AFL

How else can I watch AFL on the TV? Would a smart tv be able to play an AFL live pass?

[quote=“JohnsonTV, post:195, topic:803, full:true”]
Thoughts on how your club fare in the fixture?[/quote]Very tough first two months with 5 of first 9 games against finalists from this year (not including an expected much-improved St. Kilda, the first 6 will be tough going indeed). But I’m not the least bit surprised considering the rubbish they’ve dished up the last few years.

[quote=“bacco007, post:198, topic:803, full:true”]
looks like 11 less games on FTA in 2017 - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-27/fewer-games-on-freetoair-tv-in-2017
[/quote]Give it another 5-10 (maybe even sooner) years and most of it will be on Pay. Then viewers will have no choice but to sign up. :disappointed:

Looks like a tough draw for the Hawks again even though we have a relatively easy start to 2017.

Give it 5-10 and litigation lawyers and medical experts plus commentators championing causes for the minority would want to ban the sport for being barbaric…

As for the draw, probably going to attend more away games than home games but a tentative schedule may look like this. A lot depends on finances and what is left over given I have to save for the South Africa trip in June (See Random Thread for details).

ROUND 4: North vs BULLDOGS (Docklands, pending suitable flight to get me to the ground in time), Melbourne vs Fremantle (MCG), Carlton vs Gold Coast (Docklands, Saturday Double Header, will probably depart on the Sunday to save cash on the return flight)
ROUND 12: Sydney vs BULLDOGS (SCG, if this was later in the weekend I wouldn’t have gone but now I can get a flight back from Durban to Sydney rather than Brisbane to see this)
ROUND 15: Gold Coast vs North Melbourne (Carrara, Gold Coast Marathon weekend)
ROUND 18: BULLDOGS vs Gold Coast (Cairns, probably the last hurrah for us up there with Ballarat being completed for later in the season)
ROUND 20: Brisbane vs BULLDOGS (Gabba, if the Old Man pays for game tix and a bed for the night! He’s a Lions man, has been since they were the Bears)
ROUND 21: BULLDOGS vs Giants (Docklands, pending finances and work leave arrangements), Sydney vs Fremantle (SCG, pending suitable flight landing in time, probable City2Surf weekend, NRL game on the Sunday after C2S if scheduled in Sydney)
ROUND 23: West Coast vs Adelaide (Subiaco, pending time of game, flight time, work leave and availability of game ticket given this may well be the last game ever at Subiaco if neither Perth side qualifies for a home final, this is also Perth City to Surf weekend which is why I’m planning to be there)
GRAND FINAL (If BULLDOGS make it again!)

3 Likes

I’ll probably attend most of the local games if I can. And hopefully I’ll be able to attend a few interstate games like previous years.

I know I’ve said this previous years, but having a thorough look at the full draw now, the draw for next year is very average.

I am pleasantly surpised with Ports fixture. Playing Collingwood, West Coast, Adelaide, Brisbane and Gold Coast twice. Some great away games. I try to get to the SCG when Port play sydney, Western Bulldogs in Ballarat and Gold Coast in Shanghai. All away games I plan on attending. I have a 3 month Europe trip planned between May-August so might not get to as many games as I would have liked.

Brisbane, Gold Coast and Collingwood twice. There’s potentially 6 easy wins for your team. :wink:

[quote=“turdall, post:206, topic:803, full:true”]
I have a 3 month Europe trip planned between May-August so might not get to as many games as I would have liked.[/quote]That sounds great. Where abouts exactly (if you don’t mind me asking of course)? I’ve only traveled over there once before (earlier this year actually). :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a wedding to attend in July in Wales. So plan to go to the Port game in china and then make my way to Barcelona in Spain. I have some free accomodation there. Then I will plan my trips from there. I have been to most parts of Europe so Im not sure where I will go yet but I didnt get to Germany so that is definitely on the list.

1 Like

Jobe Watson will hand back his Bronwlow Medal he won in 2012 therefore making Sam Mitchell and Trent Cotchin the joint winners.

1 Like

I really disagree with this decision.

Well I definitely agree with the decision as it protects the “fairest” part of award. I know it wasn’t his fault but Watson did have a considerable advantage to his peers during the 2012 season.

Well that has been disputed in court. It is an illicit drug but there is no proof it is performance enhancing. But anyway… I understand the decision and it is obviously the correct decision in terms of the fact they were found guilty. I just don’t agree with it and the process of the whole saga. But I don’t understand the decision.

I think after all these years the 2012 Brownlow should be null and void. Could be wrong, but I doubt Sam or Trent would accept or care about it now. Hell, it’s been that long now one of them won’t even be playing for the club he ‘won’ it under. Just shows how ridiculously long this saga has been going on for. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

As a passionate Bombers supporter, glad it’s finally over (well, for us anyway) :slight_smile:

Jobe did the right thing & his position had become clear, the AFL will be relieved with that.

Now, does the 2012 Brownlow Medal become void or will two be given to Sam Mitchell and Trent Cotchin?

The AFL Commission has decided to award the 2012 Brownlow Medal to Mitchell and Cotchin at a ceremony next month (time and venue to be determined).

1 Like

Would have been best to put an asterisk next to 2012. If I was Mitchell or Cotchin, I wouldn’t want to be declared the winner now; it would be a really hollow “victory”.

That was my first thought too but really it’s not much different to winning by coming second after a player who was ineligible due to suspension. Which is essentially what’s happened here, it’s just taken nearly 5 years to sort out and wasn’t an AFL suspension (even though that came in another year, it was related to that year).

The 2012 medal will always be a tainted regardless of what’s happened years after the debacle in my opinion.

So this was Alister Clarkson’s plan all along in the draft!

Out: Mitchell, Lewis
In: Mitchell Lewis

2 Likes

The Age reported today that Domain was in talks with the AFL to sponsor the new women’s competition, before News Corp (which partly owns REA, Domain’s rival) intervened. The talks were halted and National Australia Bank later came in as the new sponsor. Silly move by News Corp I think.