ABC TV On-Air Presentation

Interesting.

I can see what they’ve done and why. Remind viewers that ABC has a much bigger presence than just TV.

But… I feel like viewers know this anyway?

1 Like

The change over to ABC TV at 6am and some elements of the new on air presentation.

4 Likes

Foul. The ABC symbol on its own is the most powerful branding tool they have. This is not only ugly but harks back to a pre iview age. So misguided. Just call ABC2 ‘ABC2’ and leave the rest.

4 Likes

Are they going to rebrand abc news to abc tv news? They should if they use the same logic to differentiate.

This is ridiculous. People know they are watching TV, they don’t need it on the screen!

It think this new naming exercise is to align all the divisions of ABC under one naming scheme and as @pelican has said, to remind viewers about ABC’s larger presence outside of TV.

E.g.

ABC TV
ABC TV Plus
ABC NEWS
ABC RADIO

I like it.

1 Like

I think the minor tweaks to the On-Air Presentation for an “ABC TV” logo are fine. Ties in well with the logo for ABC TV Plus, provides decent brand separation between the ABC’s television stations (in a not entirely dissimilar way to how we have “Radio” in the local station names) and the corporation as a whole.

Like similar “channel number” brands from the other networks the ABC1/ABC2 brands served their purpose well during the years we were transitioning from analogue to digital TV, but their time has since passed.

In 2021, it’s probably for the best that our national broadcaster has station brands which are friendlier to the potential of any transition (probably likely to happen sometime during the next 5-10 years) from linear TV channel to online-only service. I think ABC TV, ABC TV Plus, ABC Kids, ABC ME and ABC News are more future proof in this regard than ABC1, ABC2, ABC3, ABC 4 Kids and ABC News 24 were.

I reckon they’d have to be seriously considering a stronger level of brand separation between bulletins produced exclusively for the main channel, bulletins produced exclusively for the ABC News channel and those seen on both.

Can anyone give me an example of a TV channel which puts TV in their bug??

Exactly. If the ABC are concerned that viewers wouldn’t be able to differentiate between the main channel and TV Plus, they should have gone back to using ABC1 & ABC2

3 Likes

Why the fuck add TV??

Will Netflix add Streaming?

Will Triple J add Radio?

This is so weird

7 Likes

Those 3 bugs on the screen couldn’t work together as a cohesive design ANY less.

ABC has some really foul design.

It’s so awkward and clumsy

4 Likes

But following their logic that a TV feed bizarrely gets “TV” added to it, shouldn’t it also be ABC kids TV and ABC Me TV.

Also ABC News TV

Why add TV to ABC but not to ABC Kids and ABC Me?

2 Likes

but the numeral system makes more sense, not just adding TV awkwardly to half the channel names

i mean BBC in the UK still has BBC1 and BBC2 and those names have stuck for almost 60 years

2 Likes

I’m sure if we had an “ABC1” and “ABC2” as far back as the 1960s & 70s, they would’ve become an iconic part of Australian broadcasting as the BBC equivalents have become in the UK.

But significantly, most of the ABC’s channel number brands (aside from ABC2 which was first used in 2005 when the majority of Australians didn’t even have access to it) were introduced in the Late 2000s and 2010.

Will we still commonly hear the channels referred to as ABC1, ABC2, ABC3 and ABC News 24 in ten years time? Personally, I highly doubt it!

They do for ABC News (on Radio)

Branding? (albeit sloppy)

1 Like

Adding TV to channel is pointless, it’s a waste.
When they go and make these changes it really does nothing for their argument that they are underfunded.
I am a massive ABC fan, but when I see the amount of times these channels have changed it’s staggering. It is such a waste of money and resources.
They should have left it as abc and then abc 2.

2 Likes

… it’s for the Americans …

It appears odd at start with, but look at this

It totally makes sense when all the channel brands are displayed. It’s the watermark that is awful, it shouldn’t be stacked, TV doesn’t need to be that big. Put a TV next to the ()()() like a ™ symbol or underneath small like HD was.

The channel mixes are wrong though, ABC ME should air as a daytime block on ABCTVPlus, and ABC Kids should be its own channel.

4 Likes

ABC Kids is for preschoolers and young children. Makes no sense to give them a whole channel when they’re in bed by 7pm

3 Likes

and yet now I feel that it was a terrible decision for ABC to abandon this naming system, the thing is I know I am watching ABC on TV, I don’t need that shoved down my throat as the name, honestly what’s next for ABC’s branding system? ABC Internet Education? it makes no sense.

3 Likes