AFL Coverage

ABC (720) will cross to the Eagles-Demons match immediately after the final siren of the Suns-Dockers game for listeners in WA and Victoria. Post match for other states will continue until 5pm AEST with player interviews uploaded on ABC’s Soundcloud site afterwards. Not sure about 6PR.

I thought AFL controlled the schedule not Channel 7

3AW used to cross to another game once the main game was over, if they overlapped by lets say a half hour or more. ABC did the same thing too. if you lets say had a 2.10pm game and a 3.20pm game, 3AW would not do their postgame and cross to the other game(maybe Grybas would read off the stats before crossing to the other game.) ABC did that too with Tim Lane.

My guess is that 6PR also did the same thing- it would be unfair to cut off the Suns-Dockers game before the siren.
MMM is doing something likewise on Sunday-they are calling the Hawks-Tigers game in full then switching live to the Power-Giants game for the second half. ABC is doing the earlier game and Power-Giants in full, so is SEN.

I thought i heard David Lithgow calling the Crows Cats game at Gellong with Matt Clinch, but i could be wrong or maybe it was Joe Sullivan.

Haha. Strictly speaking, you are correct. But when you’re the broadcaster throwing the best part of $1billion at the AFL, you do have a bit of clout to demand what you want from a scheduling perspective, to ensure it works in the interests of your ‘investment’

What i meant to say was back in the day, 3AW and ABC would often cross to another game once the main game was over. They don’t do that much anymore, and what MMM is doing this Sunday is not normal, expect for when there are a Victorian team in the 4.40pm game.

Listening to ABC’s Adam White and Alister Nicolson call the Lions-Bombers game, there is a reason why Rex Hunt used to call the ABC guys the “Tobin Brothers” because of their more restrained delivery. but they focus on the game, rather than antics to draw listeners. two callers and one special comments person, and a boundary rider(Tim Hodges)

i noticed that 3AW is taking 6PR’s call of the Dockers-Swans match with Karl Langdon and Adam Papalia rather than sending a full team over to Subiaco. Is this normal?

It is not normal. I think 3AW is unlucky having to broadcast Dockers v Swans back into Melbourne instead of Demons-Suns match and the Crows-Bombers clash.

ABC and SEN are lucky to have those two games. plus they have the GWS game Saturday too.

With Mark Readings not being listed for 6PR this week, maybe he is on Seven with Dennis.

for Saurday NIght i onticed that every station expect SEN is at the North Melbourne-St Kilda match. SEN is at the Gabba for the Power-Lions match since it’s two interstate teams.

ABC is also using fillins too for the Olympics. Andrew Mayes and David Lithgow are doing the game at York Park today. Have the main guys already went to Rio?

No, Adam White and Matt Clinch are commentating the Giants-Tigers clash in Canberra while Gerard Whateley will call the Pies-Eagles match at the MCG. I think many ABC radio personnel will begin to leave for Rio de Janeiro on Monday.

Ok. then i thought that Mayes and Lithgow were filling in, but given that ABC is covering every game today, they needed a extra caller.

Who is the guy calling with Gerard Whateley at the Pies-Eagles match at the MCG? EDIT: its Brett Sprigg. Maybe he’s one of the guys that will fill in during the Olympics.

Andrew Mayes has called a few games ofr ABC this year- but i odn’t think he would be the main guy filling in-Adam White will do that.

I think that during the Suns-Demons game on Sunday, Adam White didn’t know if the goal attempt after the siren was a miss or not-unlike Huddo on FOX who knew right then and there it was a miss. Even Karl Langdon on 6PR knew it had missed because he was watching FOX’s coverage of Suns-Demons while calling the Swans-Dockers game for 6PR(and 3AW)

I guess the Bulldogs-Kangaroos match is a “A” match-it’s being covered by 3AW and MMM. but why is ABC covering that game too? aren’t they supposed to air the Crows-Lions match into Melbourne?