AM and FM DX

I wasn’t, at the time I checked, following your report or following days/times.
But today the signal is definitely 10dB stronger for me & I’m decoding RDS this morning.
I wondered if there is a significant tropo lift in that direction, but very minor if so looking at 92.5 & 107.1 signals.
I’ll take another look at the signal later on.
Take another look at the signal @Ant5476 & let me know what you think.

Midday Update:
There may have been some tropo about or was there a brief power increase earlier?
The signal of 2ST back to being weak & I note there’s more wind about now which would have destroyed any enhancement of the 102.9 signal - dunno…

3 Likes

Very weak here just above the noise floor,
and was very weak on the car radio today also.
I believe the westerly winds are killing any enhancement. It would be interesting to know if the new transmitter has been installed and gone live. Signal is still way lower then it was before they went down to half power.

4 Likes

I will be in Cairns and surrounds over the next week or so. I presume it’s worth chucking the portable in and giving some MW DX a shot up there?

It’s a family trip, so time for this stuff might be limited, but hopefully I’ll have a bit of time in the evenings to see what’s about.

2 Likes

There is often some tropo about in FNQ at this time of year too, so FM is worth a shot as well.

2 Likes

If you are near Townsville, give Power100 a listen :+1:

4 Likes

Absolutely. This is how strong Japan is with just the PK Loop (we went up end of June 2019, so conditions would be similar):

Here’s the full log from Cairns:

1 Like

OK, so maybe worth finding space for the loop as well. We will be staying away from noise for a bit, so might try a bit harder if I can.

That 774 Japan one is both excellent and a pain for this AFL fan living in Queensland. Even down here in SEQ it causes troubles to 3LO - I almost missed hearing the Cats win a game with a kick after the siren due to this station fading up over the ABC commentary at an inopportune time :grin:

4 Likes

I do remember some time ago (8 or 9 years ago) managing to recieve a extremely faint but hearable signal of 2LF 1350 Young, NSW into Bribie Island, QLD. Very staticky, but enough to hear them announce their station ID.

1 Like

Instead, you got Katsu and Hello Kitty.

1 Like

Once the transmitter for 5SE (Triple M) 963AM gets switched off on August 7, I should be able to receive 2RG (Triple M) on the 963 frequency in Mt Gambier SA, on the car radio at night time, given I can already receive stations like 2WG 1152 Wagga Wagga, ABC Sydney 702 & 4RG 864 (faintly) from Toowoomba QLD.

1 Like

I agree with that being a Tweed local I can receive Brisbane FM’s fine in my 2005 Holden VZ Calais as well as the local stations but I do notice a lil bit more interference on B105 and Triple M than NOVA and KIIS 97.3 which are almost at local strength on my Pioneer head unit from 100km away.

2 Likes

There was some good winter lift about around midday today. From Braye Park in Newcastle I got the following

Mt Dowe ABCs on 96.7, 99.1, 99.9 and 100.7 (over Triple M Port Macquarie). Great Lakes FM 101.5 was too strong for News Radio.

A rarity was hearing 91.3 MAX FM Narrabri.

Mt Cenn Cruaich ABCs 102.3 (over Hit Port Macquarie), 105.5, 106.3 and 107.1 (107.9 was blocked by TCBL Dungog).

Tamworth - 94.7 Triple J over News Radio Taree.

Armidale - ABCs on 101.1, 101.9, 102.7 and 103.5. SKY 104.3 also heard and could detect FM100.3 under 2RE Forster.

Oddly the only North Coast catch I could hear was 106.7 Triple M Kempsey, but none of the Mt Moombil ABCs.

2 Likes

Streetviewing this just now, it looks like an excellent omnidirectional DX spot. Not bad for somewhere that’s firmly inner Newcastle.

1 Like

It’s great for signals from the north and west, but not as good from the south.

But I like that since I get almost the opposite at home, as I hardly ever get Tamworth etc here at Charlestown since my apartment faces south/south west.

1 Like

Yes there was some good winter tropo here aswell. I had the Orange National fm’s as strong as the Newcastle National fm’s on the car radio on the drive home from work around 1:30pn

1 Like

I had a few spare minutes to go up to Mount Ainslie this morning and test my TEF 6686 in Canberra’s RF soup conditions. The results were quite impressive with no overload and 101.7 WS clear next to 101.5. I think there was some minor enhancement. I may try Red Hill if I get the chance as the overload there is quite severe.

My version of the TEF, purchased from ‘HamRadioShop’ on Ali Express, can be seen here.

3 Likes

Yes I have had quite good results at Mt Ainslie too. 95.3 Smooth fm is permanent there on the car radio, but you have to be on the north and eastern slopes for reception.

No issue with overloads, different story at Black Mountain where RF played havoc with the car immobiliser on my old car.
I also had similar issues at Mt Sugarloaf with that car too.

1 Like

That’s where I was. I find the east/north east slope more interesting; on the western side you usually just get Griffith, Wagga and Orange. 102.5 Bega was in clearly next to 102.3 as well.

Forgot to mention Smooth was flashing RDS but only a partial decode.

2 Likes

Also on the eastern slopes Batemans Bay, nationals and commercials.

1 Like

Yep, all there and strong with RDS on EC/Power and 2EAR.

1 Like