ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

They would have to rebrand Hot 100 in Darwin as well.

4 Likes

Its an obvious choice to move 7HO to KIIS101.7, but the current format really doesn’t fit that new chart music style that KIIS is known for, and it’s not really a format that has traditionally worked in Hobart.

The glory years of TTT and Sea FM are exceptions, but that was well before streaming…and had a very strong legacy breakfast show.

I Certainly could see 7HO, LAFM, 7SD, 7BU, 7AD, and 7XS being one network, strongly aligned to the ‘Gold/WS’ network, then Chilli, and the Sea FM branded stations (plus maybe a new Hobart DAB) moved closer to a KIIS/HOT network.

5 Likes

I would like them to rebrand Darwin. Hot 100 sounds a bit too SCA for my liking.

1 Like

Hot 100 is a legacy name for Darwin though. Their first commercial FM station and for a time their only commercial station. To change that one would not be good. It doesn’t matter what it sounds like to a southerner, but to a local Hot 100 is Darwin.

5 Likes

Or change HOT100 to 8DN and make Mix 104.9, KIIS104.9

1 Like

I think 8DN is too long gone to revive. Many Darwin residents are interstate born and generally a younger demographic, so many wouldn’t remember 8DN.

3 Likes

Ummm No, HOT 100 was around before HOT FM went to Air in Townsville

4 Likes

Well 97.3 would be the case of the opposite - KIIS being applied to a very un-KIIS format. Certainly haven’t been indications of a music shift since the rebrand. KIIS doesn’t mean anything to the people of Hobart - for good or ill.

Is that a bad thing though? When people were listening to 92.9 and it became “Hit”, I don’t think any listeners changed their listening habits, or what they called it.

If the frequency is the brand, then you’re fine to put a name in front of it, and people can find it by either saying “I listen to KIIS” or “I listen to 97.3” - either works, no difference. If you change a name - like Mix to KIIS, and people say “I listen to Mix” then you don’t make sense.

3 Likes

Does anyone know what the culture is like in Ballarat? Ive been looking at a role working on Power FM but they have put up ads for 4 different roles in the past 2 weeks. Makes me a bit worried about the turnover rate and the working culture if several people have left at once… hoping someone may have some knowledge.

2 Likes

I’ve heard whispers it’s not great, but I don’t know for sure.

With that being said, it looks like some are just moving through the ARN network.

2 Likes

Doesn’t this person at ARN know how to spell KIIS?

4 Likes

Actually that question in reverse. Doesn’t ARN know how to spell KISS?

Hate the KIIS spelling.

3 Likes

That spelling is based on Los Angeles radio station with the actual callsign of KIIS and calls itself 'kiss" on-air. The reason for its use here I believe is that Kyle S. wanted the Sydney station to adopt that ID if he was to move there from 2DAY. Pretty stupid!

7 Likes

Yep exactly. And the LA station was only spelled that way as its original AM frequency was 1150 and the 115 looks like IIS… And this was in the 1970s

2 Likes

And I wonder if 2DAY FM was a nod to KDAY 1580 in LA…

Going the other way, there is a JOGB in Kumamoto Japan on 873 kHz.

2 Likes

Also they might have done that to avoid brand confusion with Kiss FM Melbourne, who also owns the domain kissfm.com.au

3 Likes
3 Likes

Looking at the following other station’s websites, it appears that Galey, Emily Jade & Christo has also expanded to Star in Townsville & Mackay, Hitz in Bundaberg, Power FM in Muswellbrook, and Magic in Spencer Gulf, Port Lincoln & Renmark.

2 Likes

The show is quite Gold Coast centric in its approach. I couldn’t imagine how that’s flying with the good people of Darwin and Muswellbrook.

3 Likes

This has probably been mentioned already but Magic 93.1 Riverland (and no doubt the other Magic stations) are using the same playlist/log as K Rock in Geelong. I am currently in Geelong but thought I would listen to 93.1 online just to compare the stations out of interest to see if there are any similarities following 93.1 being sold off. Of course, the songs are played half an hour later on 93.1, so I can use the K Rock song history to know what’s coming up. I did forget that I was listening to an interstate station, so I was wondering why the 2:00 news was at 2:30! :laughing:

2 Likes