Alone Australia

Ratings Snapshot: Alone Australia soars past 900,000 viewers

• The Easter holiday break has seen Australian audiences seek out Alone Australia and new drama Rogue Heroes on SBS On Demand with both shows soaring to the top of the digital 7 Day OzTAM VPM rankings.

• In the fortnight since the debut of Alone Australia the first episode of the show has seen a Total TV uplift of 207% driven largely by Australians watching on SBS On Demand. Episodes two and three have also had a significant uplift of 161% and 165% respectively.

• The Total TV audience for episode one now stands at 909,000 helping cement its place as SBS’s highest rating program for 2023 to date. Episode two is now at a Total TV audience of 894,000 and episode three is now at 809,000 with all the episodes continuing to rise on the OzTAM VPM rankings as audiences continued to tune in over the break to experience the hit survival franchise set in Western Tasmania.

• Episode four of Alone Australia, broadcast last night, drew a linear national audience on SBS of 355,000 (metro: 204,000 reg: 98,000). Since 7.30pm yesterday a further 54,000 viewers have watched this episode on SBS On Demand (Live+VOD).

• Historical drama Rogue Heroes, which depicts the origins of the British Army SAS, is also performing strongly online since its debut last Wednesday night. The show has drawn 138,000 viewers on SBS OnDemand in the past week taking it to number 3 in the 7 Day OzTAM VPM rankings. This is a 157% Total TV uplift in its audience bringing its Total TV audience to 550,000 (metro: 129,000 reg: 85,000 Time Shift: 198,000 BVOD: 138,000).

Update:

Episode three
TOTAL TV METRO REGIONAL BVOD 7 DAY TV TOTAL TV
Audience Overnight Overnight Live+VOD Time Shift UPLIFT
AVERAGE
AUDIENCE 809,000 195,000 109,000 255,000 249,000 165%

Alone Australia on the cusp of 1 million viewers for episode one

• Alone Australia continues to grow its audience, particularly for SBS On Demand with episode one now on the cusp of passing the 1 million viewers mark in terms of the Total TV audience.
  • In the three weeks since the debut of Alone Australia the first episode of the show has seen a phenomenal 229% Total TV uplift driven largely by Australians watching on SBS On Demand. Episodes two, three and four have all had significant uplifts of 179%, 193% and 178% respectively.
  • The Total TV audience for episode one now stands at 975,000 and isSBS’s highest rating program for 2023 to date. Episode two is now at a Total TV audience of 958,000, episode 3 is now at 892,000 and episode 4 is now at 843,000
  • All the episodes of Alone Australia as well as Rogue Heroes continue to dominate the top of on the OzTAM VPM rankings across both the 7 Day and 28 Day rankings with last week’s episode sitting firmly at number one in the 7 Day rankings.
  • Episode five of Alone Australia, broadcast last night, drew a linear national audience on SBS of 345,000 (metro: 233,000 reg: 112,000). Since 7.30pm yesterday a further 64,000 viewers have watched this episode on SBS On Demand (Live+VOD).
  • Historical drama Rogue Heroes, which depicts the origins of the British Army SAS, is also performing strongly online since its debut two weeks ago. The first episode has drawn 208,000 viewers on SBS OnDemand and is in the top 10 in the 28 day rankings. This is a 190% Total TV uplift in its audience bringing its Total TV audience to 620,000 (metro: 129,000 reg: 85,000 Time Shift: 199,000 BVOD: 208,000 (Live+VOD).
  • Episode two of Rogue Heroes had a 167% Total TV uplift in its audience bringing its Total TV audience to 484,000 (metro: 118,000 reg: 63,000 Time Shift: 169,000 BVOD: 134,000 (Live+VOD)).
  • Last night SBS had a metro linear share of 6.6% on its primary channel and 10.8% network share in total people.

More

2 Likes

Alone Australia cements its place as breakout hit new TV show of 2023

• Alone Australia has passed the 1 million viewer mark for episodes one and two driven largely by the show’s tremendous success on SBS On Demand with almost half the audience coming from online and confirming its place as one of the breakout hit new TV shows of 2023.

• Commenting on the milestone Kathryn Fink SBS’s Director of Television said: “In launching Alone Australia, we were confident it would perform well and Total TV audiences have exceeded our expectations as Australians have tuned in across platforms to follow the highs and lows experienced by our participants. Of the more than one million Australians who have now watched the first episodes, almost half have watched on SBS On Demand, demonstrating the strong shift to the multiplatform on-demand world that television is increasingly moving to. This is such a unique, multi-faceted and compelling show, and in an era where the battle for capturing the attention of audiences with new formats is so fierce, SBS is incredibly proud of how Alone Australia is proving to be a standout new hit series for Australian audiences.”

• In the month since the debut of Alone Australia the first episode of the show has seen a phenomenal 315% Total TV uplift driven largely by Australians watching on SBS On Demand. Episodes two, three, four and five have all had significant uplifts of 249%, 210%, 204% and 151% respectively.

• The Total TV audience for episode one now stands at 1.231m (when taking into account both SBS On Demand and 28 Day Timeshift) and is SBS’s highest rating program for 2023 to date. Episode two is now at a Total TV audience of 1.196m, episodes 3, 4 and 5 are now at 945,000, 921,000 and 874,000 respectively.

• SBS is dominating the 28 Day OzTAM VPM rankings through the success of both Alone Australia as well as Rogue Heroes with the network taking out six of the top 10 slots.

• Linear TV audiences also continue to be strong for the show. Episode six of Alone Australia, broadcast last night, had a linear audience of 333,000 (metro: 231,000 reg: 102,000). Since 7.30pm yesterday a further 65,000 viewers have watched this episode on SBS On Demand (Live+VOD) bringing its total audience to date to 398,000.

More

1 Like

That is a huge increase. Do you think that some of the audience is coming from it’s fanbase overseas (e.g. from people using VPNs to access it)?

Alone Australia audiences continue to soar

Three episodes of Alone Australia have now passed the one million viewer mark.
SBS dominates digital viewing taking out eight of the top 10 slots in OzTAM 28 Day VPM rankings.

The first three episodes of Alone Australia have now all passed the 1 million viewer mark driven largely by the show’s incredible success on SBS On Demand with almost half the audience coming from online.

In the month since the debut of Alone Australia the first episode of the show has seen a phenomenal 329% Total TV uplift driven largely by Australians watching on SBS On Demand. The other six episodes have also had significant uplifts of between 153% and 273% respectively. See breakdown below.

The Total TV audience for episode one now stands at 1.27m (when taking into account both SBS On Demand and 28 Day Timeshift) and remains SBS’s highest rating program for 2023 to date. Episode two and three are now at a Total TV audience of 1.23m and 1.14m respectively. Episodes 4, 5 and 6 also continue to grow with Total TV audiences of in excess of 845,000 each and continuing to grow.

SBS is also continuing to dominate the 28 Day OzTAM VPM rankings through the success of both Alone Australia as well as Rogue Heroes with the network taking out an incredible eight of the top 10 slots.

Linear TV audiences also continue to be strong for the show. Episode seven of Alone Australia, broadcast last night, had a linear audience of 345,000 (metro: 230,000 reg: 115,000). Since 7.30pm yesterday a further 64,000 viewers have watched this episode on SBS On Demand (Live+VOD) bringing its total audience to date to 409,000.

More

1 Like

https://twitter.com/SBS/status/1656443264411508738?s=20

• Hosted by Amanda Keller OAM, stream Alone Australia: The Reunion after the final episodes on SBS On Demand on Wednesday 24 May or tune into SBS on Thursday 25 May at 7.30pm.
  • The special episode follows the phenomenal success of the series, with the first four episodes of Alone Australia surpassing the one million viewer mark.

As we count down to the Alone Australia finale, the TV juggernaut will continue with a reunion special that looks back over the intense premiere season.

Alone Australia has become the breakout new TV series of the year. With just three episodes and three participants remaining, audiences continue to soar with the first four episodes having now all passed the one million viewer mark driven largely by the show’s incredible success on SBS On Demand.

Off the back of this success, SBS is excited to announce a special one-hour program, Alone Australia: The Reunion. Hosted by Amanda Keller OAM**,** the show brings together the entire cast for the first time since they were dropped in the remote wilds of Western Tasmania/ lutruwita, completely isolated from the world and each other, stripped of modern possessions, contact and comforts, to self-document their experience.

The final two episodes of Alone Australia premiere on Wednesday 24 May at 7.30pm and 8.30pm, exclusively on SBS and SBS On Demand, and culminate with Alone Australia: The Reunion directly after the finale on SBS On Demand and Thursday 25 May at 7.30pm on SBS.

After months of isolation for some, challenged by the merciless forces of nature, hunger, and loneliness, join Beck, Chris, Duane, Gina, Jimmy. Kate. Michael, Mike, Peter and Rob as they discuss their experiences and reveal never-before-seen footage.

Host of Alone Australia: The Reunion Amanda Keller said: “I have been a massive fan of Alone for years and have been glued to the Australian series (even though it has slowed down my consumption of boiled eels). I can’t wait to debrief with the cast and hear all the behind-the-scenes stories of their incredible experience."

SBS Head of Unscripted Joseph Maxwell said: “SBS is incredibly proud of how Alone Australia has become the standout new hit series of 2023, as Australians have followed the highs and lows of our incredible cast over the past six weeks. They’ve battled everything from extreme weather, hunger, and loneliness - along with falling tree limbs, slippery eels, and clever pademelons - and we know fans will be thrilled to see them come together in studio for this special program, Alone Australia: The Reunion. Expect tears, laughter and exclusive scenes giving insight into their experience.”

ITV Studios Australia Head of Factual Ben Ulm said: “We’re doing this for entirely selfish reasons. These 10 remarkable unique individuals have shared with us their most intimate, vulnerable, as well as triumphant moments over a long period of time. Executive Producer Riima Daher and her team sweated on their respective journeys every hour of every day, sight unseen! And we are so proud that Australia has now embraced each and every participant. I just want to hang out with them again and tell tales out of school. For individuals who like being alone, this is more of a re-union with their audience, and a celebration of extraordinary humanity. I only had to ask Amanda once.”

Alone Australia is an A&E format and ITV Studios Australia production for SBS.

Alone Australia continues Wednesdays with the final two episodes premiering Wednesday 24 May at 7.30pm and 8.30pm, exclusively on SBS and SBS On Demand.

Ratings Snapshot - Key callouts:

• As temperatures plummeted across the Eastern seaboard this week, audiences have continued to be captivated by the experiences of the Alone Australia participants in the wilds of Western Tasmania with the first four episodes of Alone Australia all having now passed the 1 million viewer mark driven largely by the show’s incredible success on SBS On Demand with almost half the audience coming from online.
  • In the seven weeks since the debut of Alone Australia the first episode of the show has seen a phenomenal 338% Total TV uplift driven largely by Australians watching on SBS On Demand. The other seven episodes have also had significant uplifts of between 132% and 281% respectively. See breakdown below.
  • The Total TV audience for episode one now stands at 1.29m (when taking into account both SBS On Demand and 28 Day Timeshift) and remains SBS’s highest rating program for 2023 to date. Episode two and three now at a Total TV audience of 1.26m and 1.16m respectively. Episodes 4, 5, 6 and 7 also continue to grow with Total TV audiences of in excess of 800,000 each and continuing to grow.
  • SBS is also continuing to dominate the 28 Day OzTAM VPM rankings through the success of both Alone Australia as well as Rogue Heroes with the network taking out all eight of the top 10 slots.
  • Linear TV audiences also continue to deliver for SBS. Episode eight of Alone Australia, broadcast last night, had a linear audience of 332,000 (metro: 229,000 reg: 103,000). Since 7.30pm yesterday a further 65,000 viewers have watched this episode on SBS On Demand (Live+VOD) bringing its total audience since 7.30pm last night to 397,000.

More

Alone Australia continues to dominate in Total TV

Five episodes of Alone Australia have now passed the one million viewer mark

SBS continues to dominates digital viewing taking out the top seven spots in OzTAM 28 Day VPM rankings

• Audiences numbers continue to build with the first five episodes of Alone Australia having now all passed the 1 million viewer mark driven largely by the show’s incredible success on SBS On Demand with almost half the audience coming from online.
  • In the two months since the debut of Alone Australia the first episode of the show has seen an incredible 347% Total TV uplift driven largely by Australians watching on SBS On Demand. The other eight episodes have also had significant uplifts of between 148% and 288% respectively. See breakdown below.
  • The Total TV audience for episode one now stands at 1.33m (when taking into account both SBS On Demand and 28 Day Timeshift) and remains SBS’s highest rating program for 2023 to date. Episode two to five are now at a Total TV audience of between 1.15m and 1.28m. Episodes 6, 7 and 8 also continue to grow with Total TV audiences of in excess of 861,000 each.
  • SBS is also continuing to dominate the 28 Day OzTAM VPM rankings through the success of both Alone Australia as well as Rogue Heroes with the network taking out an incredible seven of the top 10 slots.
  • Linear TV audiences also continue to be strong for the show. Episode nine of Alone Australia, broadcast last night, had a linear audience of 315,000 (metro: 203,000 reg: 112,000). Since 7.30pm yesterday a further 74,000 viewers have watched this episode on SBS On Demand (Live+VOD) bringing its total audience to date to 389,000.

More:

Hooked on this show, binged all available episodes while I was off sick last week and watched the new episode today from last night.

I wonder if they’ll continue to use the same location for subsequent seasons or try and mix it up with different conditions etc.

I was very surprised how quickly the numbers dwindled in the first and second eeek, definitely not an easy thing to do but would’ve thought they’d have more people would’ve stuck around tbh.

Can’t wait for the two final eps and reunion next week!

1 Like

Result of final.

1 Like

I wonder if one of the commercial networks will try steal the rights to this program for next year given its success.

Well, how’s the Summit going? lol

1 Like

It has veen a success for SBS. I’m hoping it stays with them. Similar shows like The Summit on Nine is doing okay-ish in their new run episodes (not so much in their dozen repeats this week though).

Just a reminder that the Reunion Special is on tonight at 7.30pm. And is hosted by Amanda Kellar.

After 67 days in the remote Tasmanian wilderness, the inaugural winner of hit SBS series Alone Australia has been revealed

Rewilding facilitator Gina Chick has become the first ever winner of Alone Australia after surviving 67 days in the remote wilds of Western Tasmania/ lutruwita. Completely isolated, stripped of modern possessions, contact and comforts, while challenged by the merciless forces of nature, hunger, and loneliness, the 52-year-old outlasted nine other participants to win the life-changing prize of $250,000.

Gina said: “Coming into this experience, I said the Gina who walked in would not be the Gina that walked out. I left more windswept, more grateful, more in love than I’ve ever been in my life.

“For me, it was never about winning the competition. My focus was on solving my needs every day. I’m not an expert survivalist, but what I’ve found is that I can let my instincts and the land teach me what I needed to know. I really wanted to show that there is a way of being at home in the wild. There’s a way of connecting with an ancestral way of being that isn’t about dominating nature, or about having all the bells and whistles and tricks. I want to thank the palawa for the tens of thousands of years they’ve lived in harmony with this country, leaving footprints for me to follow.”

Ahead of the double episode finale on Wednesday 24 May, only three participants remained – vet and bush regenerator Michael, solo adventurist Mike and Gina. In episode 10, the penultimate episode, Michael took a massive risk. Unable to catch fish or mammals at his campsite, he burnt his remaining energy to move to a new location. But on day 30, the lack of food and time away from his family became too much and saw him tapping out. *“*I just want to go home to my family healthy, and know that emotionally, I am done. I need them,” he said.

In the final episode, after 50 days, only Mike and Gina remained. They had no idea how many others were left, let alone that they were the final two. The biggest storm of the season hit both camps hard, but for Mike, the winds of change were just around the corner.

Mike’s falling blood pressure became a major concern after a medical check on day 64. Low blood pressure can starve the organs of oxygen and can be a sign of deteriorating health. If left untreated this can lead to organ failure. Following the medical check, Mike was extracted by the medical team.

“I feel really disappointed. Winning was very important to me for many reasons. I wanted to bring the money home for our family,” he said. “But I could not have tried any harder.”

After Gina passed her medical check on day 67, her best friend Lee gave her the surprise of a lifetime, revealing that she had won. Gina is the oldest of the ten and Alone Australia now holds the record for the longest with only two participants remaining in the history of the franchise with Mike and Gina surviving 34 days longer than Michael.

As the season comes to an end, Alone Australia continues to dominate in total TV audiences, with five episodes now surpassing the one million viewer mark. The series also continues to dominate digital viewing taking out the top four slots in OzTAM 28 Day VPM rankings.

Kathryn Fink SBS’s Director of Television said: “Well done to Gina on surviving months alone in such a harsh environment, while inspiring so many around the country. We laughed and cried following her incredible journey, as well as those of the other courageous participants. Alone Australia has really captured the public imagination. It’s not only SBS’s highest rating series to date in 2023, but also our most successful ever original commission, in terms of total consumption. More than half of the episodes have now had a Total TV audience of more than one million viewers, with much of that being driven by SBS On Demand. The hit series demonstrates the strong shift to the multiplatform on-demand world that television is increasingly moving to.

“This is such a unique, multi-faceted and compelling show, and in an era where the battle for capturing the attention of audiences with new formats is so fierce, SBS is incredibly proud of how Alone Australia is proving to be a standout new hit series for Australian audiences.”

ITV Studios Australia CEO and Managing Director David Mott said: **“**My congratulations to Gina and to all our wonderful cast. ITV Studios is thrilled to have created a series that has redefined what success looks like in this multi-platform world we live in. My thanks to our passionate production team, format owners A&E and the unwavering support of SBS.”

Off the back of this success, SBS released a special one-hour reunion program Alone Australia: The Reunion. Hosted by Amanda Keller OAM, the entire cast are reunited for the first time since they were dropped in the remote wilds of Western Tasmania/ lutruwita to discuss their experiences and reveal never-before-seen footage*.* Stream now on SBS On Demand or tune into SBS on Thursday 25 May at 7.30pm.

Alone Australia is an A&E Network format and ITV Studios Australia production for SBS.

All 11 episodes of Alone A ustralia and Alone Australia: The Reunion are now streaming exclusively on SBS and SBS On Demand. Alone Australia: The Reunion airs on Thursday 25 May at 7.30pm on SBS.

1 Like

Although Alone Australia has finished, an SBS spokeswoman told The New Daily it was “currently exploring the possibility of a second season” after the first season was the network’s highest-rating series so far in 2023.

The spokeswoman said SBS and production partner ITV Studios Australia were looking at a second season but had “no further information to share at this stage”.

The most successful original commission in SBS history

Alone Australia has now secured its place as SBS’s most watched ever original production In terms of total consumption.

Alone Australia has redefined the model for Total TV in Australia with a broad appeal TV show, being driven by on demand BVOD viewing, consistently going to No.1 among the key advertising demo of 25-54s in seven day viewing.

Six episodes of Alone Australia have now passed the one million viewer mark.

SBS continues to dominates Australian digital TV viewing taking out seven of the top 10 spots in OzTAM 28 Day VPM rankings.

• With last night’s finale seeing rewilding facilitator Gina Chick take out the first series of Alone Australia, the program has delivered for SBS its most watched original production, in terms of total consumption.
  • Audience numbers continue to build with the first six episodes of Alone Australia passing the 1 million viewer mark driven largely by the show’s incredible success on SBS On Demand with a significant portion of the audience coming from online streaming.
  • Alone Australia has also been a significant commercial success redefining the model for Total TV in Australia with a broad appeal TV show where BVOD viewing outstripped overnight linear viewing and with the show consistently going to No.1 among the key advertising demo of 25-54s in seven day viewing.
  • Commenting on the tremendous success of the series Kathryn Fink SBS’s Director of Television said: “Alone Australia has really captured the public imagination. It’s not only SBS’s highest rating series to date in 2023, but also our most successful ever original commission, in terms of total consumption. More than half of the episodes have now had a Total TV audience of more than one million viewers, with much of that being driven by SBS On Demand. The hit series demonstrates the strong shift to the multiplatform on-demand world that television is increasingly moving to.”
  • In the two months since the debut of Alone Australia the first episode of the show has seen an incredible 356% Total TV uplift driven largely by Australians watching on SBS On Demand. The other nine episodes have also had significant uplifts of between 157% and 294% respectively. See breakdown below.
  • The Total TV audience for episode one now stands at 1.35m (when taking into account both SBS On Demand and 28 Day Timeshift) and remains SBS’s highest rating program for 2023 to date. Episode two to six are now at a Total TV audience of between 1.09m and 1.30m. Episodes 7, 8 and 9 also continue to grow with Total TV audiences of in excess of 853,000 each.
  • Since the launch of the series two months, a quarter of all new accounts on SBS On Demand have watched Alone Australia. And, we have seen one million consumption hours added so far to the Alone franchise after users have watched the local version.
  • SBS is also continuing to dominate the 28 Day OzTAM VPM rankings through the success of both Alone Australia as well as Rogue Heroes with the network taking out an incredible seven of the top 10 slots.
  • Linear TV audiences also continue to be strong for the show. Episodes 10 and 11 of Alone Australia, broadcast last night, had a linear audience of 370,000 (metro: 231,000 reg: 139,000) and 391,000 (metro: 258,000 reg: 133,000) respectively. Since 7.30pm yesterday a further 79,000 and 45,000 viewers respectively have watched these episode on SBS On Demand (Live+VOD) bringing its total audience to date to 448,000 and 436,000.
  • The Alone Australia reunion, hosted by Amanda Keller, which was available solely on SBS On Demand has had 25,000 people view it since it was made available online last night.
  • Last night SBS had a metro linear share of 7.0% on its primary channel and 10.9% network share in total people.
  • Alone Australia is an A&E Network format and ITV Studios Australia production for SBS.

More

Alone Australia finale soars driven by On Demand viewing

Alone Australia, which last week secured its place as SBS’s most watched ever original production, has gone to new heights with the latest Total TV numbers showing how all episodes for the season are now over 850,000 viewers.

The finale episode is currently at a Total TV audience of 951,000 while seven episodes of Alone Australia have now passed the one million viewer mark.

The Alone Australia reunion, hosted by Amanda Keller, which was first aired SBS On Demand has now been watched by more than 200,000 people online and was watched by 185,000 on Thursday night when it aired on linear TV .

Alone Australia has again gone to the no.1 in Total TV for most watched show among the key advertising demo of 25-54s for last week with 451,000 ahead of its competitors in the timeslot.

SBS continues to dominates Australian digital TV viewing taking out eight of the top 10 spots

• With last week’s finale seeing rewilding facilitator Gina Chick take out the first series of Alone Australia, the program finale has drawn more than 951,000 viewers.
  • The Alone Australia reunion, hosted by Amanda Keller, which first aired on SBS On Demand has had 202,000 people view it online since it was made available. A further 185,000 viewers watched it on Thursday when it aired on the SBS main channel bringing its Total TV audience to 387,000.
  • Alone Australia, which is now SBS’s most watched original production, in terms of total consumption has seven episodes of Alone Australia which have passed the 1 million viewer mark driven largely by the show’s incredible success on SBS On Demand with a significant portion of the audience coming from online streaming.
  • In the two or months since the debut of Alone Australia the first episode of the show has seen an incredible 370% Total TV uplift driven largely by Australians watching on SBS On Demand. The other ten episodes have also had significant uplifts of between 134% and 299% respectively. See breakdown below.
  • The Total TV audience for episode one now stands at 1.40m (when taking into account both SBS On Demand and 28 Day Timeshift) and remains SBS’s highest rating program for 2023 to date. Episode two to seven are now at a Total TV audience of between 1.07m and 1.34m. Episodes 8, 9, 10 and 11 also continue to grow with Total TV audiences of in excess of 863,000 each.
  • Since the launch of the series two months, a quarter of all new accounts on SBS On Demand have watched Alone Australia. And, we have seen more than one million consumption hours added so far to the Alone franchise after users have watched the local version.
  • SBS is also continuing to dominate the 28 Day OzTAM VPM rankings through the success of both Alone Australia as well as Rogue Heroes with the network taking out an incredible eight of the top 10 slots.
2 Likes
1 Like

Season 1 winner Gina Chick will feature in the new season premiere of Australian Story on ABC TV on August 28.