ABC operations

Problem began when sky news went to war with them and then theABc became the beacon for culture wars by the IPA, the Australian, sky news and any of the coalition governments.

1 Like

I saw that article posted on the ABC website and thought ‘oh ffs, they’re just inviting trouble with a headline like that’.

The article is about what the anti-Australia Day crowd are doing on the day. That’s fair enough, worthy of reporting on…but the problem with it was that at first glance it looked like they were giving the title ‘Invasion Day’ equal footing to ‘Australia Day’ which is obviously going to rile people up. It’s up there with those crappy clickbaity headlines you see on ABC Life/Everyday.

With 99% of people never actually clicking on the article, they’re just going to read the headline and go ‘those ABC lefties are at it again with my taxpayer $!’

3 Likes

… it was actually the other way round … ABC created a Pay-TV news operation in 1993 and tried to bully providers into buying it … 7 & 9 entered into a partnership with BSkyB and left the ABC high and dry when they signed up the providers instead … in 2010 the ABC “went to war” with SkyNews by establishing the unbudgeted, unfunded ABC News Channel by pillaging funds from areas like drama, comedy, children’s and regional when the ALP government wouldn’t fund it … 10 years later the “war” continues as you say along politically-leaning lines …

seriously… “he started it”, “no, he started it”… from the two biggest media operators in the country?

No wonder nobody trusts the media anymore

3 Likes

… actually no … Foxtel didn’t exist when all this started … it was all the ABC’s doing …

The ‘war’ to the extent that it exists was Sky shifting to opinion over news in prime time - possibly brought about by the ABC entering the news space on FTA and them using it to make a point of distinction.

Given how vastly more successful the opinion programming is for Sky over their old straight news coverage, they should - and probably actually are - happy the ABC have taken that over as the dull rolling news channel, pushing them to enter what ended up being a more profitable space, while not leaving a ‘news’ audience on the table.

They’ve both succeeded in growing a pie and deliver different things to different audiences. News 24 is clearly a valued service for the public, and the ABC were right to launch it.

7 Likes

… hasn’t been called “News 24” for a while ('cos it isn’t) … but yes the ABC should absolutely have a free-to-air news channel … I just wish that its launch had been properly planned and budgeted rather than being rushed (for political and ego reasons) resulting in such a loss of other valuable ABC services …

1 Like

A poster here is clearly a disillusioned ex employee with an axe to grind, but back to the article, it was talking about Invasion Day from one perspective. News Corps favourite pastime is finding any little thing and blowing it up, make it a story, get everyone riled up and continue the culture wars, it’s so tedious.

5 Likes

6pm Ch 7 TV News Sydney tonight exposed the ABC TV finance news segment where the female white news reader said: “Australia Day - Invasion Day” - seams rather blatant to me. Wonder if she got called into the bosses office later?

Time for people to unite as one rather than support people who would rather seek comfort fracturing & dividing people & the nation. Nobody can change the past…

1 Like

… if that’s meant to be a dig at me, not true … as I said, the ABC was once an organisation that people could be proud of … it isn’t any more and that’s largely down to the news department …

I’ve searched online for this report but can’t find anything. Got a link? I’d like to judge for myself and make a complaint if there’s any substance there.

But we can change the way events of the past are treated in the future. Imagine society applied that kind of attitude to every hot button social issue of the past.

2 Likes

Thanks, found it on 7 Plus. Only a brief clip from the news channel, unfortunately I didn’t recognise the presenter or her voice, but that was poor and appears to go against their actual editorial policy on the matter which has. Been misreported by several news outlets.

1 Like

Except every poll and bit of research says more and more Australians value and trust the ABC and in particular, ABC News each year.

This is an interesting discussion about ABC operations

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Australia Day

Have removed a whole stack of posts re Australia Day / January 26 / etc to a new thread

Australia Day

6 Likes

… actually that’s not true, the measure of “trust” (for all media) has gone down over the past few years … and all the polls said that Bill Shorten was gonna be PM … having worked for many years in television programming, I’m well aware of how the way that questions are asked can affect the outcome … for example, people keep quoting the figure of 82% “trust” in the ABC from a Roy Morgan poll … but the actual poll was about “brands” and the ABC brand came in fourth after Aldi, Bunnings and Qantas … but it suits some people to misquote that research as if it was about ABC news content … the other thing about research into the ABC is that there is a significant element of “donkey” vote … feeling that they should be watching the ABC so say they are … don’t get me wrong, the ABC still comes out way ahead of other broadcast news outfits, but the overall decline is there …

Often seen that one used out of context. I like to use the Reuters Institute report. Much more in depth.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://reutersinstitute.politics.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2020-06/DNR_2020_FINAL.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjgyeipp7nuAhXBjOYKHXNND9EQFjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3q0qm7NvbaAS7qH8XW4fml

… yep, I picked up on that one for the first time last year so don’t have any previous reference to compare … I’ve subscribed to the Essential Report for years because it goes into even greater detail of “levels” of trust which, significantly, others most often quoted don’t … particularly the low numbers for “a lot of trust” compared to the “some trust” figure … journalists tend to lump the two together to make the overall figure look good, but it must worry those people who actually take it seriously …