ABC News Content and Appearance

Definitely not Melbourne…. It’s Singapore

Does it honestly matter what city it is? The normal viewer doesn’t care

2 Likes

Why did the ABC even use a cityscape backdrop when Aston is in the low density eastern suburbs?

1 Like

It’s not Hobart if that helps anybody at all.

5 Likes

Too glamorous to be Adelaide :crazy_face:

From the SMH article that was linked in the ‘ABC Operations’ thread:

Another key change is already under way: the reduction in local news stories in the 7pm state bulletins. Two media sources familiar with the plans said management had decided to reduce the number of state-based stories to a maximum of five per bulletin, with a greater emphasis on nationwide and international news.

An ABC spokesperson said the move is an attempt to allow the broadcaster to focus more on digital video while maintaining the quality of the bulletin.

Idiots.

1 Like

Awful. Why is there a target anyway in the first place. All stories should be picked on merit for that states audience.

2 Likes

I did notice there were some nationwide stories on the Victorian bulletins in recent weeks. I do wonder if some of the stories were relevant to the state though.

1 Like

The Queensland bulletin is bad enough already; seems to have a lot less local content than the one hour commercials can fit in.

2 Likes

I also think that ABC should concentrate a better mix with the 7 o’clock news especially across the larger states of Qld and WA as well as the fact that with a 24/7 news channel some of those other stories would be a better fit within say “the world” etc.

This allows more stories from rural areas and hopefully highlights the diverse needs and discussions happening in those neighbourhoods that leaderships in councils and governments could then act on.

Even more so since the local edition of 7:30 was removed years ago.

1 Like

Here in SA, if we get 5 local stories we’d be lucky… I recon 3 or 4 local packages absolute max.

1 Like

Seems there might not be a hard and fast rule to this “only 5 a bulletin rule”. Tonight’s ABC QLD News bulleting featured 7 QLD news items. However 5 of those were presenter V/O only stories of about 30-45 seconds each. Perhaps more flexibility if the stories are RVO?

1 Like

Given that ABC News is the only useful local TV News we have in Canberra, this is an insane decision for us locally.

5 ‘Packages’ max. I believe it’s a guideline, not set in stone.

1 Like

I would think it’s fair to say that people aren’t going to the ABC News at 7pm for a comprehensive local news wrap. They leave that for the commercial stations.
I know people who’ll ask ‘why isn’t this on the news?’ then say ‘Oh I only watch ABC’ when you tell them it’s been all over the news.

I’d say more and more people are going to the ABC for state and local news due to the quality and story selection being put forward by commercial tv, radio and papers.

It’s the only outlet for any decent reporting on major state issues, commercials are too focused on local car crashes or whinging traders

6 Likes

I have noticed what seems like a reduction in Local stories on ABC TV Tasmania News too.

I don’t understand why they wouldn’t want to be super local, and leave the national stories to News24…

1 Like

Can’t say I’ve seen a whinging tradie on the 6pm news recently.
My point, and previous points, remain. The ABC simply doesn’t try to be a hyper local news source, nor is it where people would think to look for local stories.

Exactly!

ABC in Melbourne seem to have cafe owner operators on speed dial whatever the issue is.

1 Like