AM and FM DX

Great report. Thanks.

What type of receiver are you using?

1 Like

JJJ Griffith is 100kw, but still, thatā€™s pretty impressive!

What about a frequency change for KLFM. 95.7 was allocated to SBS Bendigo but wasnā€™t on air when i was there in June. That would be free from Griffith interference, far enough away from Nhill as well?

2 Likes

The SBS 95.7 licence was held by the City of Greater Bendigo under the self help option. They let the licence lapse in 2015. We have suggested (on numerous) occasions, a change of frequency. In fact, our file at ACMA regarding interference from JJJ MIA dates back to 1998, full of listener reception complaints, field strength measurements, ACMA (former ABA) even got us to turn off our TX for 60 minutes and take signal readings from JJJ MIA around Bendigo . They were shocked at how strong the signal was in Bendigo. Their answer, more power. They upped our specs from 500 w Vertical to 1.6 Kw mixed, (which we did) but more power is never the solution to such a problem and we still suffer the same problem. 24 years on, continued complaints from listeners and the station and no doubt a filing cabinet full of documentation, even as recent as 2020 and still not a word from ACMA to solve the problem. We give up (tongue in cheek) as we have given them plenty of options (including a frequency change) and plenty of time (24 years) and we still wait for an answer. One of the most frustrating problem we (KLFM) have ever faced, but we live in hope, that maybe in another 24 years they might make a decision to help and do something about it.

6 Likes

The radio I use is the Gospell GR-216 MW, SW and FM. The GR-216 is a bit more expensive but also does digital DRM in all modes and of course RDS on FM. It has excellent sensitivity and selectivity, along with very detailed reception stats, see pics x 2. Also separate antennae inputs for MW, SW and FM along with the telescopic for FM and internal for MW and SW. Stereo Line Outs as well (RCA) with excellent audio quality. Has inbuilt transformer for 230 volt power or 12 volt input. It is a wonderful receiver to use.

6 Likes

They can be really unhelpful at times at the ACMA. I know other members have posted similar experiences of reception issues at their community stations with very little in the way of outcomes. Good luck.

3 Likes

This is Edge FM Wangaratta.

2 Likes

Edge FM Wangaratta is on 102.1. The station on 101.3 there is community station Oak FM.

5 Likes

If 101.3 was mirroring Edge Deniliquin, itā€™s more likely to be Mixx FM Horsham - Ace share music logs across its FMs.

Would say this is Mildura. As of at least earlier this year this used to be oldies station Old Gold but appears the website and stream is no longer. Ashley Thorburn holds this licence along with 1359 AM (leased to RSN): wonder if it has been leased to Rete Italia/Niche Radio?

2ME Melbourne

Islamic Voice Radio Melbourne

Would be curious to know if you had any success with any of the other Melbourne-wide FMs (SYN 90.7, Nova 100.3, KIIS 101.1, Fox 101.9, 3RRR 102.7, 3MBS 103.5, Gold 104.3, ABC Classic 105.9, Triple J 107.5): Iā€™ve been able to pick up some of these with the car radio when in/around Bendigo.

4 Likes

The allocation of 105.1 to Life Fm in Bendigo has always been a weird one as well being so close to Melbourne

3 Likes

Where did you buy that from?

1 Like

I was only ever able to get Melbourne stations in the higher parts of Bendigo.

Reception from Melbourne into Ballarat is better, and naturally better again into Geelong.

In Traralgon, I could only get the ABC stations, and in Shepparton, pretty much nothing at all.

2 Likes

I have received Melbourne DAB from the western (Bendigo) side of Lake Eppalock, but yes reception in Bendigo city is poor to non-existent. Thereā€™s also Phoenix FM 106.7, co-channelled with PBS FM.

The problem with western Victoria is that it is almost dead flat once you get west of Bendigo, and northwards is no better due to the Riverina and Hay plains. This allows signals (and weather systems) to reach Bendigo unimpeded. I am wondering if youā€™d fair much better with 95.7; I have received 3ABCRN Nhill as far east as The Rock NSW on the car radio. Tropo enhanced to be sure, but Bendigo is a lot closer to Nhill than that.

5 Likes

They are available from Tescun Radios in Sydney. www.tescunradios.com.au as mentioned, the GR-216 is a bit pricey but plenty of bang for buck. It would have to the best receiver I have ever encountered especially for selectivity. I have Gold C.V. on 98.3 with 250 watts and Iā€™m about 7 Kms from the site, and still able to receive 98.5 One FM from shepparton with no splatter from 98.3. I have quite a few decent radios, but none can achieve this. Ohh, and I love being able to receive DRM. Very impressive especially when the ABC were running DRM on 747 KHz from Wangarratta, very high quality Audio, I also listen to the BBC World Service DRM on Shortwave 17720 Khz from 18:00 to 19:00 daily Local Eastern time from their Singapore Transmitter.

3 Likes

Also strange they gave 3PFM (phoenix FM) on 106.7, Melbourneā€™s 3PBS frequency.

3 Likes

The one on the Tecsun site looks to have a different brand / model number to the Gospell GR-216, but looks to be this?

1 Like

I am on the Northern Side of Big Hill which shields from Mt. Dandenong, The only Melbourne FM ers I get, without a yagi, just a uni-directional Dipole is Nova on 91.5 (weak), the Light 89.9 (weak) and 3DB,sorry TT FM, sorry Kiis FM on 101.1 (weak). Some parts of Bendigo (higher locations) can receive most Melbourne FM stations quite well, but I am not to high in location and as mentioned, have Big Hill along with Mt. Alexander (near Harcourt) shielding me.

3 Likes

Yes it is the same, sorry forgot to mention, tescun give it itā€™s own model number, but it is the Gosepell GR-216. When it turns up, that is how it is branded. the Tescun number I think is just their own identification product number, but it is in fact the Gospell - GR 216. Photo of the unit from tescun.

5 Likes

It was not unique. Back in the days when analogue and digital TV were still simulcasting, Melbourne and Bendigo both had high power TV channels on channel 28, 29 & 31, all horizontally polarised.

28 SBS28 (analogue) Melbourne 640KW and SBS28 (digital) Bendigo 250KW
29 SBS28 (digital) Melbourne 200KW and SBS29 (analogue) Bendigo 2MW!
31 MGV31 (analogue) Melbourne 200KW and AMV31 (digital) Bendigo 500KW

Source: Radio and Television Broadcasting Stations - Internet Edition, April 2008 - Australian Communication and Media Authority

2 Likes

This could be a LONG post, as I am into Day 2 of a 4 day road trip to the NSW North West and Southern QLD.

Now in @hatdj territory in Moree (who was sounding great on NOW FM today as I knew he would). Some observations from DXing from Tamworth to here.

Tamworth (Oxley Lookout) around 1pm Monday - conditions seemed flat as there was nothing unusual to report on FM. There was nothing from Newcastle for instance, Armidale canā€™t be received as itā€™s shielded to the north by Bald Hill and the Moonbi Ranges.

There is some reception of Armidale on the south side of Tamworth (near Scully Park) but doesnā€™t really improve until west of Tamworth past Bective.

Similar at Gunnedah (Porcupine Lookout) 9am today, Narrabri (near Visitor Centre) 1pm today and Moree (Jellicoe Park) 3pm today conditions flat as well today as a southerly change was approaching.

A combined band scan for FM is below for all locations. Will post AM later.

88.5 2NWR Walcha - fair at Gunnedah Lookout, not received anywhere else.
88.9 2YOU Tamworth - local Tamworth station, good at Gunnedah, but weak and patchy in Narrabri, nothing in Moree.
89.7 -2HIM Tamworth - similar to 88.9
90.1 RN Walcha as per 88.5
90.5 HPON Tamworth - similar to 88.9 and 88.7
91.3 2MAX Narrabri, good in Tamworth, very good at Gunnedah and local at Narrabri, nothing in Moree however. This faded around 40 kms south of Moree.
91.7 2PNN Tamworth, local in Tamworth, very good in Gunnedah, fair in Narrabri, faded about 40 kms south of Moree, nothing in Moree.
92.9 2TTT Tamworth - similar to 91.7, lost RDS (still 92.9 TAM) between Baan Baa and Narrabri
93.5 2PNN Inverell - weak at Gunnedah and Narrabri, nothing in Tamworth or Moree.
93.7 was hoping for Rebel Tenterfield, but nothing,
93.9 2RN Tamworth - same as 91.7
94.7 2JJJ Tamworth - as above
95.1 2GEM Inverell - could only get weak reception at Gunnedah, nowhere else.
95.3 2TRR Coolah, good at Tamworth and Gunnedah, not received since
95.9 HPON Gunnedah - good at Tamworth, local at Gunnedah, very good in Narrabri, weak in Moree.
96.3 2YOU Quirindi - weak in Tamworth and Gunnedah. Near Quirindi, I found this runs the same 88.9fm RDS as Tamworth,
96.7 2ABC Upper Namoi - very good in Tamworth, local everywhere else
96.9 2HVR Murrurundi - fair at Tamworth and Gunnedah.
97.1 2SBS Tamworth - on air but no sound, local in Tamworth, fair at Gunnedah, nothing since
97.5 2GGG Gunnedah - similar to 95.9
98.1 2VLY Muswellbrook- fair at Tamworth and Gunnedah, nothing elsewhere.
98.3 2NOW Moree - fair in Tamworth, very good at Gunnedah, local in Narrabri and Moree.
99.1 2NWR Upper Namoi - same as 96,7
99.9 2JJJ Upper Namoi - as above
100.1 SBS Murrurundi is now off air
100.3 2NEB Armidale - only received at Gunnedah, fair
100.7 2RN Upper Namoi - as per other Upper Namois
101.1 2JJJ Armidale - similar to 100.3
101.5 2PNN Upper Namoi - similar to other UNs but not as strong
101.7 was hoping for a whiff of Southern Downs ABCs but nothing
101.9 2NWR Armidale - similar to 100.3
102.1 2JJJ Newcastle- fair at Gunnedah Lookout, nothing otherwise, SBS Moree off air
102.3 2JJJ Central West Slopes - fair at Tamworth, good at Gunnedah and Narrabri, faded 40 kms south of Moree
102.5 was hoping for Breeze Tenterfield, but nothing,
102.7 found that the Boggabri mining relays are now on air! 102.7 was 2NWR. Could receive this at Gunnedah Lookout but otherwise only near Boggabri
102.9 Triple M Newcastle fair at Gunnedah, weak 2GEM Warialda in Moree.
103.1 2ABC Tamworth as per other Tamworth ABC notes
103.3 HPON Muswellbrook fair at Gunnedah, was similarly trying for JJJ Southern Downs but nothing anywhere.
103.5 was ABC Classic from Armidale between Gunnedah and Tamworth, but found 2JJJ Boggabri mining at Gunnedah Lookout.
103.7 fair 2NUR Newcastle at Gunnedah, HPON Moree started to be received from 60 kms south of Moree
104.1 RN Murrurundi - fair at Tamworth and Gunnedah.
104.3 HPON Armidale between Tamworth and Gunnedah, but 2GGG Boggabri mining at Gunnedah Lookout
104.9 2PNN Muswellbrook weak at Tamworth and Gunnedah, nothing anywhere else
105.3 2NEW Newcastle fair at Gunnedah Lookout, nothing anywhere else.
105.5 ABC Classic CW Slopes same as 102.3
105.7 2HVR Muswellbrook same as 104.9
106.1 ABC Classic Newcastle fair at Gunnedah, nothing elsewhere.
106.3 2PNN CW Slopes same as 102.3 and 105.5
106.9 Hit Newcastle fair at Gunnedah Lookout
107.1 and 107.9 ABCs CW Slopes same as other CW ABCs.

10 Likes

Money is on the fridge :shushing_face::rofl:

2 Likes