AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

Seven would obviously have to set up a subscription aspect to the service in addition to the current free service if 7Plus carried all the AFL. Perhaps it could be called Seven Plus Plus :wink:

2 Likes

I’m happy with this. 10 did a fantastic job with AFL in the past with their coverage well-recieved by fans

Looking at the article, I could see either 10/Pararmount+ or Seven/Foxtel getting the rights. I highly doubt Nine will, as they already have NRL, Tennis, and could get Olympics back.

If Seven get AFL and Olympics, I could see 10 getting cricket rights. I doubt Seven will get cricket rights again, due to prices rising.

There’s a huge portion of the public who don’t use linear TV or have Foxtel or anything beyond a chromecast either. Time and technology marches forward.

4 Likes

That is true. But I do know a lot of people in that demographic who don’t even know what streaming is and only got Foxtel to watch football.

It’s a question that the AFL has to ask themselves. Is it time to move into the streaming game and get big money and sacrifice viewers. Or do they do what is safe?

You can see ways they could use that extra cash. But is half a million of 6 years really that much money in the grand scheme of things?

I meant subscription streaming service so they can attract another revenue stream outside of the advertising streams. That way they can have all the rights in house and control them across platforms.

1 Like

Considering the current long-term rights agreement (ie; pre-COVID-related adjustments and the subsequent 2 year extension) was worth $2.508 million, a nearly 25% increase on that is definitely a credible bid (assuming The Australian’s reporting is correct).

Guess the broader question is what’s the motivation behind the $3 billion number being leaked? Is it merely speculation, or are there some classic rights negotiation tactics at play (eg; someone associated with Paramount/10 deliberately leaking an amount below what they actually plan to bid to catch out other bidders).

Not really - Nine might think they can’t make the economics work to have both the complete NRL and AFL FTA packages whereas having a significant/nearly-weekly marquee primetime AFL package could perhaps work for them financially on top of their other commitments.

Isn’t this what News do? They’ve done it before with all other rights negotiations. They put the fear of god into the sports organizations. Ultimately the fans and grassroots miss out.

CA have been burned dealing with 7/fox in that weird simulcast deal. Other sports have suffered under the brutal regime of being beholden to News Corp.

Their needs to be a mix up in sport rights in this country and the first thing that needs to happen is for 7 and fox to be taken down a notch or two.

We are behind the times and it’s a disaster. The NFL and EPL do a good job with their rights and that needs to be modeled albeit adjusted to suit our markets and sports.

2 Likes

What you’re talking about is almost irrelevant to the report being discussed since that wasn’t the nature of what said report was about. Instead, it was merely speculating about how much Paramount/10 could bid for the AFL.

If News really wanted to have gone down the path you keep banging on about (and yes they’ve done that many, many, times in the past), the report would have been much more ‘loaded’ than it was.

I think we need to be careful in assuming or thinking articles in publications are there to always further the interests of their top brass. No doubt this does happen but sometimes news is just news.

7 Likes

If 10 regain the rights to the afl, hopefully they will bring back the fifth quarter segment (covering topical issues, Spectacular marks, goals and other stunts).
I am in two minds of the five minute warning. It can be good, but the five minute warning should be sparingly used in case if it’s a lopsided game. For example, the hawthorn v port Adelaide match in 2011 is more jan 140 points during the final five minutes of the final quarter.

1 Like

I wouldn’t just put that onto the broadcasters… but CA have a lot to answer for with that shit deal.

1 Like

It 10 gain the rights (unlikely at this stage) it will be a completely different product from what we saw 2 decades ago.

That’s a backwards way of thinking about it even if Ten was up for sale.

Paramount+ would be the main deal - this is a significant investment by Paramount. Then the linear Channel 10 component could be a way of making a more stable and attractive property for being purchased - but the funds for the broadcast deal would come from a big multi-national with far deeper pockets than any of the other operators in the market. That is vastly more certainty for the AFL than they would get from any other operator.

Indeed I think there is far more risk with Nine or Seven as the FTA partner, less so Nine as they have at least got Stan set up as their means of shifting away from old-media - but don’t have the scale of the international giants, but Seven’s revenue model is advertising on linear TV? Why would they be a more trusted partner than Paramount?

3 Likes

If Nine were to go after just one match per round, it implies that they’re confident another FTA broadcaster is on board with the idea and will televise other slots or that the AFL is really into the ‘packages’ idea.

It’s weird to me at least in that it doesn’t fit with all the other noise being made atm, ie 10/P+ wanting everything; 7 and Fox wanting something broadly similar to the current set up etc.

The way I see it is Nine would develop Thursday Night Football as a brand of sorts, with AFL in AFL states and NRL in their respective states. That also takes out another night of primetime they need to programme.

That’s of course if it’s going on linear and not just a Stan only play.

4 Likes

What a mess this will be. AFL going down the NFL model with games on various networks.

Won’t go down well with fans if 7, 9 and 10 (plus their streaming providers) broadcast games

1 Like

I really can’t see this going to 10 or 9. I think Seven/Fox will regain the rights, and as I’ve mentioned before, it’s because of Gillon McLachlan’s conflict of interests. Firstly, his brother is employed by Seven and calls prime time games for the network. Secondly, Foxtel CEO Patrick Delaney is one of the names mentioned as a possibility to replace Gil in the top job.

7Plus Premium

I think realistically there is only 2 options

• 3-4 matches on 10/10play & All matches on Paramount+

• 3-4 matches on 7/7+ & all matches on Fox/Kayo

3 Likes