Advice Thread

As some of you may be aware, over the last 18 months I have lost 45kgs. However, since March of this year until now I have put on roughly 10 or so kilograms and have stayed around the 95kg mark for a few or months now.

I have still been on my diet and continued to go on my daily exercise during this period. So nothing has really changed.

Is this a way of my body telling me that I’m at the right weight or is my body used to my diet and no longer losing weight? I do not want to back to 130kg where I was in March 2020 when I started this weight loss.

2 Likes

It’s potentially a plateau of sorts. It depends how much weight you want to lose. I am no dietician or health expert but I’ve always been told your body gets more comfortable with a certain rate of exercise so… are you still doing the same amount/rate/type of exercise or have you lifted the amount you do?

You may also need to change up your exercise (which at the moment if you’re locked down could be difficult) - if you’ve been doing a lot of cardio, maybe add some weight work.

Have you been doing it by yourself or have you had help (like a dietician or PT/exercise physiologist)?

Well done though, that’s an impressive effort

2 Likes

Well my goal weight is 85kg. That’s what I was back March until it started to increase. 85kg has also been my lightest.

I started this off my own back without any help from a professional. I generally burn 5,000kj doing a 13km fast pace walk each day for my daily exercise, plus whatever I do at work. My apartment has a gym/pool but that has been closed for the majority of the past 18 months due to obvious reasons.

My meal plan are as follows;

• Breakfast - Optislim meal replacement shake plus a banana
  • Snack - Carman’s protein bar
  • Lunch - Salad of some sort
  • Snack - YoPro yoghurt
  • Dinner - High protein meat with vegetables and/or salad
  • Dessert - YoPro ice cream
2 Likes

Have you thought about doing the 16 hour fast? It worked for me during lockdown last year when I wanted to lose a few kg

Highly recommend these, I do the same.

A lot of sugar or sugar ish things there. Keto diets while meat and fat heavy seem to shift a lot of weight and it’s a diet you can realistically stick to if you like it too. Don’t need as much exercise either.

Has anyone here ever felt that they don’t like who they are and want to do better but don’t know how?

2 Likes

I can see that you are struggling and support your decision to seek therapy.

1 Like

Yep! Me before rehab! Not even about addictions, more lifestyle education - the stuff I learnt there should be taught in schools!

But it has helped me so much, I have boundaries in place with my dysfunctional family, I’ve moved out I’m more in touch with my sexuality and more accepting of it (myself and others). No shame and guilt around the things I love or do. And being in touch with my emotions. I was so detached espically for a Capricorn moon!

I can tell you I’m a different person from 3/4 months ago! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I’m struggling with a major life decision here.

I’m hating my job at the moment. It’s just not right for me and my personality. It’s very intense and I’m finding that I’m “taking my work home with me” and that’s not a good thing.

An opportunity has come up in a different state. I have no family or friends there but I can’t help but think a major life reset is in order and this change would be good for me.

To grow up a little more and experience life without the immediate support of family and friends. I definitely think it’s the right move but I know that I’m scared and will probably chicken out.

Has anyone had any similar experiences and what did you ultimately decide to do and how did it go?

General opinions and advice from others is also welcome. I’d love as much guidance and thoughts as possible.

5 Likes

Yes, back in the late 90s my job here in Newcastle was going to be made redundant. I was offered a similar job on the Gold Coast and I took it rather than stay in Newcastle and look for another job.

Im glad i did it, whilst I was on the Gold Coast for only 3 years, i was able to get another job back in Newcastle with the same employer.

I enjoyed the change up there, but came back as it was too far from family and friends here.

1 Like

So in your opinion I should go for it?

Don’t get me wrong I see it as a major life experience and can’t stay in the same area forever. I know once I’m there and settled that I’ll be fine it’s just the actual decision making and initial moving away that scares me.

I think a brand new world and area would be great to explore and meet new people and places etc.

It’s just hard. I’m very much a strict routine kinda guy.

3 Likes

Everyone is different, no one can answer that question but you i guess.

Just because it worked out for me doesn’t mean it’s for everyone.

But yes, it’s the initial decision making and moving that is hardest… I was OK once i got up there and found it to be a new adventure.

2 Likes

I’ve just employed someone who’s done similar to what you’ve suggested and is in the process of relocating their immediate family from the NT to Regional NSW.

We’ve made a bit of an effort to help them - mainly around navigating things like finding schools and after-school care because we know it’s not an easy task to lift and shift your family halfway across the continent but also because we’re keen to keep them long term.

Making such a move is a decent-sized risk - but often one worth taking.

Might sound like a non-answer but you really just have to weigh up the pros and cons and also consider how much risk you can tolerate.

ie., if moving to a different job somewhere else is a much better value proposition that staying where you are, then consider taking it

On the other hand, I know from experience that these feelings of ‘my job doesn’t fit me’ and ‘I’m never happy where I am right now etc.’ tend to follow you around and you might realise that moving somewhere else doesn’t make you any less miserable in the long run.

1 Like

Obviously you don’t have to share the specifics, but if it was me, I’d also be factoring in what state it is.

If you’re moving to a state not too far from your current state then at least it’s only a short plane flight should you need to go home at any point if it gets too hard.

But if you’re moving to the other side of the country then I guess there’s a bit of a mental barrier being isolated and very far away from family and friends back home.

All the best, hope it works out.

2 Likes

I have moved twice in my life away from my family.

The first time was for 3 years to London. It was the best decision I ever made. It was hard being away from my family but I learnt some much about myself.

The second time was to melbourne, which is where I am now. I get back to Adelaide a few times a year so it’s not so bad.

I think if you are struggling so much with your current job, and I’m not sure how other things are in your life, I would take this as a sign to do something about it. If you hate it it’s not that hard to move back.

1 Like

It’s a tough decision but you can always go back if you don’t like it. I had the opportunity to move to Hobart for a job which came up very unexpectedly but I decided to do it. I thought I’d settled down but after about 5 years and after meeting my wife down there we decided one weekend to try living back in Devonport. We set the expectation that we’d give it 12 months and if we didn’t like it we’d go back down to Hobart - after 6 months we bought a house.

I’ve been in several jobs and often been in the position where I feel trapped and felt like I couldn’t leave but eventually needed to for my own sanity. Give things a crack and see how they go.

I agree with this too. For me that’s a constant thing of learning about myself and different coping strategies for different things and situations but that’s for another story for me!

3 Likes

2 weeks ago I left my job after 29 years working there.Before this job I worked in another manufacturing position for 10 years.As it was an unskilled position in manufacturing so it was demanding physically ,at 59 I now have arthritis in both knees and lower back, I was in pain from my back and getting cranky at work , I also had had too many sick days so I knew I had to leave or they would have told me to😕I still don’t know what I’ll do next, maybe a delivery or a taxi driver. As I received payment for 14 weeks long service leave I’m now living off that until I receive income from Centrelink . I’m not officially retired yet ,I will work again if I find something suitable and only part time , I don’t want to work full time anymore. I’ve decided I don’t want to see anyone from my old workplace ever again, I’m also thinking about leaving Brisbane,the only reason I’m reluctant to leave is because I have a home here and immediate family close by,and moving somewhere else where I would have to find somewhere affordable to rent wouldn’t be a great idea. I’m still having days wondering if I made the right decision to leave a job after so long but physically and mentally too I was struggling. I should have left years ago before I became stuck in a rut because I was convinced there wasn’t anything else that I could do.

3 Likes