AM and FM DX

That’s what fooled me- I assumed there was access given that the TV and FM services were able to be restored.

I’m not fit enough to hike from sea level to 1200 m, unfortunately. 11 km of relatively flat walking around Freycinet was OK, though.

2 Likes

The TX building is at a similar level to the masts - maybe slightly higher due to a slight slope in the land. However, the floor level is raised about a metre or so above ground level.
The houses are on higher group than the TX building and driveway.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the old 2GO AM site at Chittaway Point isn’t owned by SCA, it was sold years ago, I think Rete Italia took it over & now own it?

Last time I was there, just over 9 years ago, the masts were starting to rust, the tower lighting conduits had rusted & broken & were starting to come away from the masts, & the copper earth straps on 2 of the 3 masts had been cut & stolen, meaning only one mast was actually in proper working operation.

I emailed Rete Italia & told them about the state of the site & that it was a danger to the public (being in a public reserve area). They never replied, but went off air for a couple of weeks following that, I assume to do repair works at the site. I think the site was sold not long after that?

I haven’t been back since, but might have to make a visit when I next get a chance to see what state it’s in now.

I think I can say with limited knowledge, that SCA no longer own any of the old AM TX sites that have converted to FM, I know they also sold the old 2NX AM site in Newcastle years ago, after holding on to it & managing it for 2KY for many years after 2NX went FM.

SCA now own very few FM/TV sites, most have been sold off to Axicom, over the past 3-5 years & SCA just lease back the space & generally manage broadcast services at the sites, because Axicom only have mobile phone site experience. SCA still own their FM & TV equipment, but not the sites or the towers.

3 Likes

Audio has degraded over the past three years, it’s if the site is TX’ing at a lower rate.

1 Like

Due to incessant rain, I didn’t get to test MW out at Bruny Island. I almost got stuck out there due to a fallen tree for good measure. DAB is no problem at Adventure Bay- full 5 bars on the Sangean DPR-44. I forgot to test at Cape Bruny as I was rushing to the lighthouse to take photos in a 5 minute break in the rain. The cold out there was some of the rawest I’ve felt.

2 Likes

I’m in Launceston at the moment and will head back to the big island tonight. The Launceston city translators for 7LA/Chilli are very weak; reception cannot be achieved at Perth (the Tassie one, 17 km from Lonny). I had Hobart DAB at 2 bars strength on the north side of Campbell Town (again, the Tassie one, space included).

I will be visiting a DXer friend in Melbourne tomorrow before heading up the Hume Snoozeway home on Friday.

3 Likes

This bolded term above could have another meaning too, in which most commercial stations up & down the Hume are owned by either SCA or ACE, as well as the BOG stations from Young when travelling between Gundagai & Yass. From around Yass onwards when travelling towards Sydney, commercial radio starts to get a bit more interesting with the presence of the “Forever Classic” stations from Canberra & Goulburn, as well as the Grant stations from Nowra when travelling through the Southern Highlands before entering Sydney.

4 Likes

981 2nm was coming in clearly at 4.15 this afternoon in Logan City which is between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. I was listening for about 15 minutes and no fading just a good clear signal.

2 Likes

Speaking of strong skywave signals, 2CA really romps into NW Tassie at night; it was like a local signal at Sheffield this evening on the car radio. Sydney was strong too but not overwhelmingly so.

2CA is very weak in Sydney at night by comparison due to the short distance and also probably due the need to protect 1053 Brisbane.

2 Likes

I had the Tecsun on board the Spirit last night. I could get Melbourne from about 2 hours out of port and it was strong by the time I went to sleep around 2330. Gippsland is receivable just about all the way across. Launceston had just faded at 2330 also. The most surprising catch was 107.1/107.9 Ballarat, received briefly about 2200 and again just before 2330.

This is all from my cabin; results on the outside deck would obviously be much better. The warm season day sail would be better for this.

2 Likes

Perth Tas, where there 4 lane freeway abruptly ends. I believe the city translators are only for small infill due to terrain path to Mt Barrow, similar to the Adel Foothills beam.

That’s as far north as I travelled from Hobart years ago and could receive Mt Wellington FM signals to there, did seem like it was the edge of good coverage.

Wonderful to know in that direction that digital covers as far as FM. It’s not needed but is more proof to Canberra and Gold Coast licensees that 5kW ERP is not enough and they are right to ask for more on digital.

To be expected in non summer months when the sun is setting earlier. Until full skywave sets in, always a good time for reception for such stations.

Great to have in cabin reception, very strong signals. As you write, summer day sailing best, so this is a great time to see what signals are like in the worst possible circumstances.

1 Like

I’ve made it back to Sydney. There was no DX of note today, but yesterday saw some fairly decent tropo into Melbourne considering the time of year. The Mount Gambier beasties were well received at Brighton Beach in the morning and were pretty strong at Mt Waverley later on using an 8 element Yagi. Horsham FM was also very strong and there was also enhancement to Deniliquin, Albury, and Griffith.

A notable catch was 106.5 Flow FM Donald which boomed in at Mount Waverley- is this a new transmitter? I didn’t hear this up on Mount Tarrengower (Maldon) late last year; it’s basically line of sight out to Donald up there.

3 Likes

106.5 at Birchip has replaced the 97.7 service.

Flow FM requested the frequency change due to interference from ABC Local Radio 3GVR at Shepparton.

2 Likes

Thanks for that and this is understandable. A bigger problem in that neck of the woods is the co-channeling of Wangaratta and Swan Hill (102.1) and Shepparton and Swan Hill (107.7).

The 106.5 tx is located at Watchem, about half way between Donald and Birchip.

Edit: I just remembered that Flow FM runs RDS (with radiotext) on 106.5.

1 Like

Do we know if each site operates different polarisation like TV channels often do? More difficult for radio as you don’t design transmission for a device antenna to have a front to back radio.

As for the 8 element yagi in Mt Waverley, is this a fixed installation or do you carry a collapsable model?

Fixed on the roof.

There may be some polarisation differences between the above mentioned services; I think 3SHI 107.7 is on vertical as it’s very difficult to pick up using a horizontal Yagi from Numeralla and Mount Waverley (the ABC services are readily heard in tropo). On the car radio between Seymour and Benalla I often hear Edge FM and ABC Swan Hill duking it out on 102.1, though.

2 Likes

Between what towns does the Wang licence area stop in that direction?

Thanks, yes, I couldn’t quite picture this mobile 8 element!

Yes, the occasional service here and there is vertical to minimise co-channel interference, but the vast majority are mixed polarity.

Nah, 3SHI (unfortunate callsign) is mixed polarization. Like most FM stations

It’s a wonder that they didn’t go with 3SFM, 3SSH or 3SHH.