ABC News Presenters and Reporters

Ummm…the skin complexion of a perpetrator is often if not always mentioned in any reports like this on any radio, tv station or newspaper, including the ABC.

Someone is nitpicking.

1 Like

I almost can’t be bothered with you, but:

1. As I already noted, but you unfortunately glanced over because you simply wanted to attack me, the perpetrator is already in custody - skin complexion is usually referred to when they are not in custody and the public (obviously) need assistance in identification.
  2. It’s not nitpicking - the police were clear in stating that any motivation for the crime is not known at this point, therefore the framing of the report as one of racial discrimination was wrong.
  3. The ABC uses Caucasian much more frequently than it does Aboriginal. When it means Aboriginal, the ABC uses the term “dark-skinned” (because race can’t simply be identified by one person’s sighting of skin colour). Have a search for “ABC offender described as Aboriginal” - not one result in the top 10 searches on Google (cf “ABC offender described as dark-skinned”). However, the racial term “Caucasian” is very often used, in contrast to what should be the corresponding term “fair-skinned”, used much more infrequently (and not in this instance, even though it was unnecessary in any case).

You have a staggeringly bad grasp of media issues if you think this is nitpicking or that the ABC implying racial motivation before the police have conducted enquiries and have determined so is a non-issue.

Given ive been in the media industry for almost 10 years, I gather i have a better grasp on media issues on my worst day, than you would on your best day

7 Likes

Paul Higgins presenting in Victoria this weekend.

4 Likes

Oh dear - with this grammar and poor syntax, I’d hate to think what sub-par publication you’re working for in that case! :wink: Then again, that is the state of the media industry these days - I’ve often commented on these boards about how it’s full of TAFE grads and others who are quite dim. Hence the record disillusionment the public now has with the media.

Quite unfortunate. Oh well.

Oh you sweet little hypocrite. Quite unfortunate that you decide to mock every hard working journalist who actually decides to post here.

Then again, since you don’t appear to understand the industry at all, seem to be a literacy and a media snob AND made disgusting hateful comments about Sophie Delezio (someone i will never forget) your opinion’s value is about the same as the Venezuelan Bolivar.

If Journalists like myself listened to what you had to say, then institutions like the ABC would have collapsed long ago.

2 Likes

I’m quite tired of your erratic ranting now.

It is as clear as day to me that the ABC should not be framing a report in terms of a crime being racially motivated, when police have explicitly said motive has not yet be determined.

Further, producing YouTube videos for your own company and casual traffic reporting is not “10 years in the media industry” as a “journalist” - brush up on the ethics of a journalist as a first step perhaps.

1 Like

Do you actually think that this is a respectful way to conduct yourself?

6 Likes

Absolutely. When you post re: your experience in the media industry as a reason WHY your posts carry greater legitimacy, then it’s a perfectly adequate response to question that. Personally, I do not want someone who can not construct a basic sentence in English stating that he has a “better grasp” of issues because of that (supposed) industry experience.

We have had many individuals on these boards over the years who are actually well known in the industry. If people hold themselves out to be someone they are not, that diminishes trust in the forum.

1 Like

To get to the crux of the issue, this individual accused me of nitpicking on the mistaken assumption that the perpetrator of this crime was not in custody and therefore identification was necessary by the ABC.

That was wrong. I indicated that in my next post.

An apology in the next post would have been nice, instead of belligerently telling me about how his worst day is better than my best day. Feel free matlock to address any substantive issues about ABC News here rather than jumping on a bandwagon to have a go at me.

Can we please stick to the topic of ABC News and not remark on everybody else

12 Likes

Chris Uhlmann leaving the ABC to be Laurie Oakes’ replacement at Channel 9.

10 Likes

Chris Uhlmann to depart ABC after two decades

After almost 20 years with the ABC Chris Uhlmann is moving to take up a new role with the Nine Network.

Chris joined the ABC in 1998 and has been one of its key editorial leaders and a highly valued part of the Canberra team. In January 2015 he was appointed ABC Political Editor, across television, radio and digital.

ABC Director, News Gaven Morris said: “Chris has made a huge contribution not only to the ABC but to Australian political journalism. He leaves with our warmest and highest regards and very best wishes for his future endeavours.

“Chris leaves the political coverage team in outstanding shape. It is a critical time in politics, at home and abroad, and our team has never been more strongly positioned to deliver the news, analysis and context Australians need in order to fully understand the issues and how they affect all of our lives.

“The ABC has always been home to the nation’s most authoritative and comprehensive political reporting, and we are currently working on plans to further extend our coverage and make it even more relevant and useful to our audiences.”

In a farewell message to his ABC colleagues, Chris said: “It is hard to leave the ABC. I do it with a heavy heart and a profound sense of gratitude. I go simply because I am seeking another challenge and believe that the time is right.

“The ABC is a national treasure. It has given me opportunities I never dared dream of, is home to some of the best journalists in the world and many of my best friends. I have not forgotten that the ABC took a risk appointing me to Parliament in 2006 and remember what I said at the end of my (second) interview: ‘I promise I won’t let you down.’ I have tried to honour my side of that pledge and know the ABC has honoured its end of the bargain.

“The roll of those I need to thank is too long for here, so I simply say I have learned something from all of you, will miss you, and I will be in touch. I will not be a commentator on what you do but I will be avidly watching and listening. Godspeed.”

6 Likes

Crikey got its wish, but he walked. From last week:

2 Likes

I didn’t realise there was so much extreme dislike for Chris Uhlmann especially among ABC fans. “LNP sympathiser” his departure being celebrated by many.

1 Like

I would’ve thought that Lane Calcutt was the successor for Laurie Oakes as Nine’s political editor, knowing that Lane was the network’s next senior reporter in Canberra after Laurie retired.

In any case, Chris Uhlmann is a major coup for Nine.

9 Likes

It’s bizarre. I never picked up any perceived bias from Uhlmann either way.

2 Likes

Another big loss to the ABC after Jim Middleton took redundancy in 2014 to join Sky News.
I wonder who will replace Chris Uhlmann as political editor. Sabra Lane? Leigh Sales? Or an outsider?

3 Likes

Sarah Ferguson please. She’ll scare the daylights out of every politician in the joint.

Great get by Nine.

9 Likes

Uhlmann’s wife is Gai Brotmann (sp) - Labor member.

His LNP bias is well-known and a source of derision on social media. It’s never really bothered me. I consider him a pretty good operator.

5 Likes