AFL

Please no, not that again!

2 Likes

What a period of footy domination that was!

Starting way back in 2009 with the famous Jimmy Bartel after the siren ā€˜behindā€™, called by Kelli Underwood.

Actually that might have been the 2nd game

Sydney assistant coach Stuart Dew will be the new Gold Coast Suns coach after a hastily arranged board meeting tonight. Dew, who played for Port Adelaide and Hawthorn (and was a member of the Hawksā€™ 2008 premiership team), just beat Carlton assistant coach John Barker to the role. It has also been mentioned on Seven News presenters thread as Dewā€™s wife is weather presenter Sarah Cumming.

1 Like

Yeah that was the second game.

The 1st was the 2008 GF rematch where we nearly made a remarkable comeback. At one stage trailing the Cats by 43 points early on in the final quarter it looked like the Cats would end up smashing us. We got within 7 points with a few minutes to go but Geelong where able to hold us out.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2009/091020090327.html

1 Like

:open_mouth:

With Essendon after so many new players I am hoping the clubs with the players play hard ball with them just like Essendon do with other clubs. I am still fuming over how they treated the Paddy Ryder situation.

1 Like

Paddy wasnā€™t loyal, fairness where itā€™s due.

Why does he need to be loyal? He was screwed over by Essendon and wanted a fresh start. No loyalty is needed in the football. He wasnā€™t chasing extra money or anything clearly just wanted a fresh start.

Most stayed.

Bad look

Its football people move clubs. He was obviously hurt by it and clearly flat after the scandal. Donā€™t blame or the others for leaving at all.

Port Adelaide biggest winners of this trade. For sure.

Port Power massive winners. Taking two free agents their former clubs couldnā€™t wait to show the door, getting in Jack Watts (spent time at Casey in 2017). Gave away a free agent they didnā€™t want and two fringe players.
Zzzzzzzzzz

Haha typical crows supporter. Im obviously a port supporter and a little biased but I think they are all big wins for them. Free agents that the clubs were happy to move on but geelong didnā€™t want motlop to leave. They offered him another contract. Jack Watts is a better player than many think and Tom Rockcliff isba former captain. Great wins for giving up pick 31.

Fringe players? Impey barely got 12 possessions a game. Ah Chee only played a handful of games in 2017.

I donā€™t agree with giving up a first round pick for Motlop but the other trades have been excellent ones, especially Rockliff.

Port didnā€™t give up a first rounder for Motlop. He was a restricted free agent. Geelong got a compensation of pick 19. I would say this was conveniently given to get Ablett over the line.

As for the Lever trade I think the crows were the winners on that one. Two first round picks, one being in the big draft for next year, is the big win for the crows. Their backline is quite strong and they have a lot of players knocking at the door to take Leverā€™s spot.

My mistakeā€¦ still have to say pick 19 is extremely generous.

1 Like

Totally agree. Hence why many are asking how the compensation works? Port only offered a 4 year contract at around 2 mill for the who time. Rockcliff is on much more than that apparently. I donā€™t understand it but I wonder if the AFL has done it to help get the Ablett deal done.

1 Like

Port are the clear winners at this point from this yearā€™s trade period for mine. They have grabbed three gun players in Rockliff, Watts and Motlop as a RFA (with Geelong receiving an end of first-round compo - no.19) which are pretty great pickups for them. They also able to offload inconsistent players in Ah Chee to West Coast and Impey to Hawthorn.

1 Like

Adelaide giving up 2 first round draft picks for Gibbs seems a lot considering he is 29 next year. Considering Port got a first round pick for pick 31, who is younger and Adelaide getting one who is older for two first round draft picks seems to be a bit harsh. But if they win a flag in the next 2-3 years its a win.

Surprise Surprise the pick used to get Garry Ablett was the pick Geelong received for Steven Motlop.

Telstra is now offering refunds to subscribers of AFL Live Pass after the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission found the telco did not clearly notify customers after restricting the viewing size of its live AFL streaming app. During the 2016 season, Telstra had allowed customers to live stream AFL matches in full-screen size on their tablets. In 2017, it began restricting the viewing size to 7 inches as part of its new six-year digital rights deal with the AFL, but according to the ACCC, the app was still being advertised on the AFL website with images of matches appearing full-screen on tablets. The refund form is now available on the Telstra website until March 22 next year.

1 Like