AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

Personally I’d like to see the rights, at least to the majority of the games, go to Nine. Nine are the ones putting the effort in with football discussion shows and already have lots of people on staff who could be used as hosts/commentators.

If it wasn’t Nine, then my preference would be Seven, followed by Ten.

4 Likes

Just No!

1 Like

That’s only part of the story. By all narrative that means FOX should continue to have the AFL as well because they have even more football related shows.

Nine needs to fix their NRL coverage before they can even start thinking about the AFL.

3 Likes

Yet 10 don’t need to fix their A League coverage?

Give them a chance they have barley started into their 5 year deal with APL and FFA. Nine has had NRL for decades bit unfair in comparison.

Gee. The activity on this thread made me think there was a big developmemt in the bidding.

6 Likes

Welcome to MediaSpy.

10 Likes

I can’t wait to hear what Caro Wilson and Footy Classified team have to say about the Media deal.

Same, but we won’t be hearing from Caro for a few more weeks because she’s overseas. Sam McClure might be on the panel and will be able to contribute to the media rights discussion.

1 Like

As I mentioned on the Fox Footy forum on this site, there has been a real decline in Fox’s coverage this year. The lack of commentators at the match is a bit annoying, but what annoys me more is the decline in their programming over the past few years.

Contrast this with 7, they have no AFL programming. shows like The Front Bar and their shitty Armchair program aren’t cutting it for FTA markets. Whoever gets the rights needs to step this up for the future. 9 don’t have the rights obviously, yet they’re STILL producing two programs for the game, even after losing the rights at the end of 2006. Ten/One HD back in the day used to have dedicated programs as well.

As mentioned above, 9 and 10 need to sort out their coverage of other sports before they acquire more, 9’s NRL coverage is poor, and 10/Paramount’s ALeauge coverage is shocking.

5 Likes

Still think it’s baffling that, if 10/P+ are indeed gunning for the AFL rights in any capacity, that they haven’t returned their digital AFL show Teams on 10 this season yet after running it for the previous two.

Surely it would be a no brainer, it got decent audiences on Facebook, was across 10’s other socials and catch up service and had sponsors.

1 Like

Do we actually know when an announcement is due?

I hadn’t even heard of it until now!

Do you watch the ALeague @turdall? (I’m not being rude, just asking.) What exactly do you think is wrong with Paramount+ coverage? I watch every Victory match and found it to be fine. The biggest problem 10, Paramount+ have obviously is the ratings and that’s because football (soccer), especially domestic soccer is not exactly popular in Australia. I would love 10 and P+ to get the AFL, has everyone forgotten how they raised the popularity of BBL? 7 have made such a mess of it they are now suing to get rid of it.

5 Likes

I see Seven West Media is hard at work already pissing off their supposed broadcast partner… Mark McGowan calls for AFL to stay with free-to-air TV amid talks over Foxtel plan for Eagles and Dockers | The West Australian

3 Likes

Front Page news too tomorrow… :eyes:

https://twitter.com/westaustralian/status/1549030112494080000?s=21&t=E7ASdskxGa65s_FEIc2FmA

3 Likes

I did watch one game to see what all the complaining was about. The game I watched the screen cut black for about 20 seconds, the commentary stopped talking for quite some time and the commentary seemed very flat.

I have to admit I haven’t watched a game since. However, I have a friend who is a big fan and watches weekly who continually says it’s the worst coverage he has ever seen in any sport.

You have to remember they don’t have the same head of sports that they had then though. It wasn’t 10 that successfully did that. It was their head of sports.

7 news ran this tonight

https://twitter.com/7newsmelbourne/status/1549309056736972802?s=21&t=-20_YRNep5yS9ot3hvrK3w

It was also reported the new broadcast deal would be signed / announced before finals.

So probably by end of August or early September

4 Likes

A few cracks appearing between 7 and Foxtel.

1 Like

Good news.

5 Likes