AFLW

So they are tanking?

1 Like

Ruby Sargent Wilson who was the Swans first ever player AFLW player selected on their list, debuted on Sunday afternoon against the Kangas. Straight out of the Academy as well. She played really well accumulating 13 possessions.

I think the Swans (and I’m a Swans supporter), are trying to give as many players experience as possilbe to gauge their ability. It was predicted before the season started that they were probably going to finish on the bottom.

Just have to be patient. As fans we just have to be patient. Montana Ham will be a good player, and will Sofia Hurley. It was just a shame they couldnt land a bit more experience they were chasing. For example Ash Riddell from Kangas. They are seriously undersized in the backline. On Sunday (and I went to the game) Tahlia Randall, Emma King and Jasmine Garner monstered the Swans defenders.

3 Likes

That’s a good question - I don’t think it’s something they’re intending to do (tank) and probably something that you need to have a different way of determining from the men’s game.

It’s an approach that is somewhat fraught with danger and really needs everyone involved within the club (both on and off the field) to buy into how they’re going about it (continually losing and by such large margins can be demoralising) but I have confidence that the Swans have the people to do it. If it helps build a real, strong team culture, then it may prove in coming years to be have been a worthwhile endeavour.

Success was never going to come easily or quickly and everyone needs to view it with a longer-term focus, but that will also rely on things off-field happening to make sure that it can happen. I’m not sold that the pathways to the top level are particularly great and could be a significant limiter in that regard

1 Like

Kind of but without doing it for a draft position or anything like that.

Bit of angst over the timing and venue for the Richmond vs North semi final, due to be played on Saturday Afternoon at the same time as the Matildas vs Sweden and at Punt Road where only 2000 can squeeze in.

1 Like

Interesting to see the discussion on Twitter. Definitely a bad call from the AFL not to move the game to IKON or Marvel.

Looks like Richmond wanted it at their home ground, from an article I saw

Timing clashes are something that people are going to have to get used to if we want women’s sport to grow - it’s simply not practical to continue to carve out large chunks of time so single events can be held without competition. It would be nice to avoid larger clashes but sometimes it’s just not feasible

Not sure what to make of the venue issue - a lot of people complaining are saying that the AFL wouldn’t do this in the men’s comp, but there are a lot of things that the AFL does differently between the two comps. That said this year has been particularly difficult for venues with a number of larger venues being unavailable due to other commitments

I’m still not convinced that the AFL have found the right time to play the AFLW either

1 Like

Starting a few weeks before the Men’s season and then running through to a Grand Final in the Men’s pre-finals bye would be the best in my opinion. A full home and away season, same as the Men’s, maybe minus Magic Round.

1 Like

Not a bad idea, but it means some players won’t be able to play for their AFLW teams and state-based competitions (as their seasons overlap), unless their state-based team get affiliated with an AFLW team.

1 Like

What would they want to play for? State or AFL?

Start Round 16 of Men’s AFL and Finish Home and Away Season during bye round between Round 24 and Finals of Men’s AFL. Finals run at the same time as the Men’s AFL competition with the AFLW Grand Final played as a curtain raiser to the Men’s AFL Grand Final on the MCG.

The problem with that is what we see in the NRLW - an empty ground.
You could play them on the same day though, with a ‘stay after and watch the Men’ thing.

1 Like

That would absolutely suck. The teams playing would rarely match up, and can’t imagine many AFLW fans would get access to their games.

The AFLW have a strength in their accessibility, cheaper ticket prices and local grounds make it much more family friendly than the men’s league. Having finals at neutral venues to be side by side with the men’s as curtain raisers will kill the league’s strengths.

There was some bad scheduling this season, but it was done on the run and the World Cup limited venues, having a year to plan should improve things a lot.

They should start earlier, so they can get to 17 rounds, but finals in clear space is good.

2 Likes

We saw that with Dees vs North game at mcg before the Dees v Swans final. North fans missed out/ didn’t want to pay the AFL final ticket prices

2 Likes
3 Likes

7NEWS reporter Mitch Cleary revealed the AFL issued the star Tiger with a ‘please explain’ notice after Channel 7 cameras picked up the crude message during the live broadcast of the game.

Hosking, who played the game with both shoulders strapped, had a stack of different words written on the strapping, but it was the “Kill Bitches” comment on her right shoulder that drew the ire of the AFL.

The AFL confirmed in a statement to 7NEWS that Hosking had escaped punishment for the “offensive language.”

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1592779721212715008

Jeez chill out. This is not the first time a player has written swear words on their tape!

The AFL this afternoon revealed the potential venues for the season 7 grand final on Sunday afternoon, November 27.

Brisbane finished atop the ladder after the home and away season, and the club’s new base at Brighton Homes Arena in Springfield will host the match if the Lions beat Adelaide on Friday night.

If the Lions lose and second-placed Melbourne beats North Melbourne on Saturday afternoon, the Grand Final will be played at Marvel Stadium.

Should both the Lions and Demons lose their respective preliminary finals, third-placed Adelaide will host at Hisense Stadium (Richmond Oval) in South Australia.

1 Like

This is woeful from Adelaide…

1 Like