ABC News Presenters and Reporters

Ben Knight presenting live on the hill across Tullamarine Freeway from Essendon Airport DFO for today’s bulletin after this morning’s plane crash. You can notice there are two other reporters on his left doing live crosses for other networks.

2 Likes

Ben crossed to Tamara in the studio at 7.08pm for the rest of today’s news.

Why on earth can’t Perth get the backdrop in the correct ratio?

2 Likes

It’s been like that for a while now. Can’t believe they still haven’t realised/fixed it yet.

There will be a new weather graphics system with the coming rebrand of ABC News. Apparently the state forecasters have been learning about it this week:

7 Likes

The new weather graphics must be the “new technology” that will be added in the rebrand :wink: These changes appear to not just be at the flagship studios! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When did ABC News Perth start having a weather presenter?

1 Like

Why can’t we just go back to days of pull out wooden boards with isobars, temperatures, etc stuck on them? :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

From the info I can gather online, Rebecca Dollery has been the Weather Presenter on ABC News Western Australia since July 2014.

1 Like

#brianbury #oldschool #stickers

5 Likes

Can’t wait to see how Jenny Woodward’s wardrobe choices will clash with the new graphics

Didn’t she just sit at the desk for years reading the autocue ‘presenting’ weather?

No she stands infront of a greenscreen nowadays. Such is the technological advancement at the ABC.

It used to presented at 6:55pm.

The last time it was broadcast was March 1985. This is Bruce Paige presenting the last Queensland program featuring “the only original program theme still in use”. It was replaced when the short-lived The National was introduced.

Does anyone know what happened to former ABC News Victoria reader Kathy Bowlen?

And that shot of her at the start…

4 Likes

@sammy123 Kathy is currently working as media & communications manager for St Vincent’s hospital here in Melbourne, saw her on Today Show a few months ago representing the hospital.

1 Like

According to The Australian, an internal review of ABC News operations last year finds the broadcaster is in a quandary over declining and ageing audiences for its TV news and current affairs programs, with ABC News reaching just 31 per cent of audiences each week via TV, but is growing audiences via computers and digital devices especially in podcasts. The report points out 82 per cent of viewers who watch the 7pm bulletin is over 50, comparing with 69 per cent for Seven News. What does ABC need to do to attract younger people to watch the bulletin, knowing it is fighting for the demographic with the second half of The Project on Ten and Home and Away on Seven? Is it possible for ABC to lure people disillusioned with the soap to watch the news instead?
Also, I think the 7pm bulletin (just in Victoria) has too much world and national news at the moment, so people like me who arrive home late after work have to catch up on local news on the websites of The Age and/or Herald Sun, or on Seven News Melbourne Twitter which uploads clips from the 6pm bulletin minutes after broadcast. For example, on tonight’s bulletin there was part 2 of Lisa Miller’s report on Russia under the rule of Vladimir Putin (part 1 was on Sunday) and a report on Queensland Government appointing an Adani company director to chair the authority overseeing the Abbot Point coal port in central Queensland, despite being warned of “potential conflicts of interest” as Adani runs the only operating coal terminal at Abbot Point. The latter was totally irrelevant to victoria.
ABC should consider moving some world and national news reports to News 24 and add more local and statewide news to the main channel bulletin. Also it needs to add more sports reports, as on some nights there is only one sports item before the weather.

Absolutely. When I turn on ‘ABC News South Australia’ to see the same stories I’ve already seen on News24 being replayed, meanwhile miss local news I have seen on the other stations, it doesn’t seem right. Some nights the 7pm bulletin will have 2 or 3 state stories, I mean don’t they have a newsroom full of staff in each city?

Exactly, especially since everyone has access to the ABC News 24 channel now. If members of the public have an urge to view word news they can just switch the channel.

Agree. News 24 and all digital and social channels (online, the app, messenger, Facebook, YouTube) all have a national focus.

Also news breakfast, midday news, 5pm news and lateline all have a national focus

7pm is the only avenue that allows for state content - it should be focused on that.

1 Like