AM and FM DX

RE HHH. I am not far from the transmitter, but where I live the “best” about 25 dbu although I do clock up to 30 if I am lucky. . I am about 8 km from the transmitter as the crow flies. Northside 99.3 FM is stronger, and I am outside the licence area.

I did listen to last night the 70s show at 10pm on Sangean DT-120 pocket radio, the stereo did sound better but the reception still the same. I do struggle to get stereo if I move the wire too much. My guess they have improved the kit in the studio but the power and transmitter is still the same. The online stream has improved a bit as well with the sound, but the FM is still much better.

3 Likes

my experience of Dubbo in 1994 on my parent’s 70s Datsun car radio (which wasn’t very sensitive) received both the Dubbo & Orange ABCs very well at equal strength. Both had nice stereo signals. No out of area signals could be heard at all incl the Mt Dowe TXers.

5 Likes

A repeat of yesterday night at the moment - Batemans Bay and Central West Slopes coming into Sydney again.

Also, for a few moments, a Chinese station came in on 106.0 MHz. Not sure what that was.

Edit 1: Manning River also coming in now.
Edit 2: Orange commercials also coming in on the SDR – usually only permanent on the car radio.

4 Likes

nice signal of Magic NZ atop Sydney 1107.

5 Likes

Good catch… They should call themselves Magic11 … now that would take me back!.. but I know it would be a network station though.

3 Likes

That 106.0 could well have been a car mp3 transmitter. When traveling with dxnerd, we often receive them (even on 108.0Mhz!). We try to guess which car has it :grinning:

4 Likes

I was kind of suspecting it was that. Although it was speech as opposed to music – but it could have been Internet streaming or a podcast I suppose.

I often scan the FM band whilst in the car and have come upon them many times as well – sometimes they’re on awkward frequencies, like 93.0 MHz (next to the 150 kW 92.9 MHz) or even on top of another station – particularly the sub-metro stations on 88.x MHz.

4 Likes

The TV side of ducting might’ve been a let-down but a number of radio stations were coming in strong in Renmark, the usual ones like Mix102.3 Adelaide and 99.5 Mildura were able to be picked up

3 Likes

possible India receive don 918khz. I assume Cambodia would be off air by that time? Does the music sound like India to you (as opposed to Chinese)?

3 Likes

China - nice signal on 684khz

2 Likes

Does Shazam tell you who the artist is?

That might give you a clue.

1 Like

I don’t have Shazam but Google didn’t pick up the “copyright” of the song which would have helped

2 Likes

according to a Japanese DXer on YT - his videos show Cambodia at 1700UTC - so that must be their sign off time. so my reception could be just Cambodia again as it would still be on air

2 Likes

BTW - in my DXing this morning, I noted zero signal from Saudi Arabia on 1440khz. What happened to this??? It used to boom in the 80s & early 90s. It should be pounding Canberra on 1440 but nope - not a trace!

2 Likes

Tropo echoes are quite strong in Bass Strait at the moment, so VIC to TAS reception is likely. A reasonably shallow but cool Southern Ocean airmass undercutting a very hot one inland.

1 Like

Strongest tropo dx I’ve had in many years from Canberra into Sydney at the moment.
Totally unexpected. 98.3 2XX & 101.5 Triple J in with RDS.
Canberra much stronger than Goulburn or Mittagong.

102.3 ABC Classic have a very low stereo pilot carrier @ -28dB (SDR#)

5 Likes

Unsurprising. Huge inversion with the low level easterly airmass undercutting the very hot one above. Bungendore is cooler than Thredbo Top Station at the moment.

Wow- getting Max FM 107.3 on just a portable! Ad for Harvey Norman Forster. Weird- there is nothing at all from 98.7 Taree.

6 Likes

Well done! Taree (ABCers) is very weak as usual from here. All the action is to the south here at the moment. Canberra reception is still there, but continued to weaken from tuning in around 0630 local time. Nothing from Queanbeyan.
I tried to cancel 88.9 Skid Rowe, not quite to white noise, but still no sign of Braidwood FM here unfortunately.

In the last several minutes 91.7 7NT Launceston has been coming in :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yep, got that too, along with 93.3 ABC Classic briefly coming in over Radio Five-0 Plus from Gosford. This is at my home location near Campbelltown.

5 Likes

Got three new loggings in Moss Vale
Power FM Bega in a null of 2MBS.
91.7, 93.3 ABC Stations (first loggings from the Apple Isle.)
The Tasmania Loggings had beaten my Personal Tropo record.

5 Likes