ABC News Presenters and Reporters

2 Likes

This is a big loss.
Loved watching Eliza when she filled on the weekends during Summer.

1 Like

I didn’t know Eliza Harvey’s mother is veteran broadcaster Geraldine Doogue, until I visit the Long Distance Call website mentioned in the tweet above.

1 Like

Joe O’Brien on a break

4 Likes

Georgie Tunny has announced her resignation after 8 years with ABC.

1 Like

Georgie is joining News Corp’s streaming service Flash.

Not sure if she will continue to appear on The Project in the future.

2 Likes

Not for a while now.

The way the ABC treated Tunny has been puzzling to say at least. Not long ago, she was a key member of the News Breakfast team and seemed like being the ‘natural’ successor to Paul Kennedy. However, she moved across to the newsroom in February to be a general sports reporter and has rarely been seen on ABC screens since then. Now she’s moving to a fledgling news streaming service to do cheap and cheerful (describing the format, not her role) updates.

Can’t help but think the ABC have let a talented all-rounder slip through their fingers.

9 Likes

Is it though?

Agree… Although personally I find weird that anyone would want to leave the state broadcaster for a role at NewsCorpse…

Same but I guess money talks :pensive:

2 Likes

The ABC is a public broadcaster, not a state broadcaster.

She’s popped up quite a bit on the 7pm news including presenting the weather but that’s not nationally so it could been seen as a lower profile. Has also been producing including Offsiders so although not ween on air has probably gained a lot of experience and moved on for better money.

4 Likes

Agree with the notion that Aunty has lost one of their best talents in Melbourne. From News Breakfast to 7pm news she’s definitely proven to be a massive talent who could host news programs, do sports and weather without much problems. It appears that with the recent rise in the prominence of Iskandar Razak and Tony Armstrong (both of whom are excellent talents in their own rights) Georgie appears to have been sidelined from an on-air perspective.

If 10 had been a serious player in the news game then they should’ve considered hiring her, ditto for Nine and Seven. In any cases hopefully Georgie will shine in her new role.

5 Likes

Not that this really needs to be said, but…

Seven are making cutbacks, while Nine seems to have a glut of female talent in their newsrooms across the country.

Well said.

Best of luck to Georgie Tunny in her new role presenting “News Flash” segments on Flash, but it really does seem like a weird backwards move. To put things into perspective, I reckon even joining SCA to be a presenter for their cheap as chips “Local Updates” might be a more fulfilling prospect for any broadcast journalist.

Huh? She’s regularly had the first sport story in the highest rating bulletin each each week, with a few extra minutes thrown into her package to allow for her format/writing.

Seems like a risky move to shift away from the ABC. Reckon she won’t last at Flash for too long.

3 Likes

Graham Creed is back presenting 7pm weather in NSW.

I assume he’s been off on holidays?

4 Likes

OH my lord!

6 Likes

He should go back to dancing.

1 Like

Patricia Karvelas hosted a show tonight called “States of Corruption.”
On the ABC News In-Depth Youtube channel it broadcasted a uninterrupted feed of a rehearsal just before the show went live. Here is the video incase you wanted to see it. Ive added the Newschannel feed to show what’s going on on the main channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btJbJilmvbE

4 Likes
1 Like