AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

Surprised Seven has not yet provided the former Prime/GWN live feeds on 7plus yet? It might be related to the current outsourced playout provider which still has another 2.5 years or so to go on their current contract?

1 Like

I think the AFL has been smart this year by not having 3:20pm slot on 7, if they had 4 games around for most of R0-16 & then suddenly next year when it’s mostly 3 games people would of complained (as people always do). This way viewers won’t have a big shock with 1 less game a week. As we had 3 games a round mostly this year

But no doubt, people will 100000% complain about no Saturday 7 produced game

1 Like

But they will have 3.20 slot later in season. 7 will still be broadcasting the same amount of games next season.

2 Likes

Checked the Good Friday Breakfast recording for Broken Hill and they still carried the NSW news bulletins in the morning, so must be automated.

Yes but there is only 3 matches with 3:20 slot when there are Thursday night matches. That’s what I’m talking about.

last year in the first 5 rounds with Thursday night there were 4 Sunday games. It was similar in the back half with the full rounds that had Thursday night, 3 of 4 had Sunday game too. That’s not the case this year.

Yeah it is different. You’ve immediately lost 3 with opening round and 7 showing 3 of the 4.

Was a bit surprised that Sunday is the more Fox exclusive (start of season) day which is completely different to how it shakes out next season

7 could air a 3:10pm Sunday game then a review show leading into the news

There’s little point now. SSAI works well now and regional advertisers are spliced in depending on your geolocation.

I think 9 did in the 2018-2022 deal but I’m not certain. Telstra also had some streaming rights from memory.

1 Like

Viewers will switch off and have the opportunity to change to Nine. The whole point of the 3.20pm start is that the game finishes as close to 6pm as possible.

13 Likes

With the new reach ratings stuff, if the AFL games over time it will help 7 with inflating their numbers at least the reach​:joy::laughing:

Must be, thanks for that.

1 Like

The streams I see on 7plus in Canberra are all Sydney TVC’s with no SSAI Canberra TVC’s.

3 Likes

My Prediction for TV Broadcasting Structure in 2025 (25 Round Season, 23 Matches Per Team)

Channel 7 Productions (77 Matches)

15 Thursday Night @ 7:32PM AEST including Anzac Day Eve (Rounds 1-15)
24 Friday Night @ 7:32PM AEST excluding Good Friday
10 Saturday Night @ 7:32PM AEST (Rounds 16-25)
21 Sunday Afternoon @ 3:20PM AEST

7 Marquee; Dreamtime, Labour Day (VIC), Good Friday, Easter Monday, Anzac Day, King’s Birthday Eve & King’s Birthday.

Foxtel Productions (130 Matches)

24 Saturday Afternoon @ 1:32PM AEST excluding Gather Round
24 Saturday Twilight @ 4:20PM AEST excluding Gather Round
23 Saturday Night @ 7:10PM AEST excluding Dreamtime & Gather Round.

Sunday Afternoon @ 1:02PM AEST
Sunday Twilight @ 4:02PM AEST

Ad Hoc; Additional Friday Night, Saturday Afternoon/Twilight/Night, Gather Round & Sunday Night.

5 Likes

Very exact start times lol

1 Like

This year there is only Gather Round and from Rounds 15-24

1 Like

Doesn’t Fox get their own commentary team and graphics in the new deal?

Yes, but they’ll get the picture from Ch 7 when they are the host broadcaster.

4 Likes

So, 7 had 77 games when it was 22 games per team per season and gained 4 more with Gather Round (now have 81 games).

My guess would be 7 will get an extra Saturday night during Gather Round and 3 more either Thursday or Saturday night games from somewhere.

ANZAC Eve?

1 Like