ABC operations

So long as they are focusing on producing programs that are the best they can be for an intended medium. Not trying to produce programs that will sit muddled up trying (failing) to suit all forms of media and end up being crappy in all of them

3 Likes
1 Like

Streaming.

Annual Public Meeting 2018

We would like to invite you to our first Annual Public Meeting to join a conversation with the ABC. You will meet the ABC’s Chairman and Board and hear how we are creating a stronger ABC, now and into the future.

Find out how you can take part by watching a national live stream of the event.

More information

3 Likes

Something I noticed recently in some news reports about the ABC (namely those cabinet raids and centralising the archives in Melbourne) - the ABC Centre in Ultimo now has a very large flat ABC logo painted/stickered on the glass next to the main entrance.

7 Likes

In NSW, on digital TV (LCN 2) there are 2 different station LCN names for metro and regional areas (though I think the content/promos are both the same 24/7).

• ABC Sydney
  • ABC NSW

I’m pretty sure VIC and QLD have separate metro and regional LCN names, do all other states and territories do this too?

Nope, only on the network ID.

2 Likes

That would make sense, considering that there seems to be provision for the Sydney feed to be different to the NSW feed. I think there was an example last year where an ABC Radio Sydney promo was played in Sydney only.

1 Like

Queensland doesn’t have different LCN names - ABC for metro and regional though network IDs are different.

2 Likes

I think that’s what i meant - Network IDs, not LCN names (sorry)

And thanks @melbournefan too, just not sure now about SA/WA/TAS/NT/ACT (I would be surprised if the last three did have different Network IDs).

1 Like

ABC EDUCATION

ABC LAUNCHES NEW DESTINATION FOR AUSTRALIAN EDUCATION

The ABC is excited to announce the launch of ABC EDUCATION (abc.net.au/education), a one-stop destination for outstanding educational resources for Australian teachers, students and parents.

ABC EDUCATION will allow teachers, students and parents to have access to thousands of curriculum-matched videos, games, interactive tools and articles, and a new suite of content on the highly engaged English-language learning service, Learn English (abc.net.au/education/learn-english).

The launch will include the return of Australia’s much loved and only children’s news and current affairs program, Behind the News (BTN), with new host Amelia Moseley. Moseley has already worked on the program for four years as a reporter and presenter. Airing Tuesdays at 10.00am on ABC ME, BTN will continue to deliver the week’s news to approximately one million primary school students around the country on air and online (abc.net.au/btn).

ABC EDUCATION will identify and partner with leading institutions, including the gallery, library and museum sector, to create innovative resources to inspire and educate students nationally.

Australia’s first Media Literacy Week, an initiative of ABC EDUCATION, will be held in September. The resources and activities created for this week will equip the audience to navigate the complex world of information that is on offer to them every day through many platforms and media outlets.

Audiences will also be able to access to educational material broadcast on ABC ME on weekdays from 10.00am–12.00pm during the school term. These programs, including titles such as Bistro Escargot and Fall in Love with Music, will also be available on ABC iview.

The launch of ABC EDUCATION reflects an important step in the way the ABC delivers content to audiences across Australia and demonstrates its commitment to educate Australians and deliver content of an educational nature.

Director of Television, David Anderson, said: “ABC Education not only delivers on the broadcaster’s responsibility to inform, educate and entertain but more importantly is an intuitive destination for teachers, students and parents who want high-quality, trusted education content in one place regardless of whether it is online, on television or on radio.”

Annabel Astbury, Head of ABC EDUCATION, said: “ABC Education will continue to offer this vast range of content that has been built up over the past five years through ABC Splash, as well as offering a new suite of exciting experiences that reflect changing classroom practices and help equip students with essential skills and knowledge to participate in and contribute to a global community.”

ABC EDUCATION HIGHLIGHTS

Minibeast Heroes

An amazing animation for both young and old, which teaches all about the wonders of the small but mighty invertebrate bugs that live in our gardens and homes. The six-episode series will be accompanied by learning resources, including interactive models of the bugs that will allow kids to see detail like never before, along with an immersive virtual reality experience making these tiny bugs bigger than life.

Additional educational resources, including interactives will be available on ABC EDUCATION.

You can watch Minibeast Heroes now on ABC EDUCATION:

Or Watch Now on ABC iview

The first episode of Minibeast Heroes airs Tuesday 27 February at 10.25am on ABC ME.

Behind the News (BTN)

This year, BTN will collaborate with the University of Melbourne to find out how Australian children contribute at home, at school and in their communities. This will form an important part of international research around the true value of children within our society today.

Plus, after 30,000 students got involved last year, BTN will again facilitate one of the world’s largest class friendship programs: Aussie Classroom Connection. It will also check in with some of last year’s connected classes, to find out what they’ve learned from each other.

And finally, BTN will invite students around Australia to nominate an inspirational teacher for its annual BTN Teacher Award – to celebrate teachers and educators around the country who inspire, guide and influence young Australians every day.

Behind the News airs Tuesday at 10.00am on ABC ME and on the ABC ME app.

abc.net.au/btn

Learn English

English-language learners will be delighted with a new suite of video courses and resources to help them learn English and navigate life in Australia. With a growing international community four-million-people strong, the ABC is proud to be able to deliver unique conversations and stories to this audience.

abc.net.au/education/learn-english

Partnerships

ABC EDUCATION will partner with Australia’s great galleries, libraries and museums, bringing beautiful content from collections that will inspire teachers and students alike.

In conjunction with the Koori Heritage Trust, ABC EDUCATION has produced a collection of videos that teach students about Melbourne’s Indigenous history; and Sydney Living Museums “Susannah Place” will uncover the life of children during Australia’s convict years.

For those wanting to unravel how Australian politics work, a unique content collaboration with the Parliamentary Education Office at Parliament House will answer all your tricky questions about our democracy.

ABC EDUCATION will also connect with communities in Perth, Hobart, Darwin and Ballarat to create innovative resources that help educate Australian students about national histories and cultures, by working with local galleries, libraries and museums.

ABC EDUCATION is thrilled to announce Australia’s first Media Literacy Week in September 2018. Across the year, ABC EDUCATION will offer new resources that will help Australian school students decipher and understand media and news in a hyper-connected, social media-driven news world. And in preparation for this, a new set of resources for teenage students around media literacy will be released.

ABC EDUCATION TV PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS

Bistro Escargot

A new six-episode French-language series for beginners. Jasmine and Daniel
become lost on a school trip with their French class. They happen upon a
bistro where a zany chef and an impatient waitress treat them to an
experience they won’t forget.

Bistro Escargot airs Thursday at 10.15am on ABC ME and on ABC iview.

Fall in Love with Music

An eight-episode series for middle to upper secondary students, teaching listening skills that will help viewers understand, enjoy and better connect with all of the music in their lives.

Fall in Love with Music airs Friday at 10.35am on ABC ME and on ABC iview.

They could have at least added a science section with Dr Karl’s content.

Reminds me of the good old days…

And just for the sake of old memories (just the intro)

3 Likes

If all the ABC wants is floor space, it should be renting other buildings instead of dismantling its audio collection.

1 Like

Would it be possible to offshore the IT department rather than the libraries?

1 Like

“No cuts to the ABC”… oh wait

Goodness. Why Samoa?? How is that a good idea?

2 Likes

It’s a “donation”.

1 Like

Ridiculous

5 Likes