After-school game shows

Pyramid aired on Nine

Did anyone forget about Move It on 9Go! here?

Pyramid looks like Celebrity Name Game for kids!

5 Likes

Now You See It was one of the first kids game shows I’ve seen as I studied through high school. It was produced by a small company called Fremantle International Productions (which I thought at the time was based at Fremantle in WA!). That company eventually became global production giant Fremantle.

1 Like

As a kid:

• watched A*mazing (That was a TVW Perth production being hosted by James Sherry)
  • Challenger (Nine Queensland)
  • Wipeout hosted by Tony Johnston
  • pick your face (Was a NWS9 Adelaide production hosted by Angus Smallwood)
  • Go Go Stop (was produced via Chanel Seven Sydney hosted by Jesse Tobin)
  • It’s academic (TVW7 has a local version for Perth hosted by Jeff Newman. It ended in 2002 (IIRC). The It’s Academic show returned to 2005 where it was produced via Channel 7 Sydney, hosted by Simon Reeve) the show had a new set with its revival of the show.

My favourite after school game show in the 2000s was Pick your fave because I liked to identify the faces of the people. As well as this the Pick your Face theme song was a good song to listen to

4 Likes

It was filmed in Perth between 1997 and 1998 in the TVW-7 Perth studios

Answering my on question.

I just saw one on 7flix this morning, called Matchit. So they are still in production, just hidden away on the multichannels.

Thank you for this thread - jeez it’s given some good memories. Always loved Double Dare and A*mazing. Also remember Wombat with Agro. We had some good kid shows back in the day.

A*Mazing used to be from produced from Brisbane, but then was moved to Perth in 1996 and continued its run until 1998.

As well as this, I used to watch a bit of Download on Channel Nine after coming home from school. Download was a Nine Brisbane Production.

You’ll find the majority of children’s game show programming for the 7 & 9 Networks from the 90’s were made in Brisbane.

The first cab off the rank was Now You See It in 1985 made at BTQ7. These games shows continued into the late 90’s. Other non games shows produced from Brisbane were Wombat, Rewind, The Super Saturday/Sunday Show and of course Agro’s Carton Connection.

QTQ9 produced the majority of the networks games shows in the 90’s into the the noughties. Previously NWS9 let the pack with kid’s shows in the 80’s.

Sadly, both Brisbane studios are only full of memories and cobwebs today.

5 Likes

There was one notable TV presenter that appeared on Challenger. Former Today Show presenter, Sylvia Jeffreys appeared on the show as a 12 year old person back in 1998.

4 Likes

Maybe children’s game shows, but GTV9 produced the networks main game shows throughout the 80 and 90s.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the thread we are talking about - After-school games shows is it not?

2 Likes

Maybe it’s where I was from - does anyone remember C’mon Kids? Maybe not a game show but in response to Wombat. The theme song still haunts me to this day.

1 Like

One of my favorite shows as a kid. Produced out of Channel 9 Adelaide. Winky Dink was the stock standard puppet that had to be on shows like this.

They really don’t make kids shows like they use to. I guess in this day and age they wouldn’t get away with those shows given the multitude of options. Growing up we only had the 5 stations.

5 Likes

They were good days. Would love to be back in them. The competitions were the best, unless you were from Adelaide where you had to photocopy receipts to be part of them. No one from Adelaide won competitions.

Kitchen whiz was another kids game show on Nine. This show was produced from Nine Queensland studios. Beau Walker was host of the show

A*mazing was the best kids game show, I remember aways every day (apart from Saturday & Sunday of course) returning home from primary school, turning the TV in the lounge room on to Prime TV at 4pm & watching the show as I was getting undressed.

2 Likes

These days they probably wouldn’t get away with calling a show C’mon Kids.

1 Like

Would most likely be a religious program