ABC Sports Broadcasting

Can’t the W League demand that ABC change it policy about the 7:00 news, for the finals? or since the games are on FOX does it not matter?

It’s believed that the ABC has been the only free-to-air broadcaster to bid for the rights to the A-League, with Seven, Nine, Ten and SBS not submitting bids. Other bids have been submitted, probably for streaming rights.

2 Likes

I am surprised to see that ABC is the only one left in the bidding wars for the A-League (and Socceroos matches). SBS currently has one A-League game a week. I assume their contract finishes when this season finishes up in a few weeks time? I thought Ten might have been still keen for the competition, but maybe said no because of how good the Big Bash is doing?

As for the Socceroos matches, I thought that Nine (well, on GO) had the current rights, and that games on GO rated well enough. Maybe A-League and Socceroos matches are paired together as a package, and that Nine aren’t interested in A-League?

If the ABC gets it, it will be good to see the A-League and W-League paired up, as to the Socceroos and Matildas games. That would be a bonus for soccer fans.

3 Likes

According to a promo just aired, ABC2 will show the soccer friendly between A-League champions Sydney FC and Liverpool from ANZ Stadium next Wednesday, May 24, celebrating the Reds’ 125th anniversary. The telecast starts at 7.30pm AEST (kick off at 8pm AEST) and will also be streamed live on iView.
UPDATE: the match will be shown on delay in WA but live in other states and territories. Julian Schiller will host the telecast.
It will be the first soccer friendly involving an overseas soccer team to air on the ABC.
Tickets are still available from Ticketek.

##Liverpool FC v Sydney FC

Wednesday 24 May at 7.30pm AEST

The match between one of the world’s biggest clubs, Liverpool Football Club and Sydney FC will air live on Wednesday May 24 at 7.30pm AEST on ABC2 and live-streamed on ABC iview at 7.30pm.

After a resurgent English Premier League season, Liverpool will take on the A-League champions at the Sydney Olympic Stadium.

As soon as they wrap up their Premier League season Liverpool stars Phillipe Coutinho, Emre Can and Daniel Sturridge will be hopping on a plane to fly out to Australia.

Liverpool will bring a team chock full of legends including Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger and Steve McManaman. In two previous visits to Australia, Liverpool have been unbeaten. Sydney FC, after the most dominant season in A-League history, will be out to spoil Liverpool’s record.

Pre-game coverage, hosted by Jules Schiller and panellists Tegan Higginbotham and Steen Raskopoulos, begins at 7.30pm. Full match coverage will feature Ned Hall, Paul Wade, former Socceroo’s Captain, and Sarah Walsh, Matilda’s legend. The game then kicks off at 8.05pm on ABC2, ABC iview and ABC Radio’s Grandstand. SA/ NT viewers can see the coverage from 7pm.

ABC Director of Television, David Anderson said: “We’re excited to welcome Liverpool FC, one of the most famous sporting clubs in the world, to Australia to take on the current A-League champions, Sydney FC. The ABC is proud to bring this spectacular sporting event live to all Australians.

4 Likes

huh

2 Likes

None of the numerous sports journalists on ABC Radio were given a chance to host this??

Jules has been popping up on Grandstand a bit, he did the Clipsal weekend and has some involvement in AFL coverage.

Evidently the ABC can’t afford player line up graphics.

3 Likes

ABC is getting roasted on social media.

What do they want? Flashy graphics? Also, the match is a joint radio/TV broadcast so some viewers may not be used to Ned Hall’s commentary.

I think most of the complaints are about the pre-match coverage.

1 Like

Half-time coverage also being lamented, not sure what they were thinking having comedians doing this.

I think ABC recruited Tegan Higginbotham for pre-match coverage after her work on AFLW pre-game show on Seven earlier this year.

Yeah this isn’t great.

And cue the traditional ABC bashing, twitter sourced, quick copy eight pars from the Herald Sun.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/worst-football-coverage-in-the-history-of-australia/news-story/9509e18b0b22f2f88776cfa7bc6376e1

1 Like

Honestly, if ABC gets the rights to the A League. God help us.

5 Likes

I’d imagine they’d be a bit more serious than a kick and giggle out of season match.

1 Like

The two guys to the right behind him were baffled as to what he was talking about.

As long as it’s funny. :slight_smile: I must admit I found it hilarious.

This is where a simulcast with Fox Sports would’ve been handy for those who wanted serious coverage.