AFL Coverage

James Brayshaw is listed as commentating today’s elimination final between GWS and Western Bulldogs for Triple M alongside Brian Taylor. I wonder if James is doing it in Melbourne or Brisbane studio, as he will also call tonight’s Brisbane v Richmond qualifying final at The Gabba for Seven.

JB isn’t calling. Has barely called all year for Triple M due to his Channel 7 commitments but has done the Rub from various places.
Call team is Taylor, Brown, Carey, Brownless, Flanagan.

2 Likes

As reported on Seven News Melbourne this evening, the Triple M team had to call GWS v Bulldogs from the Melbourne studio after their flight from Melbourne to Sydney was cancelled due to strong wind at Sydney Airport, leading to single runway operation.

Some 3AW and ABC commentators made it to Sydney in time for the first bounce, but not after some flight delays.

1 Like

So Tony Leonard is now the Big Man Who (no longer) Travels By Train?

A moniker given to him by Rex Hunt when he chose to take the train to Sydney to call a match rather than fly.

2 Likes

There’s a tribute “Saturday Rub” program for Danny Frawley going to air midday tomorrow.

Triple M and SEN will carry it in Melbourne but I’d be interested to know where else it airs around Australia especially on regional Triple M stations and other regional stations that normally carry AFL Nation.

When it was announced there was a list of stations that are carrying this on the actual press release…

Will be heard on 1116SEN, 1629SEN SA, 3BA Ballarat, along with Triple M Melb, Adel, Albury, Bendigo, Shepparton, Mildura, Mt Gambier, Griffith and Hobart.

1 Like

3BA the only AFL nation station there. I wonder if Ace Radio stations and Hit FM Gippsland will take it.

1 Like

Triple M Goulburn Valley (Shepparton) also takes AFL Nation on Saturdays, as well as Sports Day on weeknights.

2 Likes

A good view of the MCG radio commentary boxes from last night’s Geelong v West Coast semi final. This was just after the moment of silence for Danny Frawley which is why they are all standing.

2 Likes

AFL Website ended up providing a stream of it for those that didn’t get it over the air.

Whilst driving home from dinner, I listened to Grandstand ABC and heard commentators saying about listeners from around the world tuning into AFL PF match.

They would most likely be ex pats now living overseas and on holidays.

3 Likes

3AW’s commentary team for Saturday’s AFL Grand Final has been confirmed: Tim Lane, Tony Leonard, Matthew Lloyd, Leigh Matthews, Daniel Harford and Jacqui Reed. That means Dwayne Russell has called his last match for the station after 15 years. He will join AFL Nation and SEN in 2020.

1 Like

So I’m predicting SEN/AFLN to be Whateley, Hudson, Lyon, Dal Santo and whoever on the boundary, and MMM to be Brayshaw, Darcy, Judd, Brown and whoever on the boundary. Any variance on that?

I think you’re right for SEN. I think AFL Nation will run separate coverage as they have for the last couple of Saturdays. Probably Donegan, Quartermain, Wallace, Pickering, Wotton.

AFL Nation and SEN grand final coverage

When will Crocmedia realise they could save money using the one call instead?

2SM should be taking the SEN call if Macquarie Sports is airing the syndicated call.

I’d also like to see them air the Donegan/Qatermain et. al. call on SEN+ or one of the DAB offshoots in Melbourne (since it’s Crocmedia and they won’t be airing four different programs across the SEN suite)

1 Like

There’s something weird in there to do with the rights. SEN wasn’t owned by CrocMedia when the last radio rights were done.

I’d expect it to be normalised next time the radio rights go up/down

2 Likes

Seems like it’s a choice though because sometimes AFL Nation will only do 1 call (eg; for Friday night games) whereas there’s other games where they’ll have 2 calls (eg; just for SEN or for NSW listeners)

1 Like