AM and FM DX

Getting an absolutely thumping signal from 2TRR Coolah here tonight (95.3). Continuous country music. Cant think of what else it could be.

4 Likes

Nice catch.
2TRR = Three Rivers Radio or Three Rivers FM as per ID’s etc in your video.

BTW with the SONY XDR-S3HD is there a STEREO indicator that lights up to indicate a Stereo Pilot carrier detected on the FM transmission?

2 Likes

Unfortunately there is not

3 Likes

2/3 bars on the Sony is a pretty good signal so probably would have got it in stereo.

1 Like

Just a notice for everyone, 2RPH on 100.5 from Kings Cross has quieter, cleaner audio, while Sugarloaf Range (Newcastle) is loud (over deviating) and the audio characteristics are different, more of a grainy sound as its being fed by the satellite receiver. They are at a bitrate they can afford, and they actually upped it and tried to match the audio sync with the Sydney 100.5 service, which is almost on point but there’s a slight echo from being just out of sync. The Kings Cross 100.5 seems to travel north quite well, as you can hear it in Port Stephens when their Sugarloaf Range TX is off air.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve been able to null in the Kings Cross 2RPH during strong tropo here in Newcastle. Its harder to detect these days because the audio is much more in sync now than it used to be… a few years back, Newcastle 2RPH would be about 5 seconds behind, and that made it easier to detect Kings Cross.

1 Like

I get a slight echo effect; both 2RPH’s can be received via tropo here.

3 Likes

West Coast FM DX drought broke tonight. Nova 937, permanent signal at my place, currently rivalling the Bunbury power stations on 93.3 and 94.1.

All the Perth suburban community stations also heard. Further up the coast, Lancelin 102.3 and 103.9 in and Geraldton, at RDS decode levels.

4 Likes

Did Lancelin have RDS or even stereo, or am I dreaming?

3 Likes

Hit 96.9 Shepparton and Mixx FM 101.3 Horsham into Renmark

4 Likes

Dreaming! Still a harsh, medium fidelity sound.

No FM stereo, but that does work to their advantage, extending usable coverage a fraction without the stereo hiss.

3 Likes

Opening to the south in Brisbane tonight. Coffs stronger than normal plus a hint of RN Taree on 97.1. Breeze from Tenterfield, Gem from Inverell

3 Likes

I received the same too on Sunday, plus Darling Downs and Wide Bay national signal enhancements.

Rebel Media signal from Mt Goonaneman also into Bris.

Mt Moombil national signals too, 91.5, 92.3 and so on.

89.1 west of Kingaroy too.

Mt Dowe national signals but no commercial Dowe signals sadly. Got Gem Inverell, not Glen Innes translator nor Armidale FM 100.3 or Walcha commercial translators.

Rebel’s duo from Tenterfield Mt Mackenzie and I’m sure TEN FM would have been reducing the Mt Dunsinane TAB signal on 89.7 within Brisbane RA1

4 Likes

Have you ever received these? 89.3 is clear for me.

Well well, I am playing Socrates now.

1 Like

Armidale and Glen Innes uses the most of the same frequencies as Wide Bay and Kempsey, which would limit opportunities to get them Brisbane

100.3 and 101.1 Armidale also blocked by Brisbane community stations as well.

I think Walcha is hard to get in most places. The only place I’ve heard them outside of Walcha is at Porcupine Lookout at Gunnedah. Never heard them on the Mid North Coast or here in Newcastle.

3 Likes

I heard 90.1 RN once very weakly from Forster, years ago. I thought I was getting the Gold Coast but there was no tropo up the coast from memory, so Walcha is more likely.

2 Likes

Don’t Forget that NOW FM is a Vertical Transmission so if you have a Horizontal Antenna that will make NOW hard to receive

7 Likes

The only open frequency into Brisbane from Armidale is Sky Racing on 104.3. The ABCs from Mt Moombil (90.7, 91.5, 92.3, 97.9 and 99,5) are all constant even if they are fighting with cochannels. I also have Mt Dowe ABC’s constant except 100.7 that fights with Hit. Breeze Tenterfield is very common though low levels though now it is fighting with its sister station from Childers. TEN used to be as well before TAB started. GEM from Inverell is other heard as well being on a comparatively clear channel of 95.1 as well as 93.5 RN (notable as the 2 frequencies heard most from Gladstone).

2 Likes

Best I’ve heard NOW in Brisbane is in the car for that exact reason, a typical horizontal antenna doesn’t do a great job for it. But I have had it coming in weak on the car radio driving over the Walter Taylor Bridge, so it definitely can appear here in good conditions.

3 Likes

A little while back driving down towards Rathdowney I had Breeze Tenterfield drowning out the co-owned Rebel rebroadcast from Kooralbyn, this was right near the Kooralbyn turnoff on the highway so only kilometres from the Rebel TX. Odd to hear the same company’s distant broadcast interfering with its local one.

3 Likes