AM and FM DX

Similar here, and Orange is being received Fair-Good, reception of Cooma Commercials as well as Middle Brother, Brown Mountain and Mt Uluara has also been detected this morning.
Canberra stronger than usual but no DAB

3 Likes

Not surprised there is tropo; minimums have been -6C the past two mornings here. Good old fat high pressure system with a strong temperature inversion. This is forecast to break down somewhat today with a weak westerly change.

2 Likes

Enhanced conditions in SEQ as well. Furthest north received is Hit Mackay on 98.7 MMM in stereo. Also Rockhampton ABC + commercials.

To the west 97.5 Dalby .

To the south Max FM 91.3, Sky 95.9 Mt Dowe + GEM Inverell

2 Likes

While Triple M CC might be protected from GNFM, how well ACMA planned GNFM to protect it from Triple M CC remains to be seen during summer tropo though. Thereā€™s that supposed null to the South in the TripleM CC licence that I donā€™t think is actually there, so who knows at this stage?

Iā€™m not entirely sure it was ACMAā€™s planning that protects Triple M CC, I think itā€™s more that with the directional specifications ACMA gave GNFM to the North, it couldnā€™t actually (in reality) be achieved, so theyā€™ll be under powered, to achieve the lowest power in any given direction?

3 Likes

Hereā€™s one for @dxnerd, currently receiving Braidwood Fm over 88.9 RSR on the car radio near my kids school in Glenwood. The give away was the stereo pilot light. I confirmed it with the web stream.

This is only the second time I have received Braidwood fm in Sydney, the last time was during one of the few intense tropo events of last Summer.

The Hepburn tropo forecast map does not show the extent of todays inland tropo.

But interestingly the current conditions shows quite a bit of ducting between Canberra and Sydney.

My dxing goal now is to get GNFM over Triple M CC.

3 Likes

Nice! I think itā€™s only a matter of time before one of you gets GN FM in Sydney.

Stretching the definition of Sydney a bit, but I reckon GN FM might be a permanent grab at the Burragorang Lookout (Nattai). Eagle FM is usually always about and thereā€™s some obstruction to the north, with a clear view down Lake Burragorang to the south.

3 Likes

I think it will be only a summer extreme tropo event only, in my local area, and in the spots with permanent Eagle fm reception.

The slight CCI received to Triple M CC this morning proves that it is certainly possible.

I will have to check out Burragorang Lookout at Nattai, one of the few places I havenā€™t been to around Sydney.

1 Like

Mackay still being received in Brisbane late this afternoon. Still some enhancement from Wide Bay plus low level Rockhampton.

1 Like

Good. :+1:

Slight tropo enhancement began last night with lower powered Canberra stnā€™s 91.1, 91.9 & 92.7 in. But they were received better this morning.
Managed to pull in R.50+'s RDS PI code again & receive a lower MPX noise floor, but still no RDS decode possible. Probably have to wait for resumption of the warm weather coastal tropo events.

Iā€™d like to try for that too.

Unfortunately an enduring rain event due to recommence from Thu night.
ā€œNot Happy Janā€!

3 Likes

Sometimes there can be some low level tropo with rain events, Hepburn saying sporadic at best with this event.

1 Like

And I think Iā€™m still a chance to get 2BRW over 2RE during tropo here as well. 2BRW has been received here before 2RE converted.

1 Like

Some low level coastal ducting occurring with the start of the rain event. So far enhancing the Central Coast and the Newcastle national fm stations.

Enough enhancement to get a RDS decode on Radio 50+

2 Likes

Well done. I missed it.

Is the ā€˜Easy Listeningā€™ visible txt RT or PTY?

2 Likes

The Easy Listening is PTY only and not Scrolling Text. Either they donā€™t have scrolling text or my signal level is still to low for a full RDS decode.
I will be up the Central Coast in a weeks time will be able to check the RDS of Radio 50+ then.

1 Like

BTW looks like Triple J Illawarra is on low power again. Signal weaker then all the other ABCā€™s, Wave and i98 from Knights Hill.
WS Fm translator on 99.1 is splattering all over it.

1 Like

Couple of vids from last weekendā€™s trip to the Education State:

A couple more to follow.

3 Likes

Bendigo stations 91.9 and 93.5 coming into Renmark tonight, large high pressure system is likely causing some enhancement

2 Likes

Great video, I thought it was interesting that Bemm River had its own RDS text when I was down there last month too.

That Bairnsdale Pirate is very interesting, any idea where abouts in town it TXs from? Seems fairly strong early in the video (the first shot of a location at 0:37 seemed to be the roundabout near the RSL, which was where the signal first fades a bit), and looks like it drops out by the time you get to the Bengworden Rd turnoff. How strong was the signal on the other side of town, out towards Lucknow? That might give you an idea of power/location of the TX, but from that I suspect itā€™s somewhere fairly central in town.

Also any pirate that plays Pseudo Echo (even if from a relay of a capital city stream) gets my vote to stay on air.

5 Likes

I got it to around Sarsfield, but it was very patchy around there. No reception after that heading down towards the Bruthen valley.

2 Likes