After-school game shows

Oh you know 10 would jump on that. They’re still airing Mass for You at Home.

Mind Twist was another Children’s game shows that aired on TEN in 1992-93 hosted by Maynard F# Crabbes. If I Remember correctly, that was an afternoon kids quiz show.
Blockbusters was also an Australian children’s game show aired on Channel 7 hosted by Michael Pope in 1991-1994. It was produced by Fremantle.

The 80’s and 90’s were ripe for afternoon kids game shows.

1 Like

Who remembers the kids show “Wipeout” that aired on Seven, weekday afternoons at 4:00pm? Note: This is NOT the stunt show that aired on Nine in the noughties.

Here is a typical episode:

In another I remember there was a round with the topic “Not the Front Road Girls” where they had to identify songs by the Backstreet Boys.

1 Like

I remembered this children’s quiz show back when I was a little child back then. Each round, the screen reveal 16 possibilities. Out of 16 answers, 12 of them are correct. if a person gets the answer wrong, the score resets to zero. After 2 rounds, the person with the lowest score gets eliminated. In Round 3, they reveal 12 possible answers. 8 of them are correct. This was repeated in Rounds 4 and 5. THe person with the highest score advances to the final round. During the final round, the screen reveals 12 answers. Out of 12 answers 6 of them are correct. The contestant must get 6 answers correct in 1 minute.
I missed this show so much. Tony Johnston was a great host on this show.

1 Like

He later went on to become the weatherman on Seven News Brisbane, after which there was no weather presenter for a brief period before Talitha Cummins was hired in 2005.

It was filmed at BTQ. Students from my primary school were on it and Download (which was on 9 and filmed at QTQ). From memory you had to do a pre entry quiz and the top students got thru to filming.

1 Like

Would that have been at the Mount Coot-tha studios?

I also remember another show, A*Mazing, which first started production in Brisbane before shifting to Perth in its final years.

Yep in the Mt Coot-tha studios :+1:

1 Like

I wonder what the studio space used by Wipeout is now used by. Could possibly be the current news studio, or an expansion of the newsroom.

Speaking of A*Mazing, a few years ago James Sherry was hoping to bring the show back.

1 Like

Sorry to butt in here but I grew up with the “stunt show” you’re thinking of when I was younger. Channel Nine had first-run rights to the first three seasons (and also aired a single-season Australian version, with one episode (the one with the guy doing backflips on the Big Balls) later rerun during the second season, although modified) and also had the original broadcasting rights to the UK version (Total Wipeout). 7mate later picked up rerun rights for the first three seasons (with the internationally-broadcast AU episode included) and the ABC have the (current?) rights to Total Wipeout due to being a BBC program.

2 Likes

Nothing except a blue screen for the Lotto and anytime they need a blue screen. That’s it.

The news studio is quite large and in it’s heyday could fit 3 sets. The newsroom is upstairs just above the news studio.

3 Likes

Remember game show Go Go Stop?

Does anyone know why host James Tobin was credited as Jesse Tobin? Was Jesse his middle name or something like that?

1 Like

An episode of Go Go Stop courtesy of MrSimplesimon1987.

5 Likes

He was sometimes called “Jesse” before becoming “James”

3 Likes

Probably a nickname.

As for Go Go Stop, back when it was airing the show looked somewhat modern and cutting edge but rather cheesy and dated when viewed through modern eyes!

4 Likes

That and It’s Academic (hosted by another Weekend Sunrise personality in Simon Reeve) served as replacements after The Big Arvo was axed in mid-2005, IIRC.

2 Likes

Watched a lot of these in the late-90s into the mid-00s before I hit my teens. A*mazing was easily the best of the bunch followed by Time Masters. I think I am one of the few of my generation who isn’t fond or nostalgic for Go-Go Stop, I watched it but it pails in comparison to many of the other shows that came before it.

6 Likes

C’mon Kids

Absolutley hilarious Winky Dink trying to ask a girl out on a date from 11:12 onwards.

3 Likes