AM and FM DX

AM DX 19/05/2021 Digitech AR1780 using inbuilt AM antenna in suburban Coffs Harbour. Between 19:30 and 20:00 local time.

531 FM93.5 Radio 531 Kempsey
540 ABC Western Queensland Longreach Qld
549 ABC Central West Cumnock
558 4GY Gympie Qld
567 RNZ National Wellington NZ
576 Radio National Sydney
585 2WEB Bourke
594 ABC Western Victoria Horsham Vic
603 Radio National Nowra
612 ABC Radio Brisbane Brisbane Qld
621 Radio National Melbourne Vic
630 ABC News Radio Sydney
639 2HC Coffs Harbour
648 ABC New England North West Tamworth
657 AM Network Wellington NZ
666 ABC Radio Canberra Canberra ACT
675 ABC Radio Riverina Corowa
684 ABC Mid North Coast Kempsey
693 4KQ Brisbane Qld
702 ABC Radio Sydney Sydney NSW
702 Today FM Auckland NZ
711 ABC Southern Queensland St George Qld
720 ABC North Coast Murwillumbah
738 ABC North Coast Grafton
747 ABC Southern Queensland Toowoomba Qld
756 ABC Mid North Coast Taree
774 ABC Radio Melbourne Melbourne
792 Radio National Brisbane Qld
801 SEN Track Gosford
810 ABC South East Bega
819 ABC New England North West Glen Innes
828 ABC Gippsland Sale Vic
837 ABC Capricornia Rockhampton Qld
846 Radio National Canberra ACT
855 ABC Wide Bay Pialba/Eidsvold Qld
864 Triple M Toowoomba Qld
873 2GB Sydney
882 4BC Brisbane
891 ABC Radio Adelaide Adelaide SA
900 2LM Lismore
927 4CC Gladstone Qld
936 ABC News Radio Brisbane Qld
954 2UE Sydney
963 4WK Warwick Qld
972 Radio 97 Murwillumbah
981 2NM Muswellbrook
990 4RO Rockhampton Qld
1008 Radio TAB Brisbane Qld
1017 Sky Sports Radio Sydney
1026 4MK Mackay Qld
1035 Newstalk ZB Wellington NZ
1044 ABC Radio Newcastle Muswellbrook
1053 2CA Canberra ACT
1062 ABC Riverland Renmark SA
1017 4SB Kingaroy Qld
1080 2MO Gunnedah
1080 Newstalk ZB Auckland NZ
1089 2EL Orange
1098 Radio National Goulburn
1107 SBS Radio Sydney
1116 4BH Brisbane
1125 1RPH Canberra ACT
1134 2AD Armidale
1143 2HD Newcastle
1152 Triple M Wagga Wagga
1161 Radio TAB Maryborough Qld
1170 SEN Sydney
1179 Vision Australia Radio Melbourne Vic
1197 4YB Brisbane Qld
1206 2GF Grafton
1206 2CC Canberra ACT
1224 2RPH Sydney
1233 ABC Radio Newcastle Newcastle
1242 4AK Oakey Qld
1251 2DU Dubbo
1260 RSN Shepparton Vic
1269 2SM Sydney
1278 Magic 1278 Melbourne Vic
1287 2TM Tamworth
1296 4RPH Brisbane Qld
1305 Radio National Renmark SA
1314 Sky Sports Radio Wollongong
1323 Cruise 1323 Adelaide SA
1332 4BU Bundaberg Qld
1341 Sky Sports Radio Newcastle
1350 2LF Young
1368 GNFM Goulburn
1386 Radio Tarana Auckland NZ
1395 ABC Central West Lithgow
1404 2PK Parkes
1413 SBS Radio Newcastle
1422 Radio Hellas Melbourne Vic
1431 Radio National Wollongong
1440 SBS Radio Canberra ACT
1449 2MG Mudgee
1458 ABC News Radio Newcastle
1476 4ZR Roma Qld
1476 SENZ Auckland NZ
1485 SBS Radio Wollongong
1494 2AY Albury
1503 3KND Melbourne ic
1512 Radio National Newcastle
1521 2QN Deniliquin
1530 2VM Moree
1539 SEN Track Sydney
1548 ABC Capricornia Emerald Qld
1557 2RE Taree
1566 3NE Wangaratta Vic
1575 SEN Track Wollongong
1584 4CC Rockhampton
1593 Sky Sports Radio Murwillumbah
1602 ABC South East Cooma

5 Likes

That’s an awesome list, 801 SEN Track Gosford’s a good catch, as it’s still at extremely low power (I think), probably around, or less than 500W (normally 5kW) & the fact that the 3 mast directional array is working, but needs the phasing tuning, as the full licensed power isn’t thought to be radiating Northwards.

1 Like

Impressive. Here at my place on the southern end of the central coast I get the echo effect too from receiving both signals (its where my outdoor antenna placement is) that allows this.

1 Like

This digitech receiver (rebranded XHDATA) can be switched to US mode (10KHz steps on AM) and allows reception all the way up to 1710AM.

Also, how well were you receiving 801 SEN Track from Chittaway Point ? after some severe weather a few months back the station went off the air, then returned a week later with a much weaker signal, then went back off air, and has now returned with a weak signal. I cal null out 801 on my AR1780 just a few km south of the TX site. Reception in Gosford is pretty much non existent. Prior to this, 801 covered gosford and the southern end of the coast quite well, after the site had some extensive maintenance on the site in 2020. I think the TX hut got flooded and the origninal TX (2GOs old Harris 5kW tube TX). I think this site needs a complete re build, as the signal has slowly degraded over the years. Much like 2HD’s site. Not the same strength as I remember when I first got into DXing 12yrs ago.

1 Like

I suspect the hut got flooded during bad weather a few months back. And the signal is definitely not radiating properly as the signal shows obvious phasing issues that you can hear as you mentioned. I think this is one of those sites that slowly went to ruins over the years. Rete Italia basically crumbled due to the times and technology.

This is the reason SEN Track 801 Gosford is not a good signal currently, I posted this about a month ago, I have spoken directly with the tech who looks after the site, as an addition to this he said, that all 3 masts work, but he thinks the phasing needs testing & adjusting, it hasn’t been done since SEN took over the site & he doesn’t know how many years since it was last checked, whether SEN will get him to do it or not is another matter.

The hut was never flooded, the tech showed me photos of the damaged transmitter, it’s pretty bad & is a major rebuild, personally I would’ve replaced the transmitter, but I doubt SEN have the money to do it, it’s not a tube TX either it’s a solid state BE.

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/central-coast-radio/102/551?u=rfburns

4 Likes

Makes you wonder if a lot of radio infrastructure is even being maintained anymore? 8 years ago when I last set foot in a transmitter site it was common to see clogged air filters and PA modules with red LED’s on them. Community radio were the worst offenders but commercial radio was heading that way too. One obvious question is how many sites even have a working standby transmitter now? - old STC’s and RCA Ampliphases would be hard to get bits for or find techs that can maintain them.

3 Likes

Guess SEN would be trying to direct most listeners to be using 1170 Sydney service so the motive to spend money on 801 would be limited. In general are Sydney services received clearly in Gosford ? If I compare to VIC, Geelong at a similar distance has no issues with Melbourne services but mindful that line of sight is flat compared to the more hilly outskirts of Sydney

2 Likes

What’s the goal in having these narrowcast SEN track stations if they aren’t investing in making them listenable?

Are they just selling “you can reach listeners in Gosford” - just not mentioning to advertisers that no one can hear it?

2 Likes

It’s SEN Track in Gosford, so they can’t really (or wouldn’t want to) direct listeners to 1170 Sydney as that’s SEN.
SEN Track Sydney on 1539 is not good in Gosford, probably non-existent in most places, though I haven’t really tested it.

In general Sydney AM’s are received in Gosford, but in parts not clearly & to the Northern end of the Central Coast, more not clearly than yes.

The 801 transmitter site is on the Tuggerah Lake (literally) towards the North end of the Central Coast, SEN & Rete Italia before it, use it as a point to get into the Newcastle market area also, where they will probably never have a service.

Back in the 2GO days, 801kHz got into Newcastle (even the CBD) like a local did, it was very strong to the North, it’s coverage slowly deteriorated through the Rete Italia years as the site deteriorated with no love, & at times due to copper thieves, one or more masts were rendered not working, also the noise floor for AM reception has come up quite a bit since the 2GO days of the late '80’s, but all masts were restored to operational & a bit of work was done (maybe a few years ago now) to bring the site back up to scratch, not new condition but good for it’s age.

Since SEN took over, it’s signal to the North into Lake Macquarie/Newcastle has been reasonable but not good, the transmitter site is closer to Newcastle than it is to the Northern Suburbs/North Shore of Sydney, but the reception of 801 in Sydney is night & day compared to reception in Newcastle.

The normal radiation pattern pushes a lot of the signal South West back in to Gosford & thus into Sydney, but it seems like there’s currently much more signal going into Sydney than there is into Newcastle, more so than it ever seemed like it did, taking into account the greater distance into Sydney than into Newcastle, thus why it’s thought the mast/antenna phasing is out of whack & needs testing & adjusting. In other words all masts are working, but if the phasing between them is wrong, the directional radiation pattern will be out & not to licence specifications.

2 Likes

801 was very weak, only just above the noise level. Wasnt sure if it was 5RM or SEN Track. I heard what sounded like a race call and went with SEN.

2 Likes

Down in Ulladulla, motel has a good north facing outlook, and as a bonus very little RF noise. It allowed me to get indoor reception as below (highlights).

• Weak 93.3 2RPH from Wollongong
  • Clean mono on WSFM (16db) 2DAY and MMM (12db) also received but not as good. 2ST 106.7 splattered over KIIS. Gore Hill stations barely above the noise floor.
  • As for Wollongong, 90.9 News Radio was the best (60db), but in somewhat of a surprise Power FM was next strongest (57db) with other ABCs around 54db. Pulse also good at 40db, but nothing from Brokers Nose 105.3 or 106.9.
  • Line of sight to the south is a bit obstructed here - Mt Wandera ABCs Ok at 33db, but Power 104.3 and 2EC 105.9 only around 20db.
4 Likes

How is 88.9?

1 Like

Haven’t heard it on my radio indoors (yet), but will definitely check on my car radio in the morning.

I meant to tell you, i had 88.9 this morning at Billys Lookout near Kiama and Roxette RDS flashed up on my car radio during a Roxette song, but when i checked back again a few minutes later, there was no RDS, i suspect i had a marginal signal.

2 Likes

Yes we can be received at Mount Pleasant (Billy’s Lookout). That is usually as far north as we get along the coast, though reception could be possible further north in patches.

88.9 is strong from the Ulladulla lighthouse. You can also get pretty good reception up and down the coast from there. Try the Tuross Head golf club spot tomorrow, though I suspect with the gale force westerlies predicted, there won’t be much about.

3 Likes

I don’t think these readings would be the norm with the nationals fm’s at Knights Hill using a temporary antenna, probably lower down the mast, and at times on reduced power.

How has the signal of i98 and Wave fm at your Ulladulla motel?

2 Likes

They were pretty decent (42db), not as good as the other Knights Hill stations. Pulse FM 94.1 was pretty close behind at 38db, though it’s at Saddleback. Pulse, Wave and i98 are all 4kw towards Ulladulla.

According to my switch Ulladulla is at bearing of 195’ from Knights Hill so it just fits within the 20KW (130-200).

Even Nowra is at bearing of 197 so it just fits into the 20KW too.

To cover Nowra from Knights Hill to account for terrain you need 50KW this is where Power fm has the edge. Where you don’t have the terrain obstruction i98 / Wave fm travel out to the south quite well. Another reason why Power fm and Wave fm should not share the same playlist.

2 Likes

Drove from Eden to Bairnsdale today. It’s a pretty remote area with not much traffic (or radio) around.

3MGB coverage and audio quality, particularly on 96.9 Genoa, was pretty ordinary, was scratchy even just 10 kms past Genoa. 101.7 Mallacoota was better, but not by a lot. Cann River ABCs on 106.1 and 107.7 became reliable from Genoa to near Orbost.

Eden stations started to fade out past Genoa, but Brown Mountain and Bombala had varying levels of reception from south of Eden to west of Cann River.

I checked AM whilst in Cann River given my 1984 memory of getting NOTHING on AM there. 810 2BA was fair, but 828 3GI was better and listenable, but with a reasonable amount of noise. There basically nothing else on AM there.

Orbost stations started to be received from Cann River, 95.5 was an RSN relay.

3GV Bemm River 104.5 was received with GOLDFM RDS! (interesting given 98.3 Bairnsdale RDS is GoldFM) near the Bemm River turn off.

Bairnsdale stations and Gippsland ABCs started to become receivable about 30 kms east of Orbost.

……

Now for FM bandscan highlights from Jemmys Point Lookout at Lakes Entrance.

89.3 3NE with 3NE RDS
90.1 Triple M Omeo fair no RDS, signal probably not strong enough
91.5 Smooth Melbourne was very weak.
91.7 was weak - suspected 3HCR Swifts Creek
91.9 SEN / Track / 91.9 Dynamic RDS from Warragul
93.1 SBS Melbourne with RDS
93.5 was weak - suspect 3WPH Warragul
94.3 Triple M Warragul - was good with MMMGipps* RDS
96.1 was weak, suspect XLFM given I had this with RDS between Cann River and Orbost.
97.9 Triple M Traralgon, fair but no RDS.
100.3 Nova100 also very weak as with Smooth. Not a peep from ARN or SCA Melbourne stations however.
103.9 Life FM Gippsland has better reception this way than 104.7 Gippsland FM. No RDS detected on either of them.
105.9 and 107.5 were Melbourne ABCs with RDS. Classic still running their dynamic RDS.

….

In Bairnsdale itself, car radio reception is fine, but even local stations aren’t really strong enough on my Tecsun. Commercials 98.3 and 99.9 only peaked at 41db, 3REG 105.5 and ABCs on 106.3 and 107.9. Given Gold/TR are 5kw, and ABCs 2kw and only 14kms away, I would have expected better reception than this.

Gippsland ABCs similarly peak at 31db, but being 112 kms away that is only to be expected.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing this, I have wonderful memories of Bairnsdale and East Gippsland having spent a good chunk of my childhood school holidays there.

Interesting you note that the DMG Melbourne FMs are still stronger out there. I had thought it was because they broadcast from a different tower (the old GTV-9 tower rather than the ATV-10 one on a different part of the mountain), but had been reliably informed here that they no longer did. So maybe there is another reason why they are so much stronger in that part of the world?

The Bairnsdale FM strength observations are also interesting. Back in the analogue TV days a lot of homes in Bairnsdale had masthead amplifiers for TV reception despite having the UHF antennas pointed at Mt Taylor (at 15km distance) rather than Mt Tassie (which was more ~115km). Maybe the signal strength isn’t that good in Bairnsdale itself after all?

I’d also be curious if you’re heading back that way to check how good 1242AM is in the East of Gippsland. Back in the 90s they used to claim they were ‘No. 1 from Moe to Orbost’ but I suspected the signal barely reached either centre. I’m not sure what the AM signal might be like these days in those further reaches of the region.

3 Likes