AM and FM DX

Am getting a bit of enhancement tonight indoors just with the telesopic aerial (too cold to venture outside and try for more!).

ABC News Radio 89.7 from Bega (but not the other ABCs).
SKY Sports Radio Bathurst 100.9 (but not the other Bathurst stations).

EDIT: ABC South Coast on 101.9, 103.5 and 105.1 all receivable, 101.9 in stereo.

The Hepburn forecast maps do show some ducting on the far south coast of NSW though not as far a Newie.

2 Likes

High pressure systems to the south, with SE winds up the NSW coast, generally result in enhancement to Batemans Bay/Canberra/Bega.

3 Likes

Noticed this as well Nova 100 and Nova 96.9 have very strong signals when going from Sydney-Melbourne flying compared to Fox, 2Day, KIIS, MMM. Although KIIS 1065 isnā€™t heard until you fly over Wollongong as you fly straight over Albury where ABC Local Radio is on 106.5 and that frequency lasts for a while, interesting when you fly over Canberra you donā€™t get as strong signals from Hit104.7 and Mix106.3 ??

1 Like

What site doe Nova Ent use in Melb? Are they on the BA tower instead of a TX site there?

How far do the ABC FM services cover? Similar to Nova Ent? Or better again?

Nova Ent uses the TXA Observatory Road site, whilst the other commercial FM stations use either the TXA Ornata Road site or the BA tower.

Theoretically (ie. on paper) at least, the ABC FM services should cover a bigger area than the Nova Ent stations, in which the ABC FM services transmit at an ERP of 100kW, whilst the Nova Ent (& other commercial FM stations) transmit at a maximum ERP of 56kW.

Hereā€™s a map below, showing the locations of the transmitters at Mt Dandenong.

2 Likes

The Observatory Road site likely has a better takeoff to the north and east than the other two towers, being on the NE flank of the Dandenong escarpment. All four Observatory Road services perform well up the Hume Highway. Also bear in mind that some of these transmitters are sharply directional away from the E-NE.

3 Likes

Yes, they are all only 2kw to the NE and SE to protect Yarra Ranges and Gippsland services vs 56kw to metro Melbourne.

Thanks for the map, Iā€™d like the post more than once if possible.

The old GTV tower, Iā€™d forgotten about it, TXA on their site omitted it.

Sure wouldā€™ve made a great difference to the analogue GTV signal upon merging the TX infrastructure assets into the JV (moved to the ATV tower).

Hereā€™s an interesting link I found:

1 Like

In Warrnambool I can pick up on AM other than 3YB and 1602 ABC include: 594 West Vic from Horsham, 621 ABC RN a Bit Patchy, 3AW 693 Clear by Day, Hassle by Night, 774 ABC Melb, RSN 927 Unclearable during the Day, 981 3HA Hamilton Good, 1089 3WM Horsham, 1134 3CS Colac and RSN 1314 From Ballarat, Good But Sometimes Patchy during the Day, If any of you living in or Near Warrnambool and have got an Outdoor Radio with an LCD Screen and AM Tuning, I dare you to try it out.

2 Likes

I remember doing a bit of daytime AM DXing in Warrnambool in the 80s and also hearing these stations

558 7BU Burnie
900 7AD Devonport
963 5SE Mt Gambier
1008 7EX Launceston (when it used to be a proper commercial station, not just racing).

Donā€™t remember hearing 7LA or any others, though they may well have been received.

1 Like

Yep, NW Tassie should be easy from the ā€˜Bool. 3YB is a local signal into Marrawah (NW tip of TAS) by day also.

2 Likes

Getting back to flying over Canberra in a plane, and Canberra fm being weak compared to Sydney fm.

When flying over Canberra at 30-40K feet in a plane, the 80kw / 20kw Fm services from Black Mountain are no match for the 150KW blowtorches from Artarmon / Gore Hill which propagate a very strong signal even at 300+km away.

Canberra is very weak even when flying directly overhead at 30k feet and suffer from interference from the Sydney FM stations on the adjacent frequencies.

It is a different story when flying to Canberra / Sydney with both Canberra and Sydney Fm stations being able to be received for most of the journey. As the plane is not flying so high Sydney fm is not able to dominate as it does at 30-40k feet.

2 Likes

And by night 5AA 1395 is a local/regular.

I always felt guilty using a radio when flying. But have done it before. :slight_smile:. Wonder how far fm radio can go up if maybe you are physically outside the plane . Theoretical of course.

Sydney fm makes it almost to Albury in a plane at 40K feet, however as you get close to Albury the Albury fm stations take over. The Alburyā€™s use the same frequency alotment for FM as Sydney. To the north in a plane Sydney makes it to around Coffs before suffering cochannel interference.

From Brisbane, River 94.9 is the last of the Brisbane stations to drop out on the flight to Sydney.
106.9 is shared by Hit 106.9 for half the flight and Nova 106.9 for the half of the flight. You can stay on that frequency for the whole flight and there is always something on that frequency.

Back on tropo, some late Autumn ducting today. Newcastle Fm coming in strong witk Ko the best of the commercials.
Newcastle tv knocking out Wollongong Tv at my location.

2 Likes

Back in 2010, I managed to DX DAB+ on a flight from Sydney to Perth using a Sangean DPR35. Sitting on the left of the plane on a window seat I was able to hear the Canberra DAB+ trial flying just south of Katoomba and flying over Mildura, I was able to get Melbourne DAB+.

I tried TX DXing on a plane using an old Citizen handheld LCD TV a few years earlier and found that UHF TV worked much better in a plane than VHF.

2 Likes

No doubt partly because the antenna length that could be used inside the plane would match UHF signals.

2 Likes

Sorry Iā€™m a few days late to this, but I too noticed this in my travels over the years. Itā€™s the same heading east, locations in Gippsland where youā€™ve almost completely lost 3MMM/Fox, you can still hear Nova and 91.5 very clearly. I had presumed it was due to these being at a different locationm but didnā€™t suspect it was because they were on the midget stick on Mt Dandenong

Thanks for the info team :+1:

2 Likes

Youā€™re never too late, itā€™s great to read information from previous conversations days/months/years later. Itā€™s all added information. Weā€™re a helpful bunch here as you know, getting to the bottom of it all.

I can confirm this, FOX/MMM significantly below signal strength of Nova/Smooth when in fringe locations such as Yarragon.

How did you find the ABC/SBS services? At Yarragon etc, they were similar to Nova but not much better.

Iā€™ve often read of people in Gippsland and west of Melb such as Colac - Portland who would receive FOX and the old EON or 105.1 in the 80/90ā€™s in summer, a regular occurrence during summer.