AM and FM DX

Currently getting a bit of inland ducting up here near Newcastle, with Classic and News from Canberra on 102.3 and 103.9 being received. Which is exactly where i am flying to this afternoon!

3 Likes

Similar here, weak Classic Canberra, and Eagle fm Goulburn. Can’t hear News Radio under the splatter of 2day.

Orange nationals enhanced but not enough enhancement to receive the commercials.

Typical winter tropo. Cold air trapped underneath warm air. We had heavy fog here that did not clear until 10am. Across the Oberon Plateau temperatures are around 11’c and Thredbo village is already 8’c according to Weather Underground.

3 Likes

Fog was here until 11 AM.

Is Bungendore as foggy as Canberra???

Some fogs in Canberra hang around to early afternoon.

1 Like

No, on account of the slightly higher elevation and better exposure to prevailing westerly winds. But it can stay trapped for a while on a day of light northerly winds, as occurred today. Fog/fog cloud rarely stays until past noon, unlike in Canberra.

Bungendore is a lot windier than Canberra, too. Which is great in summer but not so great when you get a cold front. Wamboin (atop the escarpment) can cop some savage winds; the town is somewhat protected by this escarpment.

Warmest day since May here at 15.1 degrees.

1 Like

Lots of enhancement from the north into Brisbane tonight as far north as Mackay with MMM 98.7 in stereo JJJ 99.5 and PNN 104.3. Rockhampton also coming in.

2 Likes

A thought came to my mind today regarding FM/VHF tropospheric ducting, namely does it occur at the airband frequencies? And if so, does it have as much impact as the lower FM band with regard to co-channel interference (which I’m assuming could have quite a great impact for ATC communications)!

Well it turns out such events have occurred in the past and not only that but there has even been a scientific modelling paper produced on the matter from the late 90s!

5 Likes

Carbon copy of yesterdays tropo here in NW Sydney with weak Eagle Fm, Triple J, and Classic fm Canberra. Classic fm was playing Hark the Herald Angel Sing, a Christmas Carol!!!

Similar weather conditions again to yesterday with heavy fog still hanging around. ST current temperature similar to yesterday, but CT are a bit cooler which probably explains why there is no enhancement of the Orange nationals.

I generally find Winter is generally better for more consistent inland tropo of Canberra and Goulburn whereas Summer is more of the intense coastal tropo events. I have had some very strong Canberra and Goulburn enhancements in Summer too, but they are rarer then the common coastal events.

Current Hepburn Tropo Forecast

Next Sunday morning looking good for more inland tropo

4 Likes

Weak Coast FM 96.3 on the car radio at the bottom of Brooks Hill, 5 clicks south of town. 102.1 and 106.1 Newcastle also quite good.

4 Likes

Mackay and Rockhampton are back this morning in Brisbane.

1 Like

Down in Canberra, test drove a Mazda6. It picked up Radio National from both Batemans Bay and Orange, as well as SW Slopes ABCs. And XLFM with RDS in Tuggeranong town centre.

Didn’t do a full bandscan or get to try DAB but that was enough to satisfy me that it had good reception. And had great sound with the BOSE audio.

So I bought it and i pick it up and drive it home back to Newcastle tomorrow!

4 Likes

Triple J, Newcastle and Classic fm weaker then normal here, signal refracting, and overflying us.

2 Likes

How is Canberra foggy??

Probably a Q for @dxnerd, but it has cleared now and looks to be a sunny afternoon.

My guess the fog is because Canberra is in a big valley and air gets trapped in by the surrounding hills.

3 Likes

Yes I know why Canberra is foggy, pretty incredible fog even for western Sydney only clearing less then an hour ago.

I was assuming that Canberra would still be pea soup.

1 Like

Sorry, me bad, did not proofread my post before posting.

2 Likes

I think that should have read: ‘How is Canberra? Foggy?’ or at least with a comma in the middle :slight_smile:

The fog and associated fog cloud broke up just after 10:30 AM here. Now there is scattered pre-frontal cloud from the NW; the front is expected tomorrow morning after a warm night that will turn windy in the early hours of the morning. I suspect there will be no tropo tomorrow morning.

2 Likes

Agree, winds are supposed to turn westerly tomorrow.

It’s been pretty mild here today and yesterday by Canberra standards with tops of about 15 degrees.

3 Likes

Probably not until the weekend at the earliest.

1 Like

While attempting some AM dxing on the car radio, I noticed that the over deviation of 630khz News Radio Prestons has got a lot worse.

It is now splatter right up to 765Khz and now completely blocking 666 Canberra at my location.

I wonder if BAI are aware of this?

3 Likes