Analysis of the ratings system

I’ve noticed heaps of media today using Seven’s adjusted “2.6m” for the match of the Australian Open Men’s Final.

Although probably because the needed to, as everyone knows the movie “The Net” didn’t even end-up airing.

But the adjusted number provide by Seven is the same as the preliminary.

###OzTAM adds weekly Live Video Player Measurement (VPM) Report

Complements VPM top catch up program reports
Adds to understanding of changing consumer behaviour around TV content

OzTAM today adds a weekly Live Video Player Measurement (VPM) Report to the reports available on its website.

Posted on Tuesday mornings, OzTAM’s Live VPM report captures the top live-streamed programs each week (preceding Sunday to Saturday).

OzTAM’s CEO Doug Peiffer said: “OzTAM’s Live VPM Report is the latest enhancement in our Video Player Measurement service.

“It demonstrates differences in how people consume online catch up TV and now live- streamed broadcast content.

“Sport and news tend to dominate Live VPM, as the content is more ‘perishable’. Catch up is more about watching at a time and manner of the viewer’s choosing; drama and entertainment are usually the most watched catch up programs.

“Both are important in understanding how people engage with TV content, and the opportunity to live stream or catch up keeps audiences close to their favourite programs.”

OzTAM’s VPM reporting service typically captures around 30-50 million minutes of VPM content, on average, a day. Of that, catch up comprises 25-35 million minutes, and live streaming 5-15 million minutes.

Overall, viewing of online broadcast content – including catch up and live streaming – currently accounts for approximately 1 to 2 per cent of all broadcast content viewed each week in total. However VPM can represent a sizeable portion of a program episode’s total audience, similar to the way some broadcast programs see significant audience increases from time-shifted viewing.

1 Like

First Live VPM report is posted - link below. It will be added to the week’s ratings report.

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/week-5-2017/2537/6?u=tv.cynic

Bear with me if there are any errors, trying to match the OzTAM report to the forum.

1 Like

2017 ratings year starts today.

4 Likes

Posts recently made in this thread have been shifted: The Future of TV

News Corp reports the OzTAM metro panel will expand by 50%, from 3500 to 5250 homes across the five capital cities from April 30.

3 Likes

@TV.Cynic
For example, the movie “The Bucket List” & Better Homes and Gardens are both airing in every market, but at different times & on different channels.

I imagine there’ll only by one entry each in tomorrow’s ratings for Seven then?

(i.e.)
BH&G figure on 7Two from 7:30pm to 8:30pm in Melb & Adel will be combined into the 5 city figire?

The Bucket List airing on 7mate in Melb & Adel at 7:30 will be combined into the 5 city figure?

NOTE:
Seven are actually airing two versions of The Bucket List tonight:

An edited “PG” version for Melb and Adel on 7mate at 7:30 & the uncut “M” version for Syd, Bris & Perth on Ch 7 at 8:30pm.

My guess would be yes and yes. We’ll find out tomorrow fo sure.

With subscription ratings, I don’t get why the numbers change?

I understand there’s preliminary, adjusted & end of week confirmation (like FTA).

But (for example), during last year’s epic AFL Prelim Final between GWS & the Western Bulldogs, MediaWeek reported on twitter:

•At first 534k.

•Then they adjusted it later to 565k?

•Then later in the year it was confirmed by Foxtel as 543k?

(It’s an AFL Foxtel ratings record).

Does Foxtel numbers take into account those who record it and then exclude them if they dont watch?

1 Like

534,000 was final overnight. 543,000 was 7 day and 28 day consolidated.

STV numbers are done the same as FTA.

1 Like

Approximately what week (I think it’s around now or very soon) do OzTam release a ‘half year’ report?

Top programs (last week of DEC 2016 to present), YTD shares, etc?

I kmow @TV.Cynic posts an article every year :slight_smile: A great way to remember / keep track!

OzTAM don’t release half year reports. The year to date shares are posted each week.

1 Like

###Australian video viewing report

Q U A R T E R - 1 - 2 0 1 7

Welcome to the first issue of the Australian Video Viewing Report, which each quarter will examine the evolving ways in which people watch video, including broadcast television and other content.

Like its predecessor, The Australian Multi-Screen Report, we review device take-up and viewingon different screens, to better understand how audience behaviour is shifting with growing content and platform choices. The familiar figures for time spent watching live and time-shifted TV in the home remain, along with time spent watching video on desktops and laptops, and on tablets and smartphones.

Despite unprecedented choice, on average across the total population, TV remains the most-watched screen, and most Australians watch some broadcast TV (free-to-air and subscription channels) each week. Across the population Australians spend on average 2 hours and 39 minutes watching live and playback TV on TV sets each day: that’s just 33 fewer minutes than they did six years ago, in Q1 2011.

In prime time, Australians spend 25 per cent of their time with the TV set doing something other than watching live or playback TV within 28 days.

1 Like

You might notice some small changes to the appearance of the ratings starting today. The latest update to the forum required a revision of the coding. Hopefully there won’t be too many glitches.

1 Like

OzTAM ratings data late in arriving this morning.

1 Like

OzTAM:

Please note there will be a delay in getting the ratings reports out this morning as we are waiting for the analysis database to update.

SKY UK is to add its own data to the official BARB television ratings as some online viewing is not been captured, in particular box set binge viewing that occurs before programs are broadcast on linear channels. SKY will not report overnight ratings, instead focusing on seven day ratings and and the total audience across a program’s full season.

So now pay tv us getting as desperate as free to air.