AFL Coverage

As far as the bias these days, the 6PR team aren’t too bad expect when they have Peter Vlahos calling. he is really biased for the Eagles or Dockers it’s not funny. however when he is paired with Drew Morphett, it is a pretty good call. it’s even better when Adam Papalia calls with Drew, because those two guys are great. Kym Dillon on 5AA is pretty good too if you can put up with Rowey calling with him. I actually liked KG back in the day, even though he was biased, he and Chris Dittmar usually did a pretty good call. I can’t wait to see who ABC has calling during the Olympics while the main guys are in Rio. Personally i like 3AW now they don’t have Rex Hunt, altohugh i miss Grybas. Imagaine him and Tim Lane doing the big games for 3AW those guys would been awesome to hear!

It’s similar in the NRL when ABC take the Radio Sport call with Alan McLaughlin, very biased toward the Warriors

How many announcers do the radio stations use in the booth? for example 6PR usually has Drew Morphett and either Peter Vlahos or Ben Cameron or Peter Cardamone or Shane McInnes or Karl Langdon or Adam Papalia doing ball by ball commentary with Brad Hardie doing special comments. Now that’s for games in Melbourne/interstate. 3AW uses 4 in the booth but sometimes uses 3. 5AA uses 3 like 6PR but rotates Kym Dillon and David Wildy based on where the game is. SEN uses 3, ABC uses 4. and i’m not counting the boundary riders like Doc Larkins and that woman that works with Gerard Whateley’s crew. i don’t think SEN has any boundary riders do they?

Do you mean Neroli Meadows from Fox Sports News and Fox Footy, who works as a boundary rider for ABC on a part-time basis?

Yes.

I wonder who ABC will use on ball by ball while the main guys are in Rio? they got Adam White to do the main games, but who would handle some of the lower level games like interstate and in NSW?

This is where the ABC will come to regret letting too many people go last year due to federal budget cuts. Dan Lonergan and Drew Morphett both called various events at London 2012, but now they are working with other radio stations.
I think the ABC will only have one main caller for each AFL match during Rio. Had both Dan and Drew stayed, the arrangement would have been more flexible to allow two commentators for matches in Melbourne and Sydney.

They may use one PBP for most matches, but they MIGHT use two for FNF. Besides Adam White, they have Matt Clinch, Alister Nicolson, Kelli Underwood and Brett Sprigg to fill in for the main guys. Michael Maney might do a game or two too. or even Zane Bojack?(doesn’t he do NRL? He might be needed to fill in for Andrew Moore there) Do we know who is going where in Rio?

The Age is reporting an company owned by former AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou is advising ARN on its bid for the next AFL radio rights. The report says the ARN bid has pushed to include more women into the broadcast and to extend coverage into NSW and Queensland.

The AFL will flop on ARN in NSW and Qld, whether it’s WSFM, KIIS106.5, 4KQ, or FM97.3. It would have to go on a digital channel, surely.

1 Like

I agree. If ARN is forced to broadcast AFL on it’s main analogue stations in Sydney & Brisbane, watch the ratings of Nova Entertainment/SCA-owned stations increase!

I reckon Smooth in particular would be rubbing their hands with glee if WS had to air Swans/Giants matches. :stuck_out_tongue:

In fact, with Triple M to concentrate on broadcasting the NRL, on top of the above proposal, Smooth would be the only commercial FM station in Sydney that targets an adult audience to be playing music all weekend during the NRL/AFL season.

1 Like

Herald Sun says a decision on the next radio rights is expected next week, with Triple M and Gold104.3 fighting it out on FM rights.

If MMM loses AFL rights do we think that JB might go to 3AW with Tim Lane? That would be a big deal. Luke Darcy, i’m not so sure. Maybe Darcy could pair up with old Ten stablemate, Tim Lane. Bruce Eva could do Saturdays with Christain.

I would be very surprised if SCA let ARN poach another other of their headline acts. They’ve hopefully learnt from last time their high rating brands are worth a hell of a lot more than any price premium they have to pay. If you think 2Day FM tanked when Kyle and Jackie O left, that’s nothing compared to what would happen at Triple M in Melbourne if they lost the AFL. At least this time around they don’t have to deal with unreasonable obnoxious talent.

I would also imagine that past good performance and the reach of their regional network would be massive advantages for the AFL going with SCA again.

2 Likes

I noticed that ABC is airing the Suns-Dockers game on 612 Brisbane(4QR) and 91.7 Gold Coast, while the regionals are taking the NRL game between the Raiders and the Warriors. 6WF is taking the game at Carrara also. is SOP for 612 to take AFL over NRL? Also 6WF and 6PR are going to have a conflict with the Demons-Eagles match that starts at 4.35pm.

That’s due to AFL’s scheduling to suit Seven and GWN in WA (the Demons-Eagles match will be shown on 30 minute delay leading into the 6pm news). A similar situation occurred in round 9 on May 21 when Gold Coast-Adelaide match overlapped with the twilight clash between Port Adelaide and West Coast.

I thought that hey would start the Perth match 30 minutes later(and the game in Geelong at 8.10pm instead). Why accommodate Seven and GWN in WA instea dof 6WF and 6PR?

Sport broadcasts should remain only on talkback stations.

Waste of Pure Gold stations if ARN get the rights.

Simple answer - Seven pay a lot more money for the TV rights than the ABC/6PR pay for radio rights. Hence they get to call the shots a bit more

Of course, it would have made far more sense to start the GC v Freo game at 1:45pm, but I guess Seven didn’t want that as their Saturday afternoon FTA game in Victoria either

Be curious to see what 720 and 6PR do - do they cut the Freo game at 3/4 time or miss the first quarter of the Eagles?