AM and FM DX

That’s what I’m assuming. They would probably keep the 102.9 tx at Bowral, though, to maintain split programming during the morning. The tx power to the north would be similar to Power FM today. The current 91.7 tx at Huskisson would go, along with possibly 106.7 at Ulladulla (there’s no Power FM translator down there after all).

1 Like

You’re not the full 800KHz separation from the adjacent channel, theoretically you can be closer, but you depend on all operators sticking to their 75KHz deviation & 200KHz wide channel as per licence conditions.

NewFM when it goes astray, doesn’t interfere with Star 104.5 or even ABC ClassicFM, if Star was to go the way of NewFM, both Triple M & 2Day would suffer interference in the Northern Suburbs of Sydney.

As it stands now 96.3 is only 200KHz from both 96.1 Katoomba & 96.5 Cessnock, at various places our signal overlaps with the signal from both other services & at 200KHz channel bandwidth, that means our channel top & bottom butt’s up against or overlaps both services on 96.2 & 96.4, this can cause adjacent channel interference to all 3 stations.
I filter our signal to keep it within bandwidth & deviation as much as possible, so we don’t interfere with the other stations, I can only hope they do the same, but I don’t think they do.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Though using a frequency lower than 91.7 shouldn’t be an issue since there aren’t any other stations on the Coast below 92.5…?

Another point is that most modern radio receivers are better at handling adjacent channel interference (e.g. from 96.1 to 96.3) than older receivers.

There’s none on the CC, but there’s plenty around Sydney we could interfere with, the CoastFM signal currently travels well within the Sydney area.

That’s ok as long as the adjacent channels don’t go outside the 200KHz bandwidth & overlap.
If they overlap, even the best radio on the market won’t cope with the interference, because part of the adjacent channel will be in-band & will interfere with the station you’re trying to receive.

Yes, even the gold standard Sony XDR series tuners suffer from splatter ±200 kHz from an over-deviating tx. That’s not to mention tx spurs which can really render even the most selective tuner useless; 2DAY and 2MMM had strong spurs ±250 kHz from their nominal frequencies in 2009 which pretty much wiped out reception of stations like 103.9 Canberra and 105.1 Orange on the XDR-F1HD.

3 Likes

@Radiohead Northern Blacktown area, apparently not far from @Ant5476 whom generally reports similar catches. My location is blocked to the East however which is handy for reducing strong signals from Artarmon (unhelpful though for DAB or everyday TV/FM). Location favours Wollongong over central coast also. 94.1 for example is from the gong, not Central Coast.

I have an “omni” fm antenna (that is not quiet omni, I’d say it has more of a fig 8 pattern) which is split between the Sony XDR and Onkyo stereo amp. The Onkyo tuner is very good but comparatively the XDR is slightly more sensitive and definitely the winner for adjacent channel rejection. The XDR is sometimes able to pull out 103.3 TAB Upper Hunter right next to 2CBA, the Onkyo can’t.
The Onkyo is probably quicker to decode RDS though and it can still tune 200KHz from strong locals (e.g. it will resolve 105.1 Triple M Orange).

1 Like

89.5 would reluctantly be my pick of those options also, the problem being 2RES as dxnerd has pointed out. 90.1 just as bad as 89.3 due to 2NBC. Yes 89.5 is offset but when 2ST moves to Knights Hill (proposed) 91.7 will have the exact same problem that Rhema and Power FM have now.

They’ve (2NSB) just done a TX upgrade and moved to a new (much higher) site. 3x mixed pol array and new BW processor/transmitter. Quiet a noticeable improvement out this way. I used to get Brock clean but now it’s ‘even Steven’.

Without putting much thought in, how about this arrangement for Bathurst/Lithgow?
95.1 - 2BS
98.3 - Brock (may be something to move to allow this, can’t remember what)
99.5 - MoveFM (shift Cowra to 99.3 and remove Wentworth Falls)

1 Like

98.3 is currently broadcasting ABC Newsradio in Bathurst.

As for the others, don’t forget that 2LT is also earmarked to convert to FM as part of the AM-FM conversion program, so there needs to be a spare frequency for that too. The Licence Area Plans for both Bathurst & Lithgow are set to be open for consulation sometime within the next couple of months, so we’ll find out on what frequencies that ACMA will allocate for both 2BS & 2LT.

1 Like

What’s required is a wholesale re allocation to accommodate full coverage frequencies for FM conversion of BS, LT and end the compromised 107.9 for Lithgow also.

It won’t happen of course, ACMA have shown no interest in doing so, it would lessen FM congestion around Sydney. Perhaps they don’t have the budget for it or would like a specific budget allocation for it.

LAPs open for comment are the perfect time to submit a wider suggestion that the allocations could be better served if there was a wide area re organisation.

It is SO needed! Such wasteful allocation of frequencies in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane / Gold Coast.

But it no doubt suits incumbent broadcasters which quiver at the thought of more competition. So much for free enterprise.

1 Like

My comment was not so much to unsettle incumbent broadcasters but to correct historical anomalies and blunders made by ACMA and its predecessor regulators.

Remove co chanelling where coverage is limited by interference such as B Rock and 2NSB or where adjacent or second adjacent markets are 0.2 away from each other

1 Like

Mt Barrow ABC’s coming into Melbourne as usual…

1 Like

94.5 News Radio from Sunshine Coast has been received in Brisbane better than usual this week. (I wish it wouldn’t, prefer the wide coverage of ABC Lismore from Mt Nardi)

2 Likes

Mt Barrow ABC’s as usual, is this a winter occurrence as well?

I find here that some enhanced levels of FM reception can occur right up until June, but once the winter solstice comes, it all disappears and doesn’t return much at all until as late as December sometimes.

4 Likes

Got 1494 2AY Albury and 1152 2WG Wagga Wagga at the SCG last night.

Screw SCA and the Triple M brand, 1152 is, was and always will be 2WG. Triple M is FM in Metro areas only.

5 Likes

Were 2AY and 2WG both airing the AFL last night? (I assume you were there for the Swans game?).

IIRC, 2AY had the AFL and were taking AFL Nation. 2WG may have been taking the idiotic 6pm Friday NRL game.

2 Likes

Yep. It’s the westerly winds and associated cold fronts that really kill tropo because there are no temperature inversions to play with. The westerlies really don’t get going until after the June solstice as mentioned, particularly in recent years.

There is still plenty of warm air over southern Australia at the moment with 30C as far south as Griffith; high 20s over most of western VIC. The seabreezes and southerlies off Bass Strait cool the lower levels of the atmosphere, setting up a temperature inversion south of the ranges, extending further inland in the morning.

4 Likes

The Hepburn charts for today through to Wednesday are forecasting some inland tropo at first for Southern NSW, and then some coastal tropo then expanding up the mid north coast by mid week. The strength is only forecasted to be fair to medium.

At my location at present starting to get some enhancments from Canberra, but only very weak. Only receiving ABC Classic Fm and News Radio faintly under the splatter of the locals. Otherwise only permanent signals received.

1 Like