Analysis of the ratings system

That is very true. It still doesnt make sense to me that nine and seven and ten in the past have gone to sleep in December. Most likely because advertisers will advertise no matter what at that time of the year.

I would think that is the case.

1 Like

While this thread is ‘hot’, can someone explain to me the OzTam 2am thing?

Does it mean there’s a different time period (6pm to 2am) for shares?

Does it mean ratings (figures) aren’t produced/counted after 2am?

Prime time shares are 6pm-midnight. But the list of programs reported includes anything up until 2am but they don’t contribute to the share. Ratings are collected 24 hrs.

3 Likes

For some bizarre reason (slow news day?), a regional newspaper in Central QLD has posted the local half-hour averaged ratings for each channel over prime time last night (Sunday) in an article on their website.
I’m not complaining about the info but of all the days to bother making an article why a random Sunday in non-ratings.

Anyway, the point I was going to make.
Without going into specifics (for obvious reasons), they are reporting “0 viewers” for some programming on their analysis.

This seems weird to me, as surely Oz/RegionalTAM can’t truly believe that no one at all watched some prime time programming.
I get that the numbers are rounded, but it just seems weird to claim no viewers at all were watching.

0 viewers isn’t a literal measure but rather a statistical one. It would be because the number of viewers would be too small to register a blip on the radar. In the old days such small numbers were reported as an asterisk because it wasn’t literally zero.

NITV occasionally reports a prime time share of 0.0% This doesn’t mean literally nobody is watching but it’s a count so small it’s not enough to clock up even a fraction of a percent.

3 Likes

It’s also possible that given the size of the ratings panel, no one (in the panel) was watching at the time either

It happens frequently with subscription shares

You are allowed to post a link to it

Yeah, that all makes perfect sense. I just found it to look very weird that they were listing 0 viewers.
Something like an asterisk would be better in my opinion.

A quick look at yesterday’s numbers shows some programs on multichannels reported as 0 in some markets. The actual numbers included 343, 402 and 366. There are also some that actually have no viewers.

I’d imagine there is a threshold of viewers that would apply - anything below a certain figure would be rounded down

An asterisk would make more sense - 0 implies that it has no viewers, but it can also imply that the show wasn’t broadcast in a particular market (particularly relevant when looking at live events and their surrounding programming outside of eastern time

3 Likes

When adjusted ratings come though, usually not long after preliminary ratings have come in, who re-calculates it?

OzTam or the networks?

Also, even though we don’t discuss them on MediaSpy, do they also need to adjust regional ratings too?

Adjusted ratings are available from OzTAm but not released. It is up to the networks to advise of any adjustments. The only network that regularly uses the time-adjusted ratings in their daily media releases is Ten; they always seem to base their info on confirmed times for their programs only. Nine and Seven rarely do so when it suits their narrative :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve noticed heaps of media today using Seven’s adjusted “2.6m” for the match of the Australian Open Men’s Final.

Although probably because the needed to, as everyone knows the movie “The Net” didn’t even end-up airing.

But the adjusted number provide by Seven is the same as the preliminary.

###OzTAM adds weekly Live Video Player Measurement (VPM) Report

Complements VPM top catch up program reports
Adds to understanding of changing consumer behaviour around TV content

OzTAM today adds a weekly Live Video Player Measurement (VPM) Report to the reports available on its website.

Posted on Tuesday mornings, OzTAM’s Live VPM report captures the top live-streamed programs each week (preceding Sunday to Saturday).

OzTAM’s CEO Doug Peiffer said: “OzTAM’s Live VPM Report is the latest enhancement in our Video Player Measurement service.

“It demonstrates differences in how people consume online catch up TV and now live- streamed broadcast content.

“Sport and news tend to dominate Live VPM, as the content is more ‘perishable’. Catch up is more about watching at a time and manner of the viewer’s choosing; drama and entertainment are usually the most watched catch up programs.

“Both are important in understanding how people engage with TV content, and the opportunity to live stream or catch up keeps audiences close to their favourite programs.”

OzTAM’s VPM reporting service typically captures around 30-50 million minutes of VPM content, on average, a day. Of that, catch up comprises 25-35 million minutes, and live streaming 5-15 million minutes.

Overall, viewing of online broadcast content – including catch up and live streaming – currently accounts for approximately 1 to 2 per cent of all broadcast content viewed each week in total. However VPM can represent a sizeable portion of a program episode’s total audience, similar to the way some broadcast programs see significant audience increases from time-shifted viewing.

1 Like

First Live VPM report is posted - link below. It will be added to the week’s ratings report.

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/week-5-2017/2537/6?u=tv.cynic

Bear with me if there are any errors, trying to match the OzTAM report to the forum.

1 Like

2017 ratings year starts today.

4 Likes

Posts recently made in this thread have been shifted: The Future of TV