AFL

Collingwood CEO Mark Anderson had announced that the Queen’s birthday clash against Melbourne would be Buckley’s last game in charge as senior coach.

Any guesses on who will take over as coach?

If anything, one of the current assistant coaches Robert Harvey or Brenton Sanderson can take over as interim coach for the remainder of the 2021 season with a new coach appointed for the beginning of 2022.

More like Buckley was pushed rather than resigning

1 Like

I think Brenton Sanderson will be interim coach as he has previous experience as senior coach (he took charge of Adelaide Crows from 2012 to 2014).

1 Like

Nope. Buckley will have seen the writing on the wall - if Korda was ousted as president Bucks was a goner.

Harvey will get the acting coach role almost certainly.

1 Like

I think it will either be one of Ross Lyon, Sam Mitchell, Alistair Clarkson, or a roughy in Lisa Alexander. Hope it is Mark Williams though.

Robert Harvey is caretaker coach, with Brenton senior assistant.

1 Like

4 Likes

Current Sportsbet market for COLLINGWOOD COACH:

Samuel Mitchell $5 (Current Hawthorn Assistant)
Robert Harvey $5.50 (Caretaker Collingwood Coach)
Ross Lyon $7 (Former Fremantle and St Kilda Coach)
Michael Voss $7.50 (Former Lions Coach, Current Port Adelaide Assistant)
Adam Kingsley $11.00 (Current Richmond Assistant)
Scott Burns $13 (Current Adelaide Assistant)
Lenny Hayes $15 (Former GWS Assistant)
Simon Lloyd $15 (Current Geelong GM of Football)
Daniel Giansiracusa $17 (Current Essendon Assistant)
Adam Yze $18 (Current Melbourne Assistant)
Blake Caracella $18 (Current Essendon Assistant)
Brenton Sanderson $18 (Current Collingwood Assistant)
Danny Daly $21 (Current Brisbane GM Football)
Dean Solomon $21 (Former Gold Coast Assistant)
Jarrad Schofield $21 (Current Port Adelaide Assistant)
Jaymie Graham $21 (Current West Coast Assistant)
Matthew Knights $21 (Current Geelong Assistant)
Nigel Lappin $21 (Current Geelong Assistant)
Paul Roos $21 (Current North Melbourne Coaching Mentor)
Steven King $23 (Current Bulldogs Assistant)
Chris Scott $26 (Current Geelong Assistant)
Damian Carroll $26 (Current Collingwood Assistant)
Hayden Skipworth $26 (Current Collingwood Assistant)
John Barker $26 (Former Carlton Assistant)
Brad Scott $34 (Former North Melbourne Coach)
Mark Williams $34 (Current Melbourne Assistant)
Anthony Rocca $41 (Current North Melbourne Assistant)

*Coach

Also out of that list, Ross Lyon looks most likely. Gotta be a tried and tested coach.

YES PLEASE!!! Rebuilding team. Give him the keys to the city and and all the time in the world (obvs not 10 years but a bit of security, similar to Noble at North) to develop into a premiership coach at the Pies.

Yes, would be my second choice behind Sam Mitchell.

Would be great, but can’t see him coming back into coaching just yet.

(I’m a Pies fan)

Of all days, today was meant to be all about the opening SOO at the MCG… Now looks what’s unfolded. Such strange events that have lead to all this.

2 Likes

That’s South Australia for you, ruining everything.

2 Likes

Mark Williams needs another shot at the top spot somewhere!

1 Like

Nathan Buckley’s resignation gets extensive coverage in today’s Herald Sun, even pushing the easing of COVID restrictions in Melbourne to page 10. Buckley is mentioned on today’s front page, then there are six pages of news and analysis from page 4 to 9 (page 2 to 3 are Harvey Norman ads), an editorial and an Andrew Bolt column on page 24, a Mark Knight cartoon on page 25, then the last seven pages of the paper including the back page.

3 Likes

This isn’t surprising… Collingwood are the biggest club in the country and Nathan Buckley is one of the biggest names in the sport

1 Like

Yep, I imagine had it been any other team, we wouldn’t see this level of coverage.

1 Like

Surely it can’t happen two years in a row…

2 Likes

As I said in the thread last year - no state/stadium can guarantee crowds. WA just a few rounds back had about a day’s notice on going from a full derby at Optus to no crowd.

Victoria might have been unlucky, but it’s also hosted the event with the largest crowd in the country this year. You just can’t know until the day comes.

3 Likes