AM and FM DX

@TV.Cynic, are the co located ABC signals coming in strong from Mt Nardi? Or different location on their usually permanent fringe reception? (especially with your equipment).

1 Like

Awesome news Iā€™ll have to start trying out for some Eā€™s here in Perth!

3 Likes

Yes, was good to break the Es drought!

Ended up with about 4 hours of SA Es this morning. My 3 element antenna is fixed North so considering SA is off to the side, this was a fairly strong opening.

Scribbled a few notes. Ended up being about a 30 station haul, including Renmark mentioned earlierā€¦

6 Likes

That 93.9 was 5CC Port Lincoln, I did receive it back in January on the East Coast of Australia. That weekend was a good weekend for FM DX in both Tropo and E-Skip.

3 Likes

Great catches Dani!

And your handwriting is heaps better than mine!

Iā€™m up at Nelson Bay tonight, Iā€™ll post my list shortly.

2 Likes

Ahh cheers, thanks! Yes Port Lincoln makes sense. Same time as 89.9 Port Lincoln. That list is in time order and seams to group the areas as North Spencer Gulf then Ayre Peninsula then Adelaide.

1 Like

Again, it happened back on the 22nd of January during Hottest 100 weekend. There were also those big openings to NZ during that weekend. Hopefully, Iā€™ll get something just as good this summer. Already had been monitoring for E-Skip but nothing yet for 2022-23.
Also, the funny part about the reception of 5CC during that time was that it did share the same playlist as local 2ST but on a half hour delay to compensate for time zone changes.

1 Like

Here is my report from Nelson Bay, NSW ((about 60 kms north of Newcastle). The resort Iā€™m staying at is on the north facing side of a hill and is a north facing apartment, so nothing received south of Newcastle. Even they are not good, with some multi pathing (MP). A fair amount of RF noise here though, which isnā€™t ideal.

88.9 2RE Taree 2RE 88.9 RDS very good in stereo. Local music and ads in stereo too. Take note 2HD!
90.7 News Radio Coffs Harbour weak, some fading
91.5 JJJ Coffs Harbour, static stereo, faded to mono at times.
92.3 ABC Local Coffs, mono reasonably clean.
94.7 News Radio Taree, clear mono with positioning of receiver
95.1 News Radio Port Stephens, good but a couple of weak spots since TX due to hill.
95.5 ABC Mid North Coast, good, stereo with no static with receiver placement.
95.9 ABC Newcastle-Port Stephens, similar to 95.1
96.3 JJJ Mid North Coast, good static free stereo. Better than Newcastle.
97.1 Radio National Mid North Coast, good clear mono
97.5 2HD 97.5 RDS, similar to 95.1 and 95.9. Stereo pilot but 100% mono as with 90.5 Lake Macquarie.
97.9 Classic FM Coffs, mostly cleanish mono, faded up to static stereo at times.
98.3 Radio National Port Stephens, similar to Port ABCs as above
98.7 Classic FM Mid North Coast, same as 96.3 above.
99.5 Radio National Coffs, fair to good mono
99.7 Rhema Newcastle, multi pathing affected, difficult to get clean signal.
99.9 Rhema Port Macquarie, very weak, faded in/out.
100.3 2RE Forster, good. Iā€™m surprised this is still on air given 2RE 88.9 has pretty good coverage
100.5 2RPH Newcastle, worse than 99.7, similar MP issues.
100.7 Triple M Port Macquarie. cleanish mono, fading up to stereo with static. No RDS like 102.3 though.
100.9 Port Stephens FM, good.Still hasnā€™t switched its RDS back on though.
101.5 Great Lakes FM Forster GLFM RDS, excellent, best reception of any station.
102.1 JJJ Newcastle, OK stereo could be obtained with effort, MP issues as with other Newcastle stations.
102.3 Hit102.3 RDS Port Macquarie, similar to 100.7 but could get RDS here.
102.9 Triple M Newcastle, no RDS or stereo , struggled to get clean mono, MP issues.
103.7 2NUR FM Newcastle, similar to 102.9
103.9 2WAY Port Macquarie, only heard it once or twice but was very weak
104.7 2BOB FM Taree, clean mono
105.1 Hit Kempsey, weak, faded in and out
105.3 NEW FM Newcastle, similar to other Newcastle stations
105.5 Hit Coffs Harbour, this and 106.3 was a surprise that they were there at all, faded in and out.
105.7 SKY Taree, clean mono
106.1 similar to 102.1 JJJ
106.3 Triple M Coffs, similar to 105.5.
106.5 Rhema Taree, which now has a full time license under call sign 2RMA, this was weaker than 2BOB but also stable.
106.7 Triple M Kempsey, weak, similar to 105.1
106.9 Hit Newcastle, similar to 102.9
107.3 MAX 1073 RDS, good clear stereo.

5 Likes

Agreed, I suspect it would be ZZZ too. At the old house only a few km away from where I am now, permanent faint reception of ZZZ was the go unless there was tropo to the north. However, I now get RN Wide Bay on that frequency here at my present location despite the Mt Nardi nationals dominating their respective frequencies - Iā€™ve not seen any sign of ZZZ here yet (I wonder if the regular planes flying to the north of me help that out)

Also, great to see some Es kicking off down south and over west. Letā€™s hope it keeps on rolling in for all of us.

3 Likes

5UMA 89.1 is the best catch of them all there in my opinion! While I was growing up they were on 24/7 from Mount Brown (my dad helped with the original transmitter setup which was done via helicopter) but some years ago they switched to Mount Arden with a lot less power and became a daytime only station (completely switching off at nights even to this day when I was last back there in October).

Also 90.5 is likely to have been Kix Country from the Barossa judging by the rest of the list.

4 Likes

Ahh cheers! Local knowledge!

Hard to know what to do during sporadic E openings - either sit on a frequency to get an ID or keep rolling up and down the band to catch as much as possible.

3 Likes

I would go for this option.

Unless thereā€™s something you really want to hear and youā€™re getting other stations from that area.

1 Like

Yeah, I think youā€™re right. And any gaps or question marks can easily be filled in by the community here.

2 Likes

Mixture of FM stations in Renmark this morning from different areas. Usual ones from Adelaide, Mildura and Horsham

2 Likes

Noted the ABC Orange FM transmitters are now back to full power this morning.
Pity the maintenance couldnā€™t have occurred over the peak SpE DX season.
That of course would be too much to wish for.

4 Likes

Broke the Es duck today with a reasonable South Australian opening around 1800 LT. 5MU 96.3 with RDS amongst others.

Scrappy Es to Queensland now with 92.3 Nebo (ā€˜STAR1019ā€™) RDS.

9 Likes

New Caledonia FM into Brisbane right now - RDS on 89.0 and signals up to 91.0 so far

EDIT: make that up to 100MHz now

6 Likes

Nice long opening! 102.5 is the highest Iā€™ve noticed.

Update: 103.0 Radio Djiido now the highest.

5 Likes

Despite diligent monitoring most of the day- no Es recorded. I am in a good spot for NCL FM but nothing heard here. I think 103.0 MHz is the highest New Caledonian frequency in regular use, though there was a transmission on 106.0 (pirate?) that was received in Cooma some years ago.

Have to go out now so watch it go ballistic.

4 Likes

Also managed to get up to 103.0 in the end, though the top end of the dial from there was much weaker. Managed RDS reception on 89.0, 90.0 and 91.5 - all said the same thing though.

A nice example that the new antenna setup seems to work well for DX across the Pacific - that was something I never really experienced at the old place. Iā€™ve never really had much NZ/NCL here so hoping to change that this season.

6 Likes