ABC News Presenters and Reporters

They were taking turns doing a week at a time from Perth, Tamara did last week, my guess is Hendo will do until Wednesday this week now they’re back at Southbank.

1 Like

Damian McIver has arrived in Rio and will cover the Olympics for both TV and radio news on the ABC. He is part of the 13-member news team in Rio.
Read the full story behind the news gathering here

Guy Stayner presenting the Victorian bulletin tonight.

Is it just me, or does the Victorian bulletin seem to have fill-in presenters on considerably more often than the ABC’s other state-based 7pm bulletins?

Quite amazing how slow Australia is to break overseas breaking news, something you would expect from a rolling 24hr news service.

Emirates 777 Crashed in Dubai. All over UK news for the last hour.

Wasn’t a crash, it caught fire on landing

The presenters schedule is all over the place.

Ian seems to be presenting every 2nd weekends.

1 Like

I’d reckon that’s to do with presenting from Perth, I dare say he’s back Monday - Thursday now.

1 Like

Guy Stayner presenting in Victoria again tonight.

There is a notice at the start of the ABC 7pm news on iView today which says “Parts of this program are unavailable due to Olympics rights restrictions”. It relates to the opening round of the Olympic soccer tournament which started early this morning. They replaced Seven’s footage with photos from the event.
With the Rio Games in full swing, the restriction will affect recordings of all 7pm bulletins on iView until Tuesday August 23, the day after Seven’s coverage finishes.

1 Like

They’ll probably do a package which is easy to cut out.

Gloria Kalache presenting the Victorian bulletin tonight.

http://ow.ly/qYXS302YOlo Exclusive: ABC news theme update back on agenda

5 Likes

A new theme would be awesome! The current one is inferior to both the 1980’s - 2005 and 2005 -2010 theme’s in my opinion.

1 Like

Knowing that it’s been said on this forum that ABC News is expected to get a refreshed look sometime soon and that they usually change the music to go with major branding changes (2010, 2005, 1998, the post-The National relaunch of ABC News in 1986), I don’t think that it’s really a surprise to anyone that they’re contemplating an update to the theme music.

On the topic at hand: Personally I’d prefer a completely new composition or at the very least, a decent update to the current theme music of ABC News on TV/ABC News 24. The pre-2005 theme was very good for it’s day, but sounds rather dated for the demands of a news bulletin in 2016 going on 2017 IMO.

And while Majestic Fanfare is a great piece of music, I really can’t imagine it working well on modern TV unless you were to heavily update it which would probably destroy the entire character of the original music and probably generate a lot of complaints, Seven News 2014-style!

2 Likes

I’d love to see the return of a modernised composition of the of the 1986-2005 ABC News theme, but the 2005 and the current one still sounds nice today too. A new theme would be interesting, but I’d miss the signature jingle. It would be hard to replicate something as iconic as that in Australian Television!

They’re all good, I can’t say I want any to be ditched. I love the radio theme on radio. I like the current TV theme on TV. I think it would be a loss if either were to go for the other, because they’re both hugely iconic sounds which basically define the ABC’s output.

I don’t think the ABC should bring back the old pre-2005 theme though. An excellent theme but the ABC made the decision to move away, and I don’t think I mind it being gone. It’s still iconic, nowadays as a dance track from Pendulum.

4 Likes

Some Rio graphics

1 Like

Those Graphics are beautiful! To think about the possible theme change again, I’ve grown to like the current theme since watching ABC News more frequently and think the current theme will do for now, but what ever ABC does for its News service, let’s hope it doesn’t bring an uproar as @SydneyCityTV mentioned. Things have to evolve eventually.

3 Likes

I agree. The current branding of ABC News has aged quite well after six years, however I certainly will look forward to any changes that may arise! :slight_smile:

2 Likes