ABC News Content and Appearance

Do we reckon that ABC News will go HD on the same day in all states/territories (except Victoria which already has it of course) or is it going to be a gradual process?

1 Like

I would say at the same time, one station is doing a shutdown every 1-2 weeks until they are all HD ready, and then they will play-out in HD at once.

News 24 didn’t produce from Sydney for 3 days because of it.

1 Like

One perk about ABC is that all stations other than Sydney have almost identical sets at the moment, so most viewers don’t notice a difference at all. They can still show the pre-recorded “sky-cam” too.

2 Likes

If what you’re saying is true, then I expect ABC News (channel) to go MPEG4 HD?

In your dreams, yes.

Why would they bother upgrading News 24 to HD-ready if it will never be seen in HD (for the time being at least)?

Well all bulletins get relayed to a central location from local control rooms and played out to all the states. It would be efficient to play-out everything in High Definition, even if it isn’t shown in HD.

Plus isn’t News 24 used during daytime bulletins on the main channel?

3 Likes

Forgot about that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Does ABC have the space to make ABC News Channel HD?

Or would they make kids / comedy HD first as it’s more watched

With eight extra radio channels recently added to the DVB-T multiplexes, I reckon the only way that any of the ABC’s multichannels could go HD is if they were made an MPEG4 exclusive.

For quite obvious reasons (being a taxpayer-funded national broadcaster with an aim to provide services to all Australians), I can’t see this happening anytime soon.

Which no one asked for.

Canberra last night:

1 Like

ABC Qld got some of Nine’s Riverfire coverage to air at the end of tonight’s bulletin plus some without watermark, probaly shot from the ABC studios at Southbank though it could have been any fireworks display!

3 Likes

They do have a front row seat from their balcony which is 3 stories up.

ABC News NT is now creating a weekly news wrap in the Indigenous language “Yolngu Matha”.

4 Likes

ACT News tonight:

2 Likes

From tonight, ABC News will have six weeks of special reports as part of Australia Talks series. According to the website, the project aims to create a better understanding of modern life in Australia by asking questions about the attitudes, behaviours, and experiences of people from all walks of life.

Late News last night with Lorna Dunkley presenting:

3 Likes