ABC News Presenters and Reporters

This package looked so good on BDA’s website

Clearly ABC- like most government run departments - was able to fuck it up.

They have the right ideas at ABC - they just lack in ability to execute.

4 Likes

The ABC is funded by taxpayers - it is NOT “government run.”

6 Likes

fair enough distinction. But you get my point I’m sure.

1 Like

And today contained images of poor resolution, of presumably today’s news, that were barely recognisable because of their low quality.

With recent $80m studio upgrades in Melbourne, new studios in Brisbane a few years ago - and an entire GFX package just produced form the ground up - as well as ABC HD being launched - why is ABC not at least (when given the opportunity) upgrading things HD?

Are we gonna have these ABC News GFX in SD for the next 7 years now?

6 Likes

Pretty weird when the News Channel graphics (although not HD) are clearer and crisper than the flagship bulletins on the main channel. I too don’t understand why the lack of HD output in a Melbourne with the upgrade - especially with the fact that national programs come out of there!

1 Like

Very strange to see the Canberra bulletin apparently renamed ‘ABC News ACT’. It’s always been called ABC News Canberra as it reaches into NSW, but in areas considered the Canberra ‘region’ - Queanbeyan, Murrumbateman, Gouldburn, Cooma, even Braidwood.

Insight into the graphics from BDA.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the 2005-2010 ABC News presentation was done in-house or externally?

I recall the ABC News logo intro title card was made outside the ABC, not sure about the rest, but it looks to be in-house.

http://www.taylorfilm.com/tcctaylor/channelbranding/abc-news.htm

4 Likes

Yeah, I’d probably have to agree that the 2005 ABC News Opening Titles (and possibly also the sets?) were likely made outside of the ABC with other graphical elements made in-house.

1 Like

Paul Higgins is presenting 7pm bulletin in Victoria tonight.

4 Likes

I remember there was some European TV network that had an almost identical copy of those 2005 graphics.

1 Like

He’s a little bit of a joker…

https://twitter.com/AugustusBrown/status/852514062541799427

17 Likes

Paul Higgins also presenting Good Friday bulletin in Victoria.

3 Likes

Gloria Kalache presenting in Victoria this weekend.

Watching ABC News Vic for the first time since relaunch tonight - picture quality of the new graphics is pretty poor, looks all pixellated especially on the HD channel. Made worse I think because of the high contrast of black text on white background.

Other channels can run SD graphics and not look so bad, what is the ABC doing to make them so dodgy?

At least they finally began to use the new theme during the closer.

I agree with you, but even with the your ‘toned down’ red it’s difficult to read the ticker text. White text on a red background looks ok as a still, but when it’s broadcast on moving vision with compression applied, it’s still going to be hard on the eye.

1 Like

ABC News ACT used a modified opener tonight.

1 Like