip never aired on TV - it was an Auckland Law Revue project.

3 Likes

It’s a good decade old but very funny

(Was a parody put together for Auckland University students law revue iirc)

1 Like

This is great news for NZ. However, there really needs to be a 24/7 NZ news channel, like ABC News in Australia. If the govt is not interested (TVNZ news channel was closed down to save money by the Keys govt), then Stuff is well placed to fill the void.

1 Like

The fact Three had to cut their news service and TVNZ cutting two bulletins shows the market is in no position to do a 24/7 news channel. The revenue just doesn’t stack up anymore.

8 Likes