AM and FM DX

We finally have some tropo tonight, it is nothing special but at least it is something.

Newcastle National fm (Classic, Triple J) enhanced, and in good stereo, slight hiss on Classic fm, none on Triple J.

Triple M, Newcastle in noisy stereo over 2ST.
Weak New fm and 2NUR just above the noise floor, both equal in strength.

106.9 is a battle between VOX fm and Hit 106.9.

Rhema Newcastle over 2SSR

Weak Eagle fm, just above noise floor.

Central Coast briefly dropped significantly in strength, this wiped out the RDS on Triple M CC, and Todays Country. This also allowed me brief Power fm reception over Rhema CC.

Has anyone noticed that the Orange national fm stations are down significantly in strength.
I have completely lost 102.7 Classic fm, this is a permanent signal for me.I lost reception more then a week ago?

Hepburn forecast was spot on, weak to moderate enhancement from Newcastle to Wollongong.

3 Likes

Down here, just Newcastle Commercials and Community stations. With that, Central Coast is stronger where 107.7 is basically a fight between GO and GN. depending on where I point the radio antenna. Like we predicted earlier this year.

3 Likes

104.7 was def JJJ.

3 Likes

Completely flat this morning, no tropo enhancement. Looks like last night was it.

1 Like

Oh yeah, now that you mention it. It’s a wonder I didn’t notice it. Thanks :+1:

For ABC Orange FM outlets says: Transmitting on reduced power. Reception may be affected.

• Start on Wed 09 Nov 2022 at 14:59pm AEST
  • Ends on Thu 02 Dec 2022 at 10:08am AEST
4 Likes

That is why I have zero signal, thank you for finding that.

Btw the NW wind is already quite gusty already, that explains why there is no tropo this morning.

4 Likes

Looks like our next Tropo event for coastal NSW will be late Friday night early Saturday morning according to Hepburn.

It looks more extensive than last nights Tropo, extending further up the coast, possibly up to Middle Brother from Sydney., and greater signal enhancements. Until then we will just have to wait for the westerlies to bugger off.

2 Likes

I’d like to see the ABC site say what the temporary ERP is… if not the usual 80,000 then what it is now.

3 Likes

Rockhampton is back this afternoon with some good signals but with deep fading.

2 Likes

My guess based on signal strength, probably around 5KW similar to Hit / Triple M Orange.

2 Likes

Actually probably less than the Orange Commercial fm stations, under 5KW, they could also be using a temporary antenna lower down the mast.

I can receive weak Hit and Triple M Orange on the car radio, but no hint of the National fm’s from the CT.

2 Likes

Calling the ABC reception hotline is often helpful, will often put you through to radio master control who seem quite knowledgeable.

The figure likely most at hand is how many dB the TX power is reduced by.

A person with knowledge of the site would be able to say TX power into an array of x dB gain realises a maximum ERP of y and so on.

Our resident techs @dutymainttech @RFBurns @mcpaton @AJ1 @4TAB-1008kHz may be able to contribute further with safe working levels.

3 Likes

I haven’t been to Canobolas for 20 years but it’s a very crowded tower and gets ice damage during winter on occasions. If the FM’s there are on a temporary antenna then the power would likely be reduced for that and if the riggers are working up there the FM’s may be turned right down or even off completely hence the stations disappearing at the fringes. Even 10 watts of FM up there would give a wide coverage due to the height. The BA building has a emergency bunkhouse for winter and the big diesels there have jacket heaters because of the cold and difficulty getting them to start.

3 Likes

I moved house earlier this year and finally today got something in the way of an external antenna (a little FM omnidirectional) installed. Unfortunately, it appears my current spot, much closer to Mt Coot-tha, is a seemingly inferior DX location despite being on a ridge with good takeoff in most directions.

Some interesting notes/comparisons are:

• Gold Coast FM is very weak here, the Mt Tamborine commercials are weak and 102.9 is almost non-existent, and even the Beechmont ABCs aren’t all that good. 94.1 is ok though, weirdly enough
  • By contrast, Sunshine Coast is better, in particular the ABCs from Dulong. 104.9 is all Sunshine FM instead of ABC Southern Downs, and 106.5 is all Salt with full RDS
  • Having said all that, Mt Nardi is still very strong. 94.5 is all ABC Northern Rivers with no sign of News from Nambour
  • Faint signs of 99.3 JJJ Wide Bay, which were never detected (outside of tropo) at the old place

I guess the weak signals of the semi-locals could be a blessing of sorts, it might open up some additional frequencies for DX opportunities. But it probably just suggests I should have opted for a better antenna…

6 Likes

Fascinating insight, thank you @dutymainttech.

1 Like

I seem to recall Mt Canobolas was impacted in the winter of 2015. 2GZ FM’s audio was cutting in and out constantly (transmitter still running so microwave link related). I also understand 2EL’s STL was also affected as it went via Canobolas down to the transmitter site at Forest Reefs and they were running a standby tape for quite a while.

1 Like

Having the ABC say how much the temp ERP is, might be helpful to a few people like in here, but 99% of people won’t know what it means, won’t be affected very much & won’t care.

It also depends on what work is being done & how close to the antenna’s tower workers are working & the ERP could change a number of times at a variable rate.

Generally for Artarmon tower works, we’ll reduce power by 3dB, 6dB or totally off, occasionally we might go 8dB or 10db reduction in power. We might also reduce power by 6dB as workers are climbing past an antenna for 5 - 10 minutes then turn it back up to full power once they’re passed the danger zone.

Generally speaking, the only people who will notice a 3dB or even 6dB reduction in power on the commercial FM stations at Artarmon, will be those on the very outer fringes of coverage area, most people across the Sydney basin won’t even notice the reduction in power.

Most outage’s & reduced power notifications like the ABC put out, are agreed window periods, reduced power or a full outage, more often than not, won’t last the entire time, it could occur multiple times for short periods or even just once for 5 minutes over a 4 - 5 hour window & be reduced at different levels at different times during the window.

2 Likes

Which just about sums up this thread!

2 Likes

Lots of arm chair experts these days sadly

3 Likes

Do you have a masthead amp connected to your fm omni antenna?

I use a Matchmaster VHF / UHF / FM masthead amp with 30db adjustable gain. Without the amp connected I mainly get local signals, but with it connected I can pull signals up to 150km + for high powered fm services.

You may experience overloads from
Mt Coot-tha with an amp attached.

Are you using the Matchmaster Omni fm antenna?

If this is the one, if you point the front where the slight opening is to the north it will give you the best reception of the southern signals if you want to try to improve Gold Coast reception.

Remember omni fm antennas have very little gain so I use the masthead amp to make up for this lack of gain.

3 Likes