AM and FM DX

Normally Es is at its absolute minimum around the equinoxes (in temperate latitudes) so this is most unexpected. I’ve actually never heard of FM Es around the autumnal equinox in Australia.

The equatorial zones seem to get Es around the equinoxes, coinciding with maximum insolation.

The best I’ve managed is New Caledonia FM in August, though that counts as winter Es, the converse of February Es in the summer peak.

4 Likes

E-Skip, in Late March? What on Earth?
And yes I was near a radio, but I was too focused on the Dolphins Broncos match to check.

2 Likes

Yep, never heard anything like it. Not time of year, nor time of day really (the Es were only first detected about two hours after local sunset, normally you need to still have daylight or close to it for good Es).

Seemed very localised for us, just Hobart was heard. Interestingly though, there was a DXer in Sydney hearing Hobart at exactly the same time as I was here in Brisbane. Same stations and all. You wouldn’t normally hear the same stations as someone so far from here.

I’ve had a few winter Es in the past - Gympie into Melbourne is one that springs to mind, that was in July though. To have Es only days after the autumn equinox is something else. The aurora that’s been quite widely discussed must have surely had something to do with it.

2 Likes

NOVA1069 and KIIS973 crystal clear for over an hour here in Hobart tonight.

4 Likes

100.1 2HHH Hornsby (Sydney) currently off the air.
Pity there’s no tropo dx about.
Perhaps very weak Bathurst heard just above the noise floor at times on 100.1MHz.

Nor I. Feb has been the latest for Es for me post summer Es period & mid June to early July the only other time for the mid year minor Es peak & then only around midday.

Nice :+1:
I think I might have retired for the evening too early.
According to Canberra ionosonde chart the Es peak might have happened around 10.30pm AEDST (1130UT).
https://www.sws.bom.gov.au/HF_Systems/1/3

1 Like

I had something jump on top of 92.5 ABC Central Coast late last night while going down the hill on the M1 towards Mooney Mooney.

It was music but surely it wasn’t 92.5 Gold FM from the Gold Coast?

Maybe it was 2WYR in Bowral.

1 Like

It was definitely 92.5 Music FM in Bowral. Gold Coast is way too far and besides if that happened, a lot of members here (including me) would had be reporting about the amazing Northernly Tropo going on.

2 Likes

I’ve never had Gold Coast here in Newcastle - i did have Sunshine Coast one time in 2014 at my previous residence which had a much better northerly aspect.

Furthest south I’ve heard Gold Coast is only at Woodburn, I know @Mechsta has had it in Coffs just recently.

2 Likes

I’m guessing 2WYR stands for Wollondilly Youth Radio?

Were they known as Music FM too back when the callsign was 2MVH?

It stands for Wingecarribee Youth Radio and they only used the Music FM name for a few years, before that it was 92.5FM and 2WYR was used on air.

2 Likes

Gold Coast is an occasional visitor to the Coffs Coast. Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast are more regular. For some reason 91.1 Nambour is stronger here than all the others. Stanthorpe is near permanent reception on the higher parts.

1 Like

I haven’t heard any programming on 2WYR for a week or so now.
Mostly it’s open carrier on air. Programming from Music FM is becoming
unpredictably sporadic.

There is ABCRN from Portland, that would be mono & not that much music played.

There is the possibility that you could have received another vehicle’s wireless transmitter? Exactly what time was this?

1 Like

Around 11:15pm I’d say. Unlikely to be another car’s transmitter as I wasn’t that close to any other cars.

2 Likes

A bit of tropo from the south into NW Sydney this afternoon.

Vox fm strong enough for a full RDS decode.
Power fm over Rhema CC.
Music fm strong enough to be received in noisy stereo, again just broadcasting a stereo pilot.

The 200W Music fm is actually being received stronger than the 2KW 2ST on my dx setup,
This does not make sense!!!

Surely 2ST has to be broadcasting below spec or they have done something to severely limit the signal to the north. Two years ago they were so much stronger into Sydney.

2 Likes

They really need to sort this out. ACMA could deem them as technically incapable of providing a service, come licence renewal time. Given 2WYR appears in the ACMA list of licensed broadcasting transmitters, the current licence is a permanent one and subject to renewal.

According to this document, 2WYR’s permanent licence expires on 15th June 2026. That’s a little over 3 years for the licensee to turn things around.

1 Like

Oh dear, I’ll be almost 40 then! Thanks for the reminder :wink:

You & me both (I’ll be almost 40 then as well). :slight_smile:

Let us hope this is correct:

2 Likes

Add 10 onto that for me.

3 Likes