AM and FM DX

Some late season tropo this morning in Stanhope Gardens in NW Sydney.

Eagle Fm booming in on 93.5, 94.3 Tab racing radio also received.

Canberra- 101.5 Triple J, 102.3 ABC Classic fm, 103.9 News Radio, Hit 104.7, 105.5 SBS and Mix 106.3 also receivable on the car stereo. No community stations from Canberra receivable.

No other enhancements.

3 Likes

Took the new car (a Lancer, with the new stock Mitsubishi car audio system) out for a burl today. I thought Iā€™d park it in one of the streets out the back of Chapel Hill. While youā€™re literally on the side of Mt Coot-tha there, the terrain actually shields the local signals quite a bit, plus you have excellent LOS to the south from there. Iā€™ll talk more about the performance of the system in another thread, but thought Iā€™d initially share some highlights I received:

92.9 - Iā€™m presuming this was Tamworth, as it was a pop station too polished to be the godbotherers from Toowoomba. Played some pop tune and had ads with a 92.9 ID. If so, a first for me.

93.7 - Rebel Canungra with RDS reception (which shows ā€˜REBEL994ā€™ identical to 90.5 and 99.4). Couldnā€™t get the sister station from this site nearly as well, but this boomed in. As did its cousins from Beaudesert and Mt Tamborine which is to be expected.

99.4 and 99.5 from Mt Tamborine and Mt Moombil next to each other with minimal interference.

100.6 and 100.7 from Mt Tamborine and Toowomba next to each other - Toowoomba was strong enough to splatter over 100.6 but still didnā€™t get any RDS - does it have any?

102.5 - music identical to Breeze 92.1 and 100.6. I therefore believe this may have been Tenterfield and if so is another first get for me.

104.7 Grafton, playing identical music to ZZZ 100.9. Also nabbed 99.9 BAY FM from Byron.

Had all the GC stations belting in with full RDS as well. Funnily enough, the local signal was shielded enough that I couldnā€™t resolve RDS on 104.5, 105.3 et al, but they still managed to cause a bit of interference to adjacent channels (103.5 and 104.3 were real messes). But still, this may be a good location to prop whenever thereā€™s DX coming in from the south

2 Likes

Hows the dab radio and the quality of the sound?

Some very impressive catches there especially Tenterfield. I wonder if having the ā€œmountainā€ behind, acts as a reflector. Toowoomba 100.7 has RDS - only place I have received 100.6 and 100.7 both with RDS is crossing the top of the Gateway Bridge. Could 92.9 be 2NCR Lismore?

According to their website, 2NCR is IDed on-air as River FM.

Thanks guys. Yeah I thought Tamworth was a long shot, but to be honest it fit the bill. Definitely a commercial-sounding station playing pop music, and Iā€™m almost certain they simply IDed as ā€˜92.9ā€™, though now Iā€™m second guessing myself (I only listened for 30-odd seconds to catch an ID). Still itā€™s a long way away, so Iā€™m not sure - bet you if I try again there I wonā€™t get it, thus is the nature of the beast.

Either way, this certainly seems like a good location for some future DXing, which is especially handy given itā€™s a short drive from home. And given this was all using a stock car radio, itā€™s yet another feather in the cap of the olā€™ fashioned ā€˜car on a hillā€™ approach to DXing (one I personally am still quite fond of)

1 Like

Depending on the time of day, if it was 92.9 Tamworth it should have been the same program as 2ZZZ and 104.7

Did another check up there this weekend, this time in absolutely flat conditions (DX wise, it was blowing a gale on Saturday). Received a station playing music that IDed as ā€˜92.9 River FMā€™, so will presume that both receptions were of this. A little less exotic but good to have confirmation

Interesting to note that 104.7 Grafton does come in though, even in these flat conditions with 104.5 as a local so close by. I was also able to find spots where 2MW Currumbin overtook 4JJJ Darling Downs quite comfortably on 104.1, as well as finding locations where the opposite was true with the National services from Darling Downs defeating the Gold Coast stations on 105.7 and 107.3.

2 Likes

When FM radio first started 2NCR 92.9 was one of the first regional stations. With a almost empty FM band there were a couple of places around Brisbane where it could be received on a car radio.

After making some improvements to my DX setup I had been waiting for a day like this with no enhancements in any direction (seem to be quite rare).

Interested to know if any reception from Mt Dowe on perhaps 96.7, 99.1 or 99.9 in that location.

Finally worked out what the dance music station I have been hearing on 89.9 is. Looks like a temp station broadcasting from RNA grounds at very low power. Have never heard any ID.

http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/assignment_search.lookup?pACCESS_ID=1849042&pDEVICE_ID=2269781

This one?

http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/assignment_search.lookup?pEFL_ID=1602792

Yes thatā€™s it

Curious as to which event Norwest Productions are hosting at the Brisbane RNA, although canā€™t pinpoint it exactly at the moment:

My best guess based on the dance music theme of the station

This weekend!! Saturday May 28th is Brisbaneā€™s newest local DJ festival, EVM Showcase! Organised by local Brisbane DJs and hosted at the Jubilee Hotel, the EVM Showcase is a full day of DJ performers playing multiple genres over 3 stages. All illuminated by awe inspiring background lights and projected motion graphics. Youā€™re in for a treat, being immersed in a world of sound and visuals! The EVM Showcase supports the One Punch Can Kill Campaign by donating proceeds and raising awareness. Tickets available online now! For further information visit

107.9 due to host a temporary broadcast again from Eastern Creek Raceway from 10 June

1 Like

Good to know, Iā€™ll be sure to check if I can receive this pop-up station when the time comes! :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Looking for some advice to replace my trusty handheld FM radio (Sony SRF-S84) that I use when traveling. This little baby has given me some fantastic listening for the last 10 years not only on the ground, but up in the air while in flight.

Can anybody recommend a good handheld FM radio receiver, preferably with RDS? Other features that would be ideal would be recording and saving function and decent battery life, and iTunes Tagging via RDS.

Iā€™ve got an upcoming trip to America, and 5 years ago flying from LA to NY listening to my Sony in the air was an amazing experience listening to all the different markets as we flew over them.

Does anybody recommend the iPod Nano for the FM Radio app? Nowdays it seems itā€™s best to look for an MP3 / Media Player that also has an FM Radio as apposed to a pure FM radio receiver.

I can recommend THIS oneā€¦

Reception is quite good. Though itā€™s not particularly cheap, but does have RDS. And the tuning wheel doesnā€™t work particularly well for manual tuning.

It uses a rechargeable battery and life seems reasonable enough. Though youā€™d need to take an American pin adapter with you for it.

If you can live without RDS, this could be a goerā€¦

https://www.tecsunradios.com.au/store/product/tecsun-pl365-radio/

I donā€™t have this model, but I am a big fan of Tecsun for DXing in general.

I am in America right now actually, I have also tried HD Radio here, which I have posted comments in the Digital Radio thread.

Although three of four are probably not ideal (except to solely replace the Sony SRF-S84) all these handhelds are 20% off per the Ebay June promotion:

• Philips AE1530 Pocket Radio (analogue tuning) - Good Guys

• Sony ICFP26 Pocket Radio (analogue tuning) - Good Guys & Kogan

• Teac PR129 Portable Radio (analogue tuning) - Betta

• Sangean DPR34 Digital Radio FM DAB (digital tuning, RDS, recommended by R-head) - Good Guys

From ā€œCentral Coast Radioā€ thread (edited for relevance):

During that time, it would be interesting to see how clear and/or how far north 94.9 Power FM can be received into Sydney & potentially beyond without having Rhema FM on the air, like how it was for many years before Rhema came on-air in the early 2000s. I know ā€˜Radioheadā€™ has managed to receive Power FM over Rhema during tropo at his home in Charlestown (southern Newcastle).

Likewise for Pulse 94.1 from Saddleback Mountain (near Kiama), which, within Sydney, is normally only received in the south-eastern suburbs (Randwick, Maroubra, Botany etc) & parts of the north-west around Castle Hill, particularly in areas with good line-of-sight towards the south.