ABC News History

The retro opener and footage from past bulletins were also shown in Victoria tonight.

2 Likes

Angela Pearman.

4 Likes

And been a lawyer since the mid 90s.

3 Likes

I found this on one of my Adelaide tapes (which I recently purchased off eBay for a bargain price) a few days ago; an ABC News SA newsbreak from the 29th January 1998. :slight_smile:

At first I didn’t think there was anything particularly special about it, but SydneyCityTV informed me on Twitter that this update may have aired just days after the 1998 on-air package was launched, so I thought some of you may be interested to see it as a result.

5 Likes

And a trailblazer for ABC, she was ABC TV’s first female newsreader back in 1978. (Susannah Carr in Perth apparently made her newsreading debut for ABC TV a day later!)

margaretthrosby

Source: TV Scene

5 Likes

Pretty much everyone of a certain age is familiar with the legendary ABC News television theme composed by Peter Wall & Tony Ansell that was used in ABC News television bulletins from 1985-2005 (If you aren’t you can find it in the link below)

But what a lot of people may not know is that the original version was only used up until the end of 1997.

From 1998 until 2005 a slightly different mix was used which removed much of the 1980s synth sound while also adding in brass horns. This version of the ABC News theme has for want of a better word been lost, as no clean recordings can be found anywhere online.

There are several YouTube videos (linked below) of news bulletins from 1998-2005 that do include the theme but all are either extremely short, poor quality or have the newsreader talking over the music.

Pretty much all other ABC News themes are available online in a clean instrumental form. I’ve been personally searching for the 1998-2005 version for many, many months now and have even contacted the ABC Archives who have informed me that the only way to get a copy is to licence it.

If anyone out there for one reason or another has access to a clean copy or has any old recordings of ABC News bulletins from 1998-2005 please do get in touch.

5 Likes

Bring the theme back !!

1 Like

I’m looking for this too. The only instrumental version I can find is here: ABC NEWS​ Australia intro instrumental 1998-2005 - YouTube but it’s low quality.

2 Likes

News update and Lateline promo from 10 February 1994:

2 Likes

News update and Lateline promo from 28 September 1994:

2 Likes

Evening news update from 4th November 2001:

1 Like

Here’s something I found on YouTube, an ABC News WA bulletin with Dave Ellery from 1986:

youtube.com/watch?v=oZWMwXn7cWs

3 Likes

One from my collection - the 2017 ABC News Queensland set.

7 Likes

April 6 1995 ABC News

4 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

From Wednesday May 10, 1995.

1 Like

From the morning of April 18, 1995:

From April 20, 1995:

4 Likes

First Edition was a 30 minute bulletin at 7.00am weekdays yes?

3 Likes

How long did First Edition last for?

1 Like