AFL on Nine

Nine had a heavy Triple M influence. Arguably the best coverage our game has had (up there with Fox Footy, who have ebbed a little since Covid). Was a real shame 9/10 missed out in the latest rights deal (25-31).

2 Likes

The Rex Hunt and BT ‘swap’ in 2010 didn’t last or work very well, the latter remained for quite some years though (although maybe contracted) before returning to TripleM after 3AW did not renew him in somewhat of a shock, was it around 2015?

What happened to TripleM OG Michael Christian, I’m sure he vanished long before his MRO role? And mate Stephen Quartermain. I think apart from Chrisso, Quarters and BT, the other original from the late 90s was Eddie McGuire who did remain until a few years ago, but not on the AFL team, focussing on Fox Footy, until he dropped that too.

And another MMM Footy caller Hamish McLachlan (around 2008?) also went MIA.

1 Like

Sounds like BT had been with Channel Nine since at least 1997, five years before they were to get the AFL broadcasting rights (during which he and BT would normally call the condensed Sunday game which immediately followed the live 1:00pm match):

Courtesy: adelaidecrowsrdabest

2 Likes

IIRC Mathew Campbell called for Fox Footy Channel then Fox Sports and then the first 2 or so years of Fox Footy before joining CrownBet/BetEasy/Sportsbet. He also became a regular part of the early days of Racing.com’s raceday broadcasts during his time with all three companies.
Peter Larkins also held a role on Seven’s Friday Night broadcasts for a short time before being replaced by Rohan White

2 Likes

I think at the time, Seven were saying they wanted to reward those who had stayed loyal to them in that 02-06 period, Cometti being the exception

From memory Sandy Roberts was offered the opportunity to call matches with Bruce, but declined. I don’t know if Cometti had a role or not if Roberts had taken up the offer.

But then you had Schwarz and Watson who were on the payroll already and Olarenshaw (seemed a bit random to me) rounding out the '07 7 team. It copped a lot of criticism.

They had Brereton, Lane/Cometti and Healy initially, but yeah by and large a fairly new team.

To me, Nine always felt like the revolution to Seven’s coverage and Ten was more the evolution.

4 Likes

I think when a new channel starts covering a sport, they generally want their own fresh look, and only take a small number of established hosts/commentators/experts from previous rights holders.

As we saw when Nine got the tennis rights and Seven took the cricket.

4 Likes

When Nine picked up the tennis, they lured Todd Woodbridge and Jim Courier to the network from Seven. And apart from Sam Smith I cannot think of anyone else they poached from two channels down.

Likewise, I don’t think Seven poached any of Nine’s cricket commentators when they picked up that sport in 2018.

2 Likes

I think Seven took Michael Slater from Nine, but I think probably safe to say we won’t ever see him on TV again.

6 Likes

Michael Slater. Not the greatest of decisions in hindsight.

2 Likes

Did a stint on breakfast at RSN for a time.

2 Likes

Who was already presenting sport on Seven News Melbourne, plus other Seven Sport roles including the Australian Open and Olympics, so probably would’ve been a bit much for him, he was also no spring chicken by 2007 either and had been with the network over 30 years by then.

I’d guess Seven might’ve given the HSV-7 news sport gig to someone else if Sandles had said yes to returning to 7AFL, wonder who? Tim Watson likely, some 8 years earlier then when he eventually got it.

Just remembered I think he did one year at 3AW too, also Stephen Quartermain, I feel like it might’ve been 2013

1 Like

Beverly O’Connor was at Seven News presenting sport around the same time AFL returned to Seven, so possibly her.

1 Like

Nah, she stepped down at the start of 2005 (Sandy got the job thereafter), years before Seven got AFL back, think that year’s RCH GFA was one of the last things she did for the station.

Also the period things started to really turn for that newsroom, as well as the entire network, promo team put out a lot of Sydney-style “thanks for making the switch”, flying around the suburbs with reporter grabs and the presenters in the end-tag in that 2004-2009 package.

2 Likes

IIRC, she lasted only one year (2004) after succeeding Jim Wilson. Wonder what Jim did between then and moving to Sydney, though I have an inkling he moved to Brisbane around 2007.

2 Likes

I can’t really recall him having much to do at Seven in the late 2000s and early 2010s, did he leave Seven for a bit? Can’t recall him being at Beijing Olympics or Melbourne Park for example during this time. When he prominently returned on-air, in Sydney, he was featuring regularly on Sunrise IIRC with his late sister Rebecca in a humerus sports segment daily or weekly.

2 Likes

My recollection is that his TV work was mostly restricted to the Seven News Sydney sports presenter role and some radio work at 2GB.

3 Likes

Reporter? As between 2004 and 2012, Seven News Sydney sport presenters IIRC were Matthew White & Nick McArdle > Ben Damon (2004-2008); Alex Cullen & Johanna Griggs (2009-2010) and Tony Squires (2010-2012). Jim Wilson replaced in 2012.

Who read weekends after Griggs stepped down after 2010 but before Jim Wilson (after Mel McLaughlin took over weeknights) prior to 2016? Was it Matt Carmichael?

2 Likes

From what I can recall, Matt Carmichael did weekend sport between 2011-12, and again since June last year, and then Ryan Phelan replaced him for the 2013-16 period before Jim Wilson took weekends.

3 Likes

There was also the 2002-06 period when Nine had the AFL which virtually made it unbeatable in Melbourne, and with 10 also having the sport it meant some painful winters for Seven which would often run third in the local ratings.

Even after Nine lost the AFL, they still ramped up their coverage of the sport by launching Footy Classified and poaching Craig Hutchison (who, IIRC, was part of Seven’s AFL coverage in the 1990s) from Seven.

I also think Garry Lyon (along with Tony Jones and BT) was one of the few personnel from Nine’s AFL commentary team that remained at the network at that time.

6 Likes

Craig Hutchison was indeed part of Seven’s AFL match day broadcasts from memory serving as the main studio host of Saturday Afternoon Football in 2001.

4 Likes